NAB2005- Who's going? - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old March 20th, 2005, 03:36 AM   #46
Chimera Lighting

Re: NAB2005- Who's going? Chimera Lighting!

PhotoPlus Expo
Javits Convention Center -NYC
10/20/05
10/22/05
TBA
www.photoplusexpo.com

National Association of Broadcasters 2005
Las Vegas Convention Center
04/18/05
04/21/05
C7611
www.nab.org

CineGear Expo
LA - Warner Brothers Studios
06/03/05
06/04/05
tba
www.cinegearexpo.com

DV Expo East
Jacob Javits Convention Center
07/19/05
07/21/05
TBA
www.dvexpo.com

My cell is 831 818 1837 and my fax office is 831 465 9269
www.chimeralighting.com is there for you too. 888 444 1812
We make great lightbanks. aka softboxes, speedrings ect, but look for the 8000 kit to get going and the
ENG panel kit

Thanks
If you come visit our booth
at any show listed the password is Chris/Richardvinfo
for a free tee shirt or hat for visiting our booth and taklng time to see the best stuff you can buy to make "Perfect Lighting".
I know you all have lots to do at the shows and at NAB if you get lost, need water, food or just a place to rest come visit us in April.
Otherwise contact me anytime and I will do my best to help.

Laura will be at WPPI Vegas
I will be at NAB and DV shows with the Chimera Team.
I hope to see you and Chris.
Strength and honor
r
Old April 13th, 2005, 08:42 PM   #47
Regular Crew

Scott thank you for your usefull tips posted back a few days ago!

I was wondering about this conference, does anybody think it would be worth spending the $500 or instead I should save the money and buy myself a new digital camera?

""Digital Cinema Summit | Click here for details
Saturday, April 16 - Sunday, April 17
The fourth annual Digital Cinema Summit will focus on the motion picture industry's transition to digital technology. Content creators and motion picture professionals of all levels will come together to learn about all the latest developments in the realm of Digital Cinema from the visionaries and pioneers who are making it happen.
Who Should Attend: Motion Picture Producers, Directors, Cinematographers, Independent Filmmakers, Theater Owners""
Old April 14th, 2005, 11:15 AM   #48
Major Player

The panels seem pretty heavily skewed towards vendors and consultants, and studio executives involved in distribution technology.

I don't see that you're going to hear much in a one hour panel that you couldn't hear in a press release: "Barco is leading the way in Digital Cinema Projection Technology", "Sony Pictures is working with theater owners to transition to digital cinema" blah, blah, blah...

Unless digital cinema distrubution is your bread and butter, unless you live and breathe digtal intermediates and 2K projectors, I don't see much point in attending this conference. You'll learn much more by talking to the vendors about workflow and personal experience with projects they've worked on.

The sad truth is, there are no standards in producing, posting or distrubuting motion pictures electronically. The industry is still in a state of serious flux, and it will be until theater owners invest in digital cinema en masse, and some system or combination of systems emerges as a defacto standard.

Even so, because digital files are malleable, they can usually be transferred, uprezzed, downrezzed or converted from one format to another, so it doesn't matter - there are plenty of movies being shot on all flavors of Film, HD, even DV, and being posted on any number of different NLE's, color-timing hardware and software, and the like. 99.99% STILL won't get into Sundance, let alone get a distribution deal.

Yes, the waters are still muddy. No, I don't need a VP from Warner's or Product Manager from Christie to tell me that. If your concern is spending $500 on a new digital camera, wait until after the show - you'll have a wish list much bigger than $500.

Wow. That turned into much more of a rant than I intended. Sorry-four days until I hit the show floor, and I'm already getting jittery.

Edit: if I was going to register for any session, it would be in the Post|Production World Conference. There are so many specific sessions, that almost anyone who's involved with the production or post side of things could find something interesting. On the other hand, I find that after 3 or 4 hours of sitting watching someone lecture, I'm practically brain dead. That's why I never attend these sessions - it just doesn't fit my learning style. I find I've forgotten 80% within a few days unless I jump onto the program and do it myself. YMMV, of course.
Scott Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2005, 12:09 PM   #49
Trustee

<<<-- Originally posted by Chris Hurd : All right, Chas! Now it's a real party! -->>>

I get in at near Midnight on Sunday and will be seeing things Monday, Tuesday
and leaving late on Wednesday. Shackling up at Paris.
We should all plan on hitting the Promax
party (poor Charles, I'll miss that guy) on Tuesday for a little bit. Decent prizes
and food are a good draw.
Old April 14th, 2005, 05:43 PM   #50
Regular Crew

I think I will take your suggestion Scott. Being this my first trip there I might just enjoy and take advantage of everything else they have to offer. Like they say "test the waters!"

Al
Old April 14th, 2005, 06:53 PM   #51
Regular Crew

Are the free VIP passes good for one day only? I hope not because I only got one through one of the google searches.
Old April 14th, 2005, 07:08 PM   #52
LA FCP UG

<<<-- Originally posted by Alain Aguilar : Are the free VIP passes good for one day only? I hope not because I only got one through one of the google searches. -->>>

Good for all days not just one

Michael Horton
lafcpug
http://www.lafcpug.org
Michael Horton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2005, 11:09 PM   #53
Regular Crew

I'm on my way to Vegas. I just got the tickets! Yap, last minute thing but I don't care. I'm excited and hopefully I will be able to se hello to some of you at the event.

Thanks for the tips!

Al
Old April 14th, 2005, 11:14 PM   #54
Chimera Lighting

the exibits start the 18th-21

<<<-- Originally posted by Alain Aguilar : I'm on my way to Vegas. I just got the tickets! Yap, last minute thing but I don't care. I'm excited and hopefully I will be able to se hello to some of you at the event.

Thanks for the tips!

Al -->>>
Old April 15th, 2005, 06:11 AM   #55
Regular Crew

It sounded like I was there already, but actually I was able to get a good airplane discount for a Saturday flight.
Old April 15th, 2005, 09:32 AM   #56
Chimera Lighting

have fun if u go by the chimera booth

look for eileen, laura,jane, Gary Delfuiim- pres his sister Dorine in wheel chair with MS- Stan
tell them I sent you . let me kow what happens if you can

thanks.... enjoy
Old April 15th, 2005, 09:48 AM   #57
Obstreperous Rex

Scott Anderson's excellent NAB tips have now been immortalized on DV Info Net...

See http://www.dvinfo.net/articles/buyersguide/nabtips.php

Unfortunately I have a conflict on Tuesday night... I've already committed to helping out with the VASST Vegas User's Party, hosted by our own Douglas Spotted Eagle, but will *try* to run over to the Stardust for the tail end of the ProMax DV Cafe.

Of course on Wed. night there's only one place to be, and that's Horton's LAFCPUG party at the Stardust. I expect to remain sober only for the first hour of that thing. See you there,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2005, 02:14 PM   #58
Regular Crew

So let me get this clear, there is one party on Tuesday at the Promax DV cafe and then LAFCPUG on Wednesday at 6 PM? How do I get to these places? Do I need reservations?
Old April 15th, 2005, 02:22 PM   #59
LA FCP UG

<<<-- Originally posted by Alain Aguilar : So let me get this clear, there is one party on Tuesday at the Promax DV cafe and then LAFCPUG on Wednesday at 6 PM? How do I get to these places? Do I need reservations? -->>>

The FCPUG Network meeting and the ProMax event are both being held at the Stardust Hotel Conference Center. No need to reserve for the FCPUG Meeting but it is first come first seated. Promax likes you to register but its not necessary to get in.

Here is info on both events

http://www.lafcpug.org/nab.html

http://www.promax.com/Events/Cafe/

Both are must attend events if you are going to NAB. It will also give you a chance to see Chris Hurd dance and sing Texas Favorites during the FCPUG pre show
Michael Horton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2005, 02:32 PM   #60
Obstreperous Rex

And bring plenty of dollar bills, because the more you tip, the more I'll work it.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News