Apple's iPod....you can't tell me.... - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old July 20th, 2005, 09:57 AM   #46
Trustee

I was just kidding...a long time ago I said video pods were coming and everyone slammed me. I was right :)
Old September 7th, 2005, 07:29 PM   #47
Major Player

Hey, I never tried doing any video on previous versions of Itunes, but I just downloaded 5.0 and it allowed me to import Quicktime and MPEG video!!!! I was amazed...if this is a new feature that is extremely cool and even more evidence of a video IPOD...if its not a new feature I've apparently been missing out...
Noah Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2005, 08:13 PM   #48
Regular Crew

New iPod

iPod Nano

http://www.apple.com/ipodnano/
Thoughts & Philosophies: http://jkohli.blogspot.com

"The most important thing is to enjoy life, to be happy, that's all that matters." --Audrey Hepburn
Justin Kohli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2005, 10:20 PM   #49
Major Player

HOW DID I MISS THAT? That's amazing! I love my 30 gig but I gotta have one of those...but still, the question at hand...anyone else notice the unmentioned video capabilities of 5.0 or was that available before? I didn't think Jobs would talk about it until the was a mobile product to support and be like " Hey and guess what...the Itunes you been using for the past month can already import video"
Noah Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2005, 06:07 AM   #50
Major Player

Noah,

This begs the question: what happens if tries to sync their video playlist in iTunes with a color screen iPod? Very interesting. I wish I had a color screen iPod to try it with. I have an iPod Mini which now is discontinued since they introduced the Nano.

Video playback has been part of iTunes since 4.8. There are music videos in the iTunes Store as well.
Old September 8th, 2005, 07:26 AM   #51
Trustee

All Apple has to do is look at the Sony PSP. It plays movies in 16:9, displays photos, plays MP3, has built-in WiFi and wireless internet browser, plays video games etc.........if Apple made something along the lines of the PSP they'd have a HIT!

(I was browsing these forums while in bed with the PSP web browser- worked like a charm- what a cool device the PSP is!)

<< I even encoded a home video shot in HDV with the FX1 and it played wonderfully- the PSP is really super. >>
Old September 8th, 2005, 07:31 AM   #52
Major Player

um...I beleive they already have quite a few hits with iPod and iTunes. 80% market share qualifies as a hit.
Old September 8th, 2005, 08:27 AM   #53
Trustee

Dave- I'm talking nextwave- the video version. The new nano is really cool- but I'm waiting for a video version! If they take some clues from the PSP I think they'd do well!
Old September 9th, 2005, 08:58 PM   #54
Regular Crew

I have a 40GB iPod and a 30GB iPod photo.

I tried to hold out for a video iPod, but I couldn't resist (multiple times).

My two main issues with the PSP are 1)No Hard Drive and 2)Too big.

The PSP is a little too big to carry around in my front pocket. I wouldn't mind if they cut the screen down a little bit, it'd still be fine for watching half hour cartoons and my own video clips.

My number one wish is for Apple to unlock the magic recipe that allows my iPod photo to play video via a firmware upgrade. But it might not be possible. :(

It would be interesting to see Apple release a new category altogether. Keep the iPod and its small screen as one product, and a new iPod sized video player with a larger screen (and smaller scrollwheel?)

That way Apple can keep the iPod as a music device. I agree that if they tackled something like the PSP it would be an awesome product.
Patrick Swinnea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2005, 10:31 AM   #55
Regular Crew

I have Linux installed on my mini iPod. You can change the headphone-into a mic-in with a little piece of software. I record concerts on that little bad boy. I just stumbled upon this thread and I thought it was kind of funny that I was listening to mine at the same time.

What's with people hating the iPod? Well, I can understand the Shuffle...but other than that, I'd say they're pretty innovative and whatnot. The iPod nano is just insane.
Nick Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2005, 08:53 AM   #56
MPS Digital Studios

I think getting rid of the iPod mini for the Nano, which has half the capacity of the iPod mini may be a mistake. But the size is nice.

My 3rd iPod since last Christmas just froze up again. WHY, Apple?! (I had an iPod, first generation, back in early 2002 with a bad battery, so they gave me the 2nd generation iPod which is HUGE by today's standards.) I guess I'll get an iPod color this time.

heath
Old September 11th, 2005, 10:55 AM   #57
Air China Pilot

My girlfriend's stepdad went through four iPods in one week trying vainly to get one that would work with his Dell PC in time for his long surgery convalescence stuck in a hospital. All of them showed up with the "cpntact Apple support" icon when plugged into his USB. Yet I got one two weeks ago and it is working so sweet (with my Dell and other iPods work with his too). I think there are QA issues with Apple's manufacturer.
Old September 12th, 2005, 02:48 AM   #58
Trustee

I had a 2nd gen ipod which NEVER gave me any trouble, then I bought a 40GB model which has crashed (hard drive) 3 times 1 st time it was replaced with a new one the second time they "fixed it" and now (the third time) it's still in service. I should note I made the mistake of purchasing from best buy and using geek squad "technical support" which should really be called "technically support" because it's only support in the very base definition of the word. Anyhow I uh, accidentally (sort of) purchased an ipod nano because dude those things just look cool, we'll see how it fairs, I thought it was interesting that you couldn't get an apple care warranty with them though or at least you have to order the warranty seperately.
Old September 12th, 2005, 08:02 AM   #59
MPS Digital Studios

Hmmm, interesting. I received mine as a Christmas gift, but it was from the local Apple store. I'm thinking of just getting the extended support and seeing if they'll replace it a FOURTH time.

heath

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News