On the heels of the revolutionary P2 HD camera - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old April 12th, 2005, 11:01 AM   #16
Regular Crew

What is used to capture from Andromeda camera? And how is it imported to Final Cut?
Need array? Firestore? Hamster in a wheel?
Bill Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2005, 12:51 PM   #17
Trustee

I think this Drake camera is much more interesting than getting uncompressed video out of a prosumer SD camera like the DVX100. But not much information is available about the Drake different packages, prices and availability. When will it be available? Can I buy the camera and viewfinder only? How much? How about warranty and tech support? Any possibilities for 108024p?
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2005, 01:19 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Anderson
What is used to capture from Andromeda camera? And how is it imported to Final Cut?
Need array? Firestore? Hamster in a wheel?
The Andromeda comes with it's own specialized software called SculptorHD which captures the Andromeda footage into a laptop or desktop (depending on what you have available) through USB 2.0.

Sculptor utilizes Quicktime as part of its base architecture, so it is importable directly into FCP. It will also export the captured footage utilizing any codec that you have installed on your machine. If it works as advertised, it's very much plug and play.

A Firestore won't be any good to you on this. You don't need an array to capture, they say. They say that you will be able to capture onto a laptop and then quickly transfer exported files onto firewire drives. We shall see. You will need an array if you are going to edit the uncompressed RAW files, however.
Joshua Starnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2005, 01:24 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Maier
I think this Drake camera is much more interesting than getting uncompressed video out of a prosumer SD camera like the DVX100. But not much information is available about the Drake different packages, prices and availability. When will it be available? Can I buy the camera and viewfinder only? How much? How about warranty and tech support? Any possibilities for 108024p?
It's probably not going to be available this year. They say that they are nailing down their deals with manufacturers to make them - but the moment only the prototype actually exists, and it is being used to shoot a feature film. And since everyone envolved with the camera is working on the film, they haven't had a lot of time to do anything else yet.

They are selling it as a package and as yet don't seem to have any inclination to take it apart and sell it. It doesn't come with a lens, but it does come with the mattebox and follow focus and I don't think you can ask not to get it. It will have tech support, but no one is saying anything about a warranty yet. It is very much a DIY project at the moment, albeit an ambitious one.

It only shoots 8-bit 720 24p at the moment - however it was designed to be easily upgradeable so that as better sensors become available, you will be able to send in your camera head for a new sensor and bam - better color and more resolution without having to buy a whole new camera. However, that is probably several years down the road, so I wouldn't count on it just yet.

On the other hand 8-bit 720 4:4:4 for $20,000 is nothing to sneeze at.
Joshua Starnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2005, 06:33 PM   #20
Trustee

Thanks. I actually just went though that whole gigantic thread on the Drake camera. Took me almost 3 hours, but was worth it. I think the Drake is a great achievement. No doubt. But the price is not really all that indie. Yes, it's uncompressed, but it still is 8bit. Besides it records no audio, which is a headache for indie production. Also, the fact it's not baked by a solid company raises questions about tech support and warranty. Some people are afraid of JVC support, so they will freak out about this. I think 19,000 might be a bit much for most people here. Most would be better served with a HVX200. It's compressed, but it's higher resolution with 1080p. It still is 4:2:2, which will hold pretty good in post too and it will be much easier to edit and finish. It has more frame rates too and cost 3 times less. It might have better color range too, if the Drake can only produce low saturation footage.

The Drake is awesome, don't take me wrong. Specially being homemade, but the price puts it out of reach for many.
Michael Maier is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News