DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Digital Video Industry News (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/)
-   -   Cinegear Expo: June 3-4 in LA (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/44409-cinegear-expo-june-3-4-la.html)

Charles Papert May 11th, 2005 08:00 AM

Cinegear Expo: June 3-4 in LA

You know all those supremely cool camera rigs, cranes and toys you see on behind-the-scenes DVD documentaries? Ever wish you had a chance to examine them up close? Yup, we are talking all the hot HD cameras like the Viper, the Genesis, the Arri D-20, maybe even the Kinetta...plus all of the film cameras you can think of. The Cinegear Expo held every year in Los Angeles is the best way to do it, and it's free, if you register online before May 27th. It's a two day, open air event held on the backlot of Universal Studios (and yes, if you REALLY want, you can sneak off and check out the sights on the backlot without having to take the tram ride!). It has more of a festival feel than a trade show, there's barbecue and beer, and you might find yourself chatting with that famous cinematographer you've been admiring since you were a kid!

Check out the details at www.cinegearexpo.com. I'll be there on Friday only, so if any DVI'ers are there and you spot my name tag, come up and say hi.

George Ellis May 11th, 2005 11:21 AM

Thanks Charles. Missed NAB, so seriously tempted. I can fly in on Friday and red-eye out. Need to figure out a) how to get from LAX (logistics, not directions) and b) if I can get a kitchen pass.

Nick Hiltgen May 16th, 2005 12:18 PM

George I often fly from L.A. to Atlanta, and want to let you know that it's not too much more expensive to fly direct from Hartsfield Jackson to Burbank airport and from their it's about a $15 cab ride to the back lot of Universal. (I believe Delta has a flight that leaves every day at 7:00pm and arrives at 8:05 in burbank) I believe there may be a morning flight as well...

George Ellis May 16th, 2005 03:58 PM

Thanks Nick. I did check and the flights are evening to and morning from. That would mean I would need to spend extra nights. The time hits weekend rates for rental cars, so less than $20 a day. I can fly out Friday morning and back on Saturday eve (red-eye). For me, the hotel is the biggest expense and I have found $60/night at LAX.

Stefan Day May 17th, 2005 03:46 PM

would a beginner feel dramatically out of place here, or would it be more like a candy shop?

George Ellis May 17th, 2005 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stefan Day
would a beginner feel dramatically out of place here, or would it be more like a candy shop?

I think the correct answer might be "yes". It looks like I am going. There is a documentary and ad session I want to attend. Plus, get to look at stuff I cannot afford. :D

Jim Long May 17th, 2005 04:12 PM

Universal Studios?

I registered to attend the Cinegear Expo next month...it's not on the Universal lot...it's in Burbank at Warner Bros.

Tim Le May 17th, 2005 05:49 PM

Yeah looks like they changed it to the Warner Bros Studios. The last several years it had been at the Universal Studios backlot like Charles mentioned.

Charles Papert May 17th, 2005 06:29 PM

Thanks for the correction, Jim. I hadn't noticed that it had moved this year.

The Warner lot is perhaps a little less of a "wow" than Universal for those who haven't spent time on studio lots, since they don't have as many standing exterior sets as Universal (who make a LOT of money on their tour), but it's cool nonetheless--you'll see the hospital exterior and "L" train station from "ER" amongst others.

As far as the beginner issue--I think anyone who is interested in the nuts and bolts of filmmaking and enjoy toys will have a good time.

Zack Birlew May 18th, 2005 07:58 PM

Well, this looks interesting and it coincides with the last day of Summer session 1 at UNLV, which means I could go. If I do go, I would like to go to one of the seminars, I of course can't attend them all >.< but I've narrowed it down to either the Cost Effective Digital Acquisition and Post Production for Filmmakers and the High End of Digital Image Capturing, Part One and possibly part two. Which one of these do you think would be a better choice? I like cameras and I'd love to see some really top of the line footage and how the cameras work but I saw a lot of that at NAB already. I've had Premeire 6.5 since sophmore year of high school and I've fallen pretty well behind in NLE's and how their features work. I have yet to use all of the features in Premeire 6.5, but I will have to upgrade to HD either this year or next year (depending on P2 prices and whether Canon does something) because I'm a student and because I'll be taking classes where I'm going to be making movies myself.

So, I would like to see the big cameras in action but I also need to work on my NLE knowledge. What do you guys think I should go with? (Price doesn't matter, education's all that matters to me)

Radek Svoboda June 13th, 2005 08:24 PM

Has anyone gone to Expo? Could you give us short report? How was Genesis camera? I's already used in production.

Radek

Charles Papert June 13th, 2005 11:59 PM

Cinegear was great fun--I had to rocket through as I could only go for one day, and spent most of it chatting with pals rather than getting too in depth with the gear. Saw some Dalsa footage at native 4K resolution--looked nice. Saw the 3D rigs that Cameron is using--pretty amazing stuff. Sony 950's repackaged into sleek carbon fiber housings with interlocked lenses.

Sorry I don't have a full report--it was a bit of a blur. Lots and lots of toys. Too many, possibly!

Radek Svoboda June 14th, 2005 02:47 AM

I hope one days all movies, TV are 3D. We have 2 ears and 6 channel sound, why not 2-channel picture for 2 eyes. Maybe one day we'll have surround picture: 6-channel picture. The screen will larger than our field of view. We'll have turn our heads to see whole action.

4K Dalsa, 4K Sony projectors, 4K DI. 2K 1080p consumer displays. It seems digital cinema will become 4K soon.

Radek