Sony Playstation 3 can use 2 HDTV sets at once at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old May 17th, 2005, 08:39 AM   #1
Major Player

Sony Playstation 3 can use 2 HDTV sets at once

And at 1080p...

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/05...24681.html?q=1

Video Games will be just what the HD market needs to give it a boost.
Glenn Gipson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2005, 01:28 PM   #2
Major Player

It will have 1080p output. We have seen the future today.

It will be 2x as powerful as M$ Xbox360.

Radek
Radek Svoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2005, 02:26 PM   #3
Major Player

Microsoft has made a critical mistake in that their system WILL NOT support HD media. The Playstation 3 will.
Old May 17th, 2005, 03:18 PM   #4
Wrangler

That would be a pretty powerful editing station, if Sony ever decided to port Vegas to the PS3.
Old May 17th, 2005, 03:26 PM   #5
New Boot

The PS3 can perform twice the floating point operations of the 360, but it also has half the RAM of the 360. The 360 has a far superior online framework to run on than Sony does. The 360 is shaping up to do a whole lot more than just up the polygons (as I'm sure Sony will try to do as well). The point is, I think this generation of the "console wars" is going to illustrate how substance matters over style. People will still go nuts over pretty pictures, but when we start getting into some of the community interactions that will be possible on one machine or the other, I think we'll see that a lot of the value is in more than just the audio/video capabilities of these consoles.

I can't help but think of all the SD vs. HDV discussions that went on when the FX/ZU debuted. One spec offered much greater resolution, but there's so much more than just that to consider. For one, could anyone even watch the HD content? How easily could it be edited? Tape dropouts, etc. In the end, it doesn't matter if you have HDV quality if your material is crud, and it won't matter which machine has the higher TFLOP rating if everyone has more fun on the other machine. I'm sure both machines will be quite successful, but I doubt it will be based very much on 1080p or what resolution of movies they play (And if Hollywood ends up going HD-DVD, the PS3's Bluray ain't gonna make a whole lot of difference anyway). It's off topic, but it just serves to remind me that prettier doesn't mean jack if the substance ain't there.

Back outside of the gaming industry side of things, and into the video industry - I do hope that the PS3's presence in the market gives Blu-ray a bit of a kick start. And while 1080p might be completely worthless for 99% of the market for quite some time to come, someone's got to be the first to do it...
Brad Bodily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2005, 08:06 AM   #6
Major Player

Brad I hear you, content is king, and that's exactly why I wrote what I wrote. Don't forget, Sony Pictures....which now owns MGM Studios also, will be releasing HD movies for the PS3. If anyone thinks that the combined movie library of Sony Pictures and MGM Studios is nothing big...well, then they're crazy. Let me tell you, it's a hell of a lot more movies then Microsoft owns. That's nothing to scoff at, and this is exactly why the other HD guys (Toshiba) are in deep trouble. Also, you can get an HDTV set for as low as 500 bucks these days...in 3 years, they're going to be a hell of a lot cheaper.
Old May 18th, 2005, 08:30 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I can't wait to get my hands on Sony PS3. Hopefully, PS3 will be able to play both PS2 and PS1 games.
Kevin Kwak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2005, 08:34 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Kwak
I can't wait to get my hands on Sony PS3. Hopefully, PS3 will be able to play both PS2 and PS1 games.
It is backwards compatible with both the PS1 and PS2.

A little off the subject…but I still favor PC games over console games…unless more consoles start using a keyboard and mouse combo. I just can’t get into those controllers. But for fighting games, the controllers are necessary, I just don’t like them for first person perspective games.
Old May 18th, 2005, 01:17 PM   #9
Major Player

Funny this news come at this time, right after MS annoucement of XBox 360 - an obvious attempt to make people lose interest in MS's machine.

Sony are very good at overhype BS, so I wouldn't trust all they are saying.

Also, isn't it a problem to support HD media, since there isn't a pre-defined standard yet?
Old May 18th, 2005, 06:03 PM   #10
Major Player

Sony had E3 presentation hours before M$. I don't trust anything M$ saying. Anything they make sucks.

Radek
Radek Svoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2005, 12:51 PM   #11
Major Player

What are you talking about? MS presented XBox 360 1 week before E3 even started.

Anyway, I don't think anyone that refers to Microsoft as M$ has a credible opinion.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News