Apple's iPod....you can't tell me.... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old November 25th, 2004, 10:45 AM   #16
Major Player

Like it or not, Mac or pc user, the iPod is the most popular music player since the Walkman. This is despite the fact that the cheapest iPod is at least twice as expensive as its "competitors". Apple has time and time again said that it is not a PDA platform.
Old November 25th, 2004, 10:36 PM   #17
Wrangler

Jeff, they are definitely using USB ports, although I know at least one of them did go to the Apple site for updates.

I could tell them about the firewire, but I might wait until another one of their Ipods conks out and I get it for free and "fix" it.

Dave, and rightfully so. They took a market and made it theirs, can't argue against success. All I'm saying, is, well, I forget, cause I'm going to score a free Ipod for sure now. :)
Old November 26th, 2004, 04:28 PM   #18
Inner Circle

I got my niece a pmp-120 for her birthday. It rocks. It can also act as a server to transfer picutures from your digital camera or music from another device. It plays divx, mpeg4 and other formats along with music formats. Built like a tank and the battery is removable/replacable.
Joe Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2004, 10:53 PM   #19
Wrangler

Man that iRiver is awsome! Looks to be about the size of an Ipod too.
Old November 27th, 2004, 09:44 PM   #20
Major Player

Isn't the iRiver 120 series th eonly current models than can record through line-in? Is it capable of providing us DVers with a secondary recorder (like th eoriginal minidisc players used to be) ?
Old November 27th, 2004, 10:57 PM   #21
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Seems to me the best combination would be a PDA phone + MP3 player + satellite radio tuner. People carry their phones everywhere... but if you have an MP3 player that connects to your car stereo, you have to carry that too. And then if you want a satellite radio receiver, and have the versatility of having it connect in home and in the car, you have to carry that, too. It would be nice to have one thing that does it all.

I already have the Treo 600 which is a PDA and phone and also plays MP3s. Haven't figured out yet how to attach it to the car stereo, or even if that's possible.
John Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2004, 04:37 AM   #22
Wrangler

John:

I too have a 600 and have only scratched the surface with the MP3 aspect--are you using the Missing Sync software?

Also, thanks for pointing out that there was another thread going--I'll repost the unit I mentioned in that thread here:

DVX/Pod
Old November 28th, 2004, 12:35 PM   #23
Wrangler

I was using a friend's Treo 600 while on working vacation once.
I liked it as a PDA, but hated it as a cell phone. Very good for games though, although his only had a 4### colour display.
Old November 29th, 2004, 10:47 AM   #24
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Charles,

If you go to the Treo site and register your phone, at the end they'll give you the option to download one of two free gifts offered. One of them is an MP3 player that works great!

Hold on though...I can't remember if it's for registering the phone, or for registering the Palm software. I'll check into it and let you know. You'll need to have the extra memory card to use it.

Dylan...how come you don't like it as a cell phone???
John Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2004, 11:37 AM   #25
Inner Circle

Andrew, all the HD based irivers, whethere video, picture or audio only, have a line in and can record audio without a pc. They can record up to 16bit48khz stereo, but selecting high bitrate mp3 (350kb) might be a better option to save disk space. Plus they have no way to adjust loudness. Best if hooked up to a small field mixer or something like a beachtek.

The new pmp 120 can copy pictures, audio and video from just about any source via usb. Even another player as long as the file system is based on existing standards. From what I've heard, it's using an embedded version of linux to do everything.
Joe Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2004, 02:24 PM   #26
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by John Locke :

Dylan...how come you don't like it as a cell phone??? -->>>

Simply for the ergonomics. I just didn't like the way it felt in my hand or against my ear. That's all.
Old November 30th, 2004, 05:24 PM   #27
Major Player

It's all about Toshiba, or whoever will make the highspeed super mini harddrives to Power the IPOD. They can only go as fast as the HD manufacturers.

I'm going to break down and buy a flash Ipod Micro when they whip it out, for say..$99.00
Old November 30th, 2004, 10:37 PM   #28
Wrangler

How much HD space do you need in an MP3 player???
80gb for the latest Ipod? That's crazy. I know, I know.... It's still crazy.
Old November 30th, 2004, 11:06 PM   #29
Warden

It's also a FireWire hard drive. I use it in working on computers and it carries a complete Mac OS X start-up system. It also carries complete diagnostic programs for working on Macs. It syncs with my Palm, phone and calendar on by Power Mac and Power Book. I transfer files and data with it (including gigs of digital photos) from by home to my office. It's much more than a MP3 player.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2004, 12:37 PM   #30
Machinist Mate

I'll say it is! That's more than the HDD on my laptop! I only went with a 20GB pod, even that's big and I'm still less than half full. Plenty of room to bring projects to and from work. That is, when they're too big to fit on the CF card out of my camera.

BTW, I still can't see myself taking anything like a Treo, Palmpilot, or even a future iPod and holding it up to my head as a cellphone handset! Talk about lousy ergonomics to say nothing of looking silly. My attitude is, the less other gadgets you add to a cellphone, the more likely it is to work well in its original intended function--as a phone! And don't even get me started on camera phones! There are places where I have worked that don't even allow you to bring them in, due to security issues. So, the guy with the plain ol' cellphone is actually better off. Funny, they don't let you take pictures there, but they let people walk in and out every day with laptops and related data storage devices--how much confidential material could a sneaky employee or consultant steal with the available space on a iPod?? :-)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News