Looks official, Apple going with Intel - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old June 10th, 2005, 05:18 PM   #46
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Carney
I've heard BSD is a pretty stable and secure OS. (Yes campers, Mac OS is based on BSD, not Unix or Linux).
Wow....how many more half-truths can we stuff into these recent Mac/Intel threads? LOL!

Yes, Mac OS X is definately BSD...but you're wrong in saying that it's not UNIX; BSD is one of the two major flavors of UNIX (AT&T and BSD). Yes, BSD not the holder of the intellectual property rights of the original implementation of UNIX, but it's a totally legal open-source derivative of what AT&T UNIX was in the late 1970's. In fact the modern AT&T UNIX SVR4 (and +)--put together in the late 1980's--contains huge chunks of BSD (since it was open source, and they could take it). Heck, there's not a modern networking computing device on the planet that doesn't contain some sort of a derivative of BSD UNIX, namely TCP/IP.

ATT and BSD are both are accepted as "real" UNIX, both have been sold commercially as "real" UNIX, and both have been supported commercially as "real" UNIX. Geesh, initially the two kernals shared around 80% of the same code base!

Linux, on the other hand, is a "UNIX-like" clone, and is built around a completely different kernal that shares 0% of the code base. Linux looks like UNIX, it quacts like UNIX, and it waddles like UNIX...but Linux ain't UNIX.

The only way you can say that BSD isn't UNIX is to split hairs at a microscopic level and talk about the original intellectual property rights war that's been going on for years. Don't believe SCO's legal propaganda....no matter what the lawyers want to fight about, they can't change 30 years of history.
Duane Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2005, 05:46 PM   #47
Wrangler

Ah yes that brings back some memories... I first learned unix on DEC VAX systems running BSD in the mid eighties, and I learned all about System V on my AT&T 3B/1 "unix pc" which ran on a Motorola 68010 :-) I always liked the BSD implementation better.

Here's another AP story on the transition:

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/050610/apple_chips.html?.v=2

Interesting thing here is that Apple can use Intel's "Lagrande" technology to insure that OS X will only run on their own hardware:

Quote:
"You can tie the serial number of the software with the hardware ID, and say these things go together and shall never be separate," said Roger Kay, an analyst at IDC.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2005, 09:45 PM   #48
New Boot

Which has better optimization?

When the process is all said in done we will see which OS has better optimization!
Eric Hess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2005, 08:35 PM   #49
Inner Circle

It uses Unix command structure, but is not official System V Unix (the one supposedly owned by SCO). They all share command structure, and it's easy to recompile Linux to BSD. But I think the BSD folks would take exception, they think Unix came from them, hehehe.
Joe Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2005, 07:52 PM   #50
Major Player

So just like I guessed, you're splitting hairs over legal ownership issues. :-)
Duane Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2005, 09:46 AM   #51
The DV Show

I think this is a good thing--- digging deeper reveals many positives.

Speaking with Mike Curtis over at hdforindies.com helped too:

Listen to June 12th's podcast:
http://www.thedvshow.com
Brian Alves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2005, 10:19 AM   #52
Major Player

do you guys think the G5 power books will be out before they put the intel chip in mac a year from now? Or will they wait a year and some until they release it?
Greg Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2005, 12:34 PM   #53
Regular Crew

There is not now, nor will there ever be, a G5 Powerbook from Apple. This is one of the many reasons that Apple is leaving IBM's PPC and moving to Intel, imo. The Motorola PPC's in the PB's may have room for a speed bump, or some think a dual core type configuration.
Old June 16th, 2005, 08:05 AM   #54
Wrangler

Dude, you're gettin' a Dell... with OS X?

Interesting article at fortune.com:

http://www.fortune.com/fortune/fastf...?promoid=yahoo

Quote:
"If Apple decides to open the Mac OS to others, we would be happy to offer it to our customers," Dell wrote in an email.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2005, 09:36 AM   #55
Trustee

Despite my experiences, of all the PC's I've worked with, Dells are solid performers in the hardware end of things. My latest Dell 650 has some quirks, and the processors run too hot. However, service and support are excellent, and I've gotton parts next day.

I can attest that much of my woes are OS and software, and all the extra hardware I've crammed into them (a side-effect of do it yourself windows. Easily cured by getting a preconfigured system). I have an old 420 and even some GX1s from the windows 95 days that still boot and run.

I think a Mac OSX would be a good fit on a Dell, and I think Dell would provide excellent qualified solutions. Such a marriage, in my opinion, would create a very stable system, on stable hardware. If Jobs were to get out of the hardware bizz, then Dell could easily take on that responsibility.

On the AMD side of things, BOXX tech seems to be the hardware winner. (Which what I'm looking into now). As the article suggests, AMD is also wanting to partner with Dell, and they currently have the fasted Processor. Hmmmm.
Peter Ferling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2005, 07:19 AM   #56
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Carney
I think the BSD folks would take exception, they think Unix came from them, hehehe.
This is an interesting article about Theo de Raadt who authored Open BSD, where he trashes Linux.

Quote:
BSD guys make fun of Linux on message boards and Web sites, the gist being that BSD guys are a lot like Linux guys, except they have kissed girls
http://www.forbes.com/intelligentinf..._0616theo.html
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News