Canon USA announces VIXIA HF S11 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old August 19th, 2009, 07:07 AM   #1
Obstreperous Rex

Canon USA announces VIXIA HF S11

CANON U.S.A. ANNOUNCES A POWERFUL NEW ADDITION TO ITS
AWARD-WINNING LINE OF VIXIA HIGH-DEFINITION CAMCORDERS

Canon’s VIXIA HF S11 Dual Flash Memory Camcorder Features 64GB of Internal Flash Memory and a Host of Refinements Allowing Longer Recording Time and Greater Shooting Flexibility

LAKE SUCCESS, N.Y., August 19, 2009 – Canon U.S.A., Inc., a leader in digital imaging, has introduced a new flagship model to its 2009 VIXIA high-definition camcorder line, the VIXIA HF S11 Dual Flash Memory camcorder. For those video enthusiasts looking to capture the moment in breathtaking HD quality, the VIXIA HF S11 provides advanced HD features and professional-level manual controls. Additionally, Canon announced a new camcorder accessory, the RA-V1 Remote Control Adapter for professional-level functionality when shooting from a tripod.

The VIXIA HF S11 retains Canon’s core imaging technologies, but adds several new features that enhance operability and deliver unsurpassed image quality. The VIXIA HF S11 offers the ability to record up to 24 hours of crisp high-definition video to a 64GB internal flash drive and the option of recording video directly to removable SDHC memory cards for fast and easy sharing of memories. Two new features that help enhance the video capture and viewing experience are Canon’s new Dynamic SuperRange OIS system, which delivers the ultimate in shake correction by providing continuous adjustment throughout the entire zoom range, and an Advanced Video Snapshot Mode which allows you to create the perfect highlight movie to share with family and friends by recording a series of four second clips when in shooting mode as well as in playback mode.

“Canon’s latest enhancements to our acclaimed and ever-popular VIXIA line of high-definition camcorders improve the overall shooting experience and enable users more flexibility when shooting and storing their memories,” said Yuichi Ishizuka, senior vice president and general manager, Consumer Imaging Group, Canon U.S.A. “Canon continues to take the lead in providing products that offer superb image quality and value for the end-user.”

The VIXIA HF S11 features a Genuine Canon HD Video Lens, Canon designed and manufactured 8.59-megapixel Full HD CMOS Image Sensor and Canon DIGIC DV III Image Processor, all of which allow the camcorder to produce breathtaking video and stunning 8.0 megapixel photos. It also features Genuine Canon Face Detection, Instant AutoFocus, and the ability to record in 24p Cinema Mode or 30p Progressive Mode. In addition, the VIXIA HF S11 offers manual gain control limits and manual focus controls found in professional camcorders.

As a new accessory, the RA-V1 Remote Control Adapter provides the VIXIA HF S11 with a LANC terminal for connecting optional Canon (ZR-1000 and ZR-2000) and third-party wired remote controllers. This adapter fits into the Mini Advanced Accessory Shoe for controlling various camcorder functions, such as power on/off, record start/stop, zooming and focus, and is ideal when used on a tripod.

Scheduled to be available in mid-September, the Canon VIXIA HF S11 Dual Flash Memory Camcorder, as well as the RA-V1 Remote Control Adapter, sell for an estimated retail price of $1,399.99* and $120*, respectively.

Canon iMAGE GATEWAY
Canon iMAGE GATEWAY is an exclusive online photography resource and service for registered owners of qualified Canon products. Users can upload and share photos and videos with friends and family if they have registered certain qualifying products via their Canon Account. Members also gain access to informative photography-related articles on topics such as macro shooting, portrait photography, printing tips and print projects to get the most out of their photos. Registered qualifying PowerShot digital cameras owners are able to customize their Canon camera with great start-up images and sounds. The Video Podcast Service – available for qualifying camera and video product owners – enables members to upload videos to be shared and viewed, which can also be used with Apple's iTunes® and downloaded to access on an Apple iPod® or iPhone™ mobile device.

About Canon U.S.A., Inc.
Canon U.S.A., Inc. is a leading provider of consumer, business-to-business, and industrial digital imaging solutions. Its parent company, Canon Inc. (NYSE:CAJ), a top patent holder of technology, ranked third overall in the U.S. in 2008†, with global revenues of US $45 billion, is listed as number four in the computer industry on Fortune Magazine's World’s Most Admired Companies 2009 list, and is on the 2008 BusinessWeek list of "Top 100 Brands." At Canon, we care because caring is essential to living together in harmony. Founded upon a corporate philosophy of Kyosei – “all people, regardless of race, religion or culture, harmoniously living and working together into the future” – Canon U.S.A. supports a number of social, youth, educational and other programs, including environmental and recycling initiatives. Additional information about these programs can be found at About Canon: Corporate Philosophy.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2009, 07:31 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Photos... click to embiggen.
Attached Thumbnails
Canon USA announces VIXIA HF S11-hfs11a.jpg   Canon USA announces VIXIA HF S11-hfs11b.jpg  

Canon USA announces VIXIA HF S11-hfs11c.jpg   Canon USA announces VIXIA HF S11-hfs11d.jpg  

Old August 19th, 2009, 07:33 AM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

So who else agrees with me that this is pretty big news -- copied from the press release above:

"As a new accessory, the RA-V1 Remote Control Adapter provides the VIXIA HF S11 with a LANC terminal for connecting optional Canon (ZR-1000 and ZR-2000) and third-party wired remote controllers. This adapter fits into the Mini Advanced Accessory Shoe for controlling various camcorder functions, such as power on/off, record start/stop, zooming and focus, and is ideal when used on a tripod."
Attached Thumbnails
Canon USA announces VIXIA HF S11-rav1a.jpg  

Old August 19th, 2009, 11:30 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
Photos... click to embiggen.
Thanks for the cromulent photos. Looks very similar to the HF S10. I wonder if the sensor changed at all.
Daniel Browning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2009, 12:10 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
So who else agrees with me that this is pretty big news -- copied from the press release above:

"As a new accessory, the RA-V1 Remote Control Adapter provides the VIXIA HF S11 with a LANC terminal for connecting optional Canon (ZR-1000 and ZR-2000) and third-party wired remote controllers. This adapter fits into the Mini Advanced Accessory Shoe for controlling various camcorder functions, such as power on/off, record start/stop, zooming and focus, and is ideal when used on a tripod."
It's interesting to see that a LANC type interface is returning to the Canon lines - I'm betting the capability has always been there, just never enabled. I know there's a terminal in the Sony AiShoe that has the LANC label... parallel with the A/V jack, so it wouldn't be a surprise that there's been a signal point there in the Canon accessory shoe. - would be interesting to know if it's backward compatible - do earlier models have the connection?

$120 is quite a lot for an "adapter" to allow you to use a LANC (if I read it right, you still have to ADD a controller...). Considering you can buy a basic Sony LANC for the A/V interface for around $50 or an adapter cable for an existing LANC for around $35, $120 seems a bit excessive, but at least it's available.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2009, 12:53 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Blackhurst View Post
would be interesting to know if it's backward compatible - do earlier models have the connection?
From what I've read, Dave, it's not. :P

According to Canon's site it's only these two cams....VIXIA HF S11 & VIXIA HF21.

Still, the LANC really changes my purchase planning. I had intended to "upgrade" from my DVXb cams to the HFS100, probably three or four of them for loads of coverage at weddings, etc (yeah, I know about the "pro" look, hehe) but when I saw an actual LANC for the HFS11 I am now thinking of delaying my purchases.

Having said that I wonder if there will be an HFS110...without internal memory and several hundred dollars cheaper.

Anyone know?

Oh, and thanks, Chris, for the info.

sincerely,

ian
Ian Slessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2009, 01:43 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Well, there are these things called "undocumented features", such as the LANC in the A/V jack on Sony cameras - it was THERE as early as the HC3 (not on the HC1 though, which used the "standard" LANC jack), but not fully documented how to access it, and I know it's also called out on the AIShoe...

I reverse engineered their Sport Packs to figure out the hack at the A/V jack as a workaround - ended up just buying their AV2 when it came out as it was cheap and did what I needed. Now there are adapter cables too, just took time for the hack to filter through to the Chinese aftermarket suppliers...

SO, until one takes the Canon adapter, a LANC controller, and an "older" canon camera of the model they are thinking about and tries it, it's hard to say, but I'd "suspect" it is more likely there than not... unless they JUST decided to enable it.

Thing is, these new cams are evolutionary, not revolutionary, meaning that they likely didn't redesign mainboards, tooling, and hardware - if you look at it carefully, they added more memory, and announced a "new" feature - more accurately a way to ACCESS that "new" feature.

The odds favor the same "feature" being there on the earlier HF-S series at the least, simply because they are the same under the skin (same skin actually!) as the HF-S11. IIRC the "super OIS" and memory snapshot are not new, or did they update/upgrade those as well? Seems like I've seen them on the earlier cams.

My point being that it takes time to engineer a camera from a blank sheet of paper, and the "hardware" isn't easy to alter or change, but adding, altering, or deleting a feature or two in firmware is not a big deal if the hardware supports it.

If anyone has Canon service manuals for the earlier cams, it should be possible to examine the schematics and block diagrams and determine if the LANC interface is there as well.

FWIW, I'm a "small cam shooter" myself (4x XR500V's at the moment), and while I know the "big cam" image is lacking, I'd rather have multiple angles from small discreet cams, and I think you get better results if it's done right, plus it's less intrusive. I've got a couple LANCs to use for plays, etc, where I'm manning several cams on one spot, and I'll mount one on my homebrew shoulder rig for control while shooting that setup. It's just a handy option to have, glad to see it returning to Canon, competition is good!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2009, 01:55 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
The odds favor the same "feature" being there on the earlier HF-S series at the least...
I hope you're right. :)
That would be awesome to be able to use the RA-V1 LANC on the HFS100.

hmmm. Anyone wanna hack away and see if it's viable? ;)

Quote:
FWIW, I'm a "small cam shooter" myself (4x XR500V's at the moment), and while I know the "big cam" image is lacking, I'd rather have multiple angles from small discreet cams, and I think you get better results if it's done right, plus it's less intrusive. I've got a couple LANCs to use for plays, etc, where I'm manning several cams on one spot, and I'll mount one on my homebrew shoulder rig for control while shooting that setup. It's just a handy option to have, glad to see it returning to Canon, competition is good!
Good to know that "small cam shooting" is a viable option. Especially with the quality of these smaller cams increasing every iteration.

sincerely,

ian
Ian Slessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2009, 01:58 PM   #9
Obstreperous Rex

Emailed a query into one of my contacts at Canon USA and this is his reply:

"The RA-V1 will only be compatible with the VIXIA HF S11. It will not work with any of the previous models."

Old August 19th, 2009, 02:17 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Typical Canon. I suppose in January there will be new models that tack on an extra feature or two (direct 24p recording, etc.) as well. Seems like there is never a good time to buy a Canon cam because something newer and better is always just around the corner.
Xian Messerschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2009, 02:24 PM   #11
Obstreperous Rex

Take out "Canon" and insert the name of any other Japanese electronics / camera manufacturer and your statement is still true. It's not a situation that is unique to Canon by any means. The product revs always happen in January and again at this time of year... it should be no surprise at all. And if you have a need now, then now is always the best time to buy.

Old August 19th, 2009, 02:43 PM   #12
Contributor

Yep, there is always a new one right around the corner. Same for computers. The minute you buy one, the Next Big Thing is announced. Buy when you need it, if you don't need it, don't buy.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2009, 03:15 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Like Chris says, there are release cycles. For instance, now is a bad time to buy an Intel system, since the i7 and i5 processors will become available for a new socket within a month or so. The i7 920 processor remains a nice product for performance at a value, but it's a bit long in the tooth right now.

On the other hand, AMD's Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition was recently introduced as AMD's fastest chip ever, and is being bundled with moththerboards for a small discount. It's a nice buy today and will probably be a bit cheaper next month when the new Intel chips start flowing.

Buying computer technology is like buying produce. It's best when bought fresh at mainstream prices. :)
Old August 19th, 2009, 03:56 PM   #14
Obstreperous Rex

So... back on topic, here's a shot of the RA-V1 mounted on an HF S11. Photo credit goes to Matthew Fitzgerald
of CNet; from Lori Grunin's story at Canon's top-end consumer HD camcorder improves stability | Crave - CNET

(edit: the controller on the pan handle is the Canon ZR-2000).
Attached Thumbnails
Canon USA announces VIXIA HF S11-img_2815_610x452.jpg  

Old August 19th, 2009, 05:11 PM   #15
Major Player

Seems like that controller has a lot of functions on it.

You've got the zoom rocker, a dial top center, numerous buttons and a "thumb" dial on the side.

Be nice to get a closeup of the details.
Ian Slessor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News