DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Digital Video Industry News (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/)
-   -   Instant Films 17!! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/39741-instant-films-17-a.html)

Charles Papert February 18th, 2005 01:55 PM

Instant Films 17!!

After the winter hiatus, we're back and running with another round of Instant Films. Tonight, seven writers will pick their random words and deliver a script in the morning. Seven directors pick a script and their cast at random, and by Sunday night it's all over. The participants include talent from the TV and feature world. Come see the results at the Los Angeles Center Studios in downtown LA! More information at the Instant Films website.

I've actually taken a leave of directing this time around, choosing instead to shoot for one of our celebrated directors, John Asher, whose film "Dirty Love" was well-received (and picked up) at Sundance this year.

It's a great screening and a fun party afterwards...

Christopher C. Murphy February 18th, 2005 02:47 PM

Very cool, when I move out there I'll get involved for sure! Also, excellent job on your short Charles!

Mark Sasahara February 18th, 2005 10:52 PM

Very funny Charles- Joe as the reporter and spanish woman was hilarious. Y'all got a good range of looks without being recognizable.

Who is Alice Smithee? Is that her real name or an alias?

Charles Papert February 19th, 2005 06:43 AM

Thanks Mark and Christopher. That one was a peculiar and particular challenge--the script was a little hard to wrap our minds around, and the makeup/hair/wardrobe complications of turning around 3 actors into 10 characters was uh, fun to say the least. I didn't have an AD so I had to develop the shooting order based on those considerations myself...remember that I received the script the same day we shot the film! We couldnt' resist the joke of having the goateed press conference reporter interview himself as the clean-shaven Captain Freedom, although it definitely created another complication in the schedule.

But yes, the Hispanic couple was a well-needed revelation at the end of a long day; the first time those two ran through the scene we all lost it!

My DP decided that the deliberate TV news look we adopted for parts of the film might damage her reputation and wanted to take her name off of the film, thus the female version of "Alan Smithee". There it is.

Charles Papert February 20th, 2005 05:42 AM

Returning home from a long and successful Instant Films shoot, also visited another Instant Films set (where my actress girlfriend was portraying a cavewoman being thawed out by scientists!)

DVInfo.net member Tyler Cartner helped out with the grip/electric side of things and did a great job.

Once again, I think those members who are in the metro LA area will enjoy coming to the screening tonight (Sunday)...I have a sense that this will be a festival to remember!

Rob Lohman February 20th, 2005 05:49 AM

So when are you guys gonna do a live webcast from those events
for people who can't join (like those who are stuck in other
countries....)? <g>

Charles Papert February 20th, 2005 05:52 AM

plans are in the pipeline--serious sponsorship $$ needed for this sort of thing.

Rob Lohman February 20th, 2005 06:06 AM

I can imagine, bandwidth can still be pretty expensive these days,
although the setup (hardware wise) at the exhibition wouldn't be
too hard or expensive to do.

Anyways, have a good screening!

Charles Papert February 27th, 2005 02:31 AM

While the films from last weekend won't be up for a few days, I've posted the one I shot for John Asher here...

http://homepage.mac.com/chupap/Film/iMovieTheater62.html

p.s. send the kids out of the room.

Mark Sasahara February 27th, 2005 08:17 AM

Nice to see you guys busting down doors and penetrating new territory. This comes at the perfect time, getting into real hard truths through Hollywood's back door.

A hard project, but you all handled it quite well.

Richard Alvarez February 27th, 2005 08:59 AM

Charles,

I'll never look at a lava lamp again.

Charles Papert February 27th, 2005 10:09 AM

Nice, guys.

I just make the pictures, I just make the pictures...

Mark Sasahara February 27th, 2005 10:53 AM

We had to give you a hard time about it. (Tee, hee)

We're not busting your balls.

I'm running out of jokes.

Charles Papert February 27th, 2005 11:08 AM

and there I was thinking you were just feeding me some cock 'n bull story.

Richard Alvarez February 27th, 2005 11:50 AM

Charles,

So, in a project like this, when choosing a lens, is longer better than wider?