Looks official, Apple going with Intel at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old June 5th, 2005, 02:04 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Looks official, Apple going with Intel

Here is the link at news.com

http://news.com.com/Apple+to+ditch+I...?tag=nefd.lede
Joe Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2005, 02:21 PM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

We'll see what they actually announce tomorrow (June 6). Migration of their mainstream desktops and notebooks to Intel makes absolutely no sense. Use of new processors for new products (ex: tablet Macs) might make a great deal of sense.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2005, 02:39 PM   #3
Trustee

Then there's guys like me whom are seriously contemplating either a G5 or a BOXX workstation for HD. Now this? Whose gonna buy a G5 now, when something possibly better is coming down the road?

(On the other hand, Microsoft is coming out with their Longhorn OS, so they'll have to prove their worth as well).

Let's see what Steve has to say before this thread get out of hand.... then we rant, whine, and sling mud : )
Peter Ferling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2005, 02:52 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Or Intel will design a new chip for them. Who knows.
Joe Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2005, 03:24 PM   #5
Wrangler

This has been under discussion for awhile in "area 51." Until there's an official announcement, please keep the discussion there:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=45053
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2005, 12:30 PM   #6
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Now it really is official, out of Jobs' mouth. (http://www.macworld.com/news/2005/06...date/index.php)

Look for some real bargains on G5's in the coming months!

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2005, 02:05 PM   #7
Major Player

According to Apple, these machines will dual-boot into Windows. A dream come true for me.

I'm really surprised, but I'm happy with how it came out. We're not going to be forced to use generic computers, we're still going to have that stability and speed, and now we have more options, and easier developed applications.

What a wonderful world.
Tom Wills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2005, 02:13 PM   #8
Wrangler

From what I've read, that isn't quite what they said. They said they have no plans to support Windows, but there wouldn't be anything about the hardware to prevent someone else from doing that. They did say that MacOS would only run on Apple hardware however.

In the interest of sticking to this forum's guidelines, here's Apple's official press release:

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2005/jun/06intel.html

Quote:
Apple to Use Intel Microprocessors Beginning in 2006

WWDC 2005, SAN FRANCISCO—June 6, 2005—At its Worldwide Developer Conference today, Apple® announced plans to deliver models of its Macintosh® computers using Intel® microprocessors by this time next year, and to transition all of its Macs to using Intel microprocessors by the end of 2007. Apple previewed a version of its critically acclaimed operating system, Mac OS® X Tiger, running on an Intel-based Mac® to the over 3,800 developers attending CEO Steve Jobs’ keynote address. Apple also announced the availability of a Developer Transition Kit, consisting of an Intel-based Mac development system along with preview versions of Apple’s software, which will allow developers to prepare versions of their applications which will run on both PowerPC and Intel-based Macs.

“Our goal is to provide our customers with the best personal computers in the world, and looking ahead Intel has the strongest processor roadmap by far,” said Steve Jobs, Apple’s CEO. “It’s been ten years since our transition to the PowerPC, and we think Intel’s technology will help us create the best personal computers for the next ten years.”

“We are thrilled to have the world’s most innovative personal computer company as a customer,” said Paul Otellini, president and CEO of Intel. “Apple helped found the PC industry and throughout the years has been known for fresh ideas and new approaches. We look forward to providing advanced chip technologies, and to collaborating on new initiatives, to help Apple continue to deliver innovative products for years to come.”

“We plan to create future versions of Microsoft Office for the Mac that support both PowerPC and Intel processors,” said Roz Ho, general manager of Microsoft’s Macintosh Business Unit. “We have a strong relationship with Apple and will work closely with them to continue our long tradition of making great applications for a great platform.”

“We think this is a really smart move on Apple’s part and plan to create future versions of our Creative Suite for Macintosh that support both PowerPC and Intel processors,” said Bruce Chizen, CEO of Adobe.

The Developer Transition Kit is available starting today for $999 to all Apple Developer Connection Select and Premier members. Further information for Apple Developer Connection members is available at developer.apple.com. Intel plans to provide industry leading development tools support for Apple later this year, including the Intel C/C++ Compiler for Apple, Intel Fortran Compiler for Apple, Intel Math Kernel Libraries for Apple and Intel Integrated Performance Primitives for Apple.

Intel (www.intel.com), the world’s largest chip maker, is also a leading manufacturer of computer, networking and communications products.

Apple ignited the personal computer revolution in the 1970s with the Apple II and reinvented the personal computer in the 1980s with the Macintosh. Today, Apple continues to lead the industry in innovation with its award-winning desktop and notebook computers, OS X operating system, and iLife and professional applications. Apple is also spearheading the digital music revolution with its iPod portable music players and iTunes online music store.

Press Contacts:
Natalie Kerris
Apple
(408) 974-6877
nat@apple.com

Steve Dowling
Apple
(408) 974-1896
dowling@apple.com

Tom Beermann
Intel
(408) 765-6855
tom.beermann@intel.com

NOTE TO EDITORS: For additional information visit Apple’s PR website, or call Apple's Media Helpline at (408) 974-2042.

Apple, the Apple logo, Mac, Mac OS and Macintosh are trademarks of Apple. Intel is a registered trademark of Intel Corporation or its subsidiaries in the United States and other countries. Other company and product names may be trademarks of their respective owners.
Old June 6th, 2005, 08:43 PM   #9
Trustee

No matter what the advantage, Intels chips are at the end of the road. They already run to hot. Dual core configurations have to be clocked down, (i.e. 3GHz are forced to run at 2.8GHz). AMD has the current lead, and a better system with a direct on chip access the negates the need for FSB on the mobo (as with Intels). That's a more efficient pipeline and better upgrade path, when you can simply swap out the chips and get a few more years out of the same workstation.

I was pricing between a G5 dually and a multicore AMD BOXX workstation. Sorry, but macs are just too risky now. I'll have to stick with a windows PC for another cycle. Maybe in 2008, when I'm ready to upgrade, I'll revisit, if Apple is still around.

Pete

Last edited by Peter Ferling; June 6th, 2005 at 08:44 PM. Reason: should check my spelling...
Old June 6th, 2005, 09:19 PM   #10
Trustee

Well if they're going Intel, I doubt it'd be much for them to go AMD as well.

Aaron
Old June 7th, 2005, 08:54 AM   #11
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Koolen
Well if they're going Intel, I doubt it'd be much for them to go AMD as well.

Aaron
That's puzzling. AMD looks promissing. Maybe they just want a sure thing, and Intel has the market share.

I was told a dual G5 will still serve me well today. Nonsense. I'm looking five years down the road, when I have five-years of mac specific projects, etc. in storage, with the very real possibility of having to go back to windows. (I can afford a switch now, as I'm moving to HD in process for justification). Personally, I'd love a mac, but this is business, and right now Apple is just too risky. I applaud them for making such a bold move to stay alive, just not at my expense...

Pete
Old June 7th, 2005, 09:34 AM   #12
Wrangler

Read the press release above. Business is business, but I don't think Steve would have had that love-fest with Intel's CEO up on stage if he planned to go with AMD.

Personally I don't have the slightest worry about the Mac five years down the road. They will still be here, stronger than ever. My gains on Apple stock will pay for my next few upgrade cycles :-) If I were worried about any companies' survival it would be AMD, especially after this Apple announcement which gives Intel 80% of the market.

Of course, we all have to make our own choices, and I'm sure there will be a number of people who feel the way you do. But given his recent track record, I certainly wouldn't place any bets against Steve Jobs...
Old June 7th, 2005, 10:09 AM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ferling
Maybe in 2008, when I'm ready to upgrade, I'll revisit, if Apple is still around.
Yeah....and they've been going out-of-business since 1985. ;-)

Like I said in the other thread, this is no big deal at all. Heck, it's certainly no worse than the migration from 68K to PPC (and similar in many ways, especially with the Fat Binaries).

Duane Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2005, 10:33 AM   #14
Wrangler

Here's an article which discusses the "Rosetta" technology, "Leopard", and some more reasons for the transition:

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9584_22-5...tml?tag=st.num

Quote:
(Jobs said) that IBM's PowerPC road map would only deliver about a fifth the performance per watt as a comparable Intel chip.

Jobs said there are a lot of products Apple envisions for the coming years, but "we don't know how to build them with the future PowerPC road map."
Classic mode will probably go away with the Intel machines:

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1040_22-5734410.html
Old June 7th, 2005, 10:43 AM   #15
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane Smith
Yeah....and they've been going out-of-business since 1985. ;-)
Gil Amelio did his best to try and make that a reality!... ;-)

http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=8905
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News