DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Digital Video Industry News (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/)
-   -   No news of any "unannounced" cams? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/43306-no-news-any-unannounced-cams.html)

Patrick King April 20th, 2005 06:49 PM

No news of any "unannounced" cams?

OK, we've got the message about the JVC and Panny and I'm proud for all of y'all that have got that kind of price range. But I've got to just drool over those two cams because I can't afford to pay $50k for a cam right now (you know, $7k for the cam and $43k for the retainer for a divorce lawyer). :<

So... that left me hoping for some "unannounced" cam like a Canon GL3 or a Sony HDX10 to come out at NAB this year.

Has anything like this been discussed at the Canon booth, the Sony booth, or the toll booth?

C'mon, somebody throw the dog a bone, cuz I can't afford to eat off the table. Thanx in advance for any responses, and old movie humor in the response will win you double GreenScreen stamps on this thread!

Rob Jacobs April 20th, 2005 08:35 PM

I hear ya on that. It sounds like there were only two new cameras announced this year. News has been real slow.

Aaron Koolen April 20th, 2005 09:10 PM

Canon probably won't announce anything. They just release something.

Aaron

Rob Jacobs April 20th, 2005 10:05 PM

All I can say about that is canon better do something astounding and quickly. It seems like there's a lot of folks on the verge of upgrading and jumping canon's ship. Myself included.

Charles Papert April 20th, 2005 11:25 PM

There is an unsubstantiated rumor about Sony preparing an answer to the HVX100.

Dylan Couper April 21st, 2005 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Jacobs
All I can say about that is canon better do something astounding and quickly. It seems like there's a lot of folks on the verge of upgrading and jumping canon's ship. Myself included.

You know it's bad for Canon when *I* consider buying something besides a Canon. (got 6 Canons in my office right now), and unless something completely new pops up before the HVX200, it looks like my next camera.

Aaron Koolen April 21st, 2005 04:38 AM

Really? I wonder what they could do to beat the Panny HVX200. I mean what codecs do they have, just DV and HDV don't they? OK, what does the Cinealta use?

Aaron

Matthew Nayman April 21st, 2005 06:44 AM

Well ,I jsut bought an XL2 this week, so uh, Canon's not losing money from me.

From what the man at the dealership said (not because I was buying the cam, hadn't told him what I wanted yet), Canon XL2's are selling faster than ever right now for some reason. Apparently he sells lik 8 or 9 a week.

'

Glenn Gipson April 21st, 2005 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthew Nayman
Well ,I jsut bought an XL2 this week, so uh, Canon's not losing money from me.

From what the man at the dealership said (not because I was buying the cam, hadn't told him what I wanted yet), Canon XL2's are selling faster than ever right now for some reason. Apparently he sells lik 8 or 9 a week.

'

I could understand why. People have productions that they need to shoot like RIGHT NOW, and while these new cams are real sexy and all, they are still months away from release. Not only that, but they are also untested (especially that JVC...I wouldn't want to be the first person to buy that JVC without it being tested by others.) The chances of these new cams not having any initial bugs are slim.

Dylan Couper April 21st, 2005 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaron Koolen
Really? I wonder what they could do to beat the Panny HVX200.
Aaron

Built in mini35 using EF lenses.

Pete Bauer April 21st, 2005 11:50 AM

Absolutely true--if you need to shoot top notch SD now, the XL2 is still the camera to have. That's what I'll be shooting with until I do upgrade to a High Def camera.

I'm with you, though, Dylan. I have 3 Canon camcorders and the 20D I bought for my wife, so I guess I have some predilection for Canon. But I ain't gonna get left behind, either. (Hey, maybe our new DVinfo motto can be: "No videographer left behind.")

Despite previous predictions by some professionals who post here, I think Canon will have to go beyond a simple upgrade of the GL2 or XL2 to HDV -- and soon -- if they want to preserve their market share. They have to be aware that guys like us would jump ship for the huge advantages of a camera like the (promised) Panny HVX.

We shall see in due course. I sure hope they don't suddenly release The "Canon Gotta-Have-It" Cam the week after I take delivery of an HVX!

Aaron Koolen April 21st, 2005 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dylan Couper
Built in mini35 using EF lenses.

OK, sure that would be nice - but I was thinking of things they could do that were in the realms of reality ;)

Aaron

Chris Hurd April 22nd, 2005 11:33 AM

NAB has never been Canon Video's show. NAB belongs to Canon Broadcast (their professional video lens division). There is a pattern at work, and if you know the pattern of a given manufacturer's new product introductions from the past then that can help you to predict the future.

It's also true the Canon Video does not "announce" new products, they simply introduce them, usually within 30 days or so of an initial shipping date. I'm not saying this is a better practice than Panasonic or Sony or JVC; it's just different.

As for myself, I was a little surprised not to see at least a hint of a shoulder-mount version of the Sony FX1 / Z1, sort of DSR250 style, as I had thought it would be teased at NAB. But it wasn't.

Patrick King April 22nd, 2005 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
NAB has never been Canon Video's show.

It's also true the Canon Video does not "announce" new products, they simply introduce them, usually within 30 days or so of an initial shipping date.

So Chris, if you had to guess on when the next logical time for Canon to announce, using their pattern, when would you guess? July, Oct?

Chris Hurd April 22nd, 2005 03:39 PM

Hi Patrick,

Since I still occasionally do consulting work for Canon, it would be most uncool of me to hazard any guesses as to a possible announcement date. It's a no-win situation. If I'm right, everybody assumes that I've had insider information and have known all along, violating any trust the manufacturer may have placed in me. If I'm wrong, then people become angry because they based their purchase decisions on what I said, assuming that I've had insider information and have known all along. So there's no way I'm saying anything one way or the other. I'll leave it to you guys to speculate and predict, but please do that in our "Area 51" forum.