Macrovision claims to have new Fool Proof Anti-Copy Tech. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old February 17th, 2005, 12:20 PM   #1
Major Player

Macrovision claims to have new Fool Proof Anti-Copy Tech.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...e/copying_dvds
Glenn Gipson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2005, 12:30 PM   #2
Major Player

Hrmm... Wasn't the last one foolproof as well?
Old February 17th, 2005, 12:59 PM   #3
Trustee

Whenever companies claim some anti-piracy technique is foolproof, all it serves is to challenge folks to prove it isn't. If there's one thing everyone should know by now, ain't nuthin' foolproof. If a DVD player can view it, then so can some copy technique somewhere- it's that simple.

If you want foolproof, then don't let anyone see it. Keep your film and its one and only master copy buried deep underground in a fire-proof, water-proof, nuclear-proof container and never, ever, ever let anyone see it.

Actually, now that I think of it, it would be nice if some hollywood pictures did that. Imagine a world where that Britney Spears movie Crossroads was never released to the public...
Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2005, 01:45 PM   #4
Trustee

You know it's true....anything that can be seen or heard can be copied. It's really that simple.

Before the digital world it would have been expensive to copy something over and over. But, digital makes it possible to create something one time...and then make 1,000,000,000 exact copies for relatively free.

Just think about the joke videos people send to friends. These things get copied 1,000,000 times....for free. Technology has made these large studios a lot of money, but it's also going to destroy them too. Almost any industry that can be hurt by digital will be...it's like there isn't any protection against something that *anyone* can do. If some 9 year old kid can hack, or crack or copy 1,000,000 movies or songs onto his 500 gig drive....it's all over. Well, any 9 year can do that now...so, what's going to happen?!

I think the world is being run by 9 year olds...that's what I think! Uh oh!
Old February 17th, 2005, 02:11 PM   #5
Major Player

From MacroVision website: "In fact, by ripper market share, RipGuard DVD blocks 97% of rippers used in the wild."

That immediately make the product the other 3% were using the 'rip-tool de jour', and we're right back to where we were.

They do make ripping sound like a safari though, no wonder so may "yutes" are doing it.
Old February 19th, 2005, 12:26 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Hmmmmm.... the moment Macrovision announced their foolproof copy protection, Angels started flying out of my butt.

Coincidence? I think not.

I give them about a month before someone breaks them. hehehe.
Joe Carney is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News