Maxtor's 500gig Hard Drive at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old June 7th, 2005, 11:21 AM   #1
Major Player

Maxtor's 500gig Hard Drive

http://www.shareholder.com/maxtor/Re..._section=press
Glenn Gipson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2006, 11:24 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Pricewatch listing @ $340

Has anyone purchased this external drive? Have any other companies listed a 500gig besides Maxtor?
Christo Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2006, 12:08 AM   #3
Trustee

I think the earlier post is pretty much old news by now....500 gig drives have been around for some time and through several vendors such as LaCie, G-Raid, Iomega, and several other recognizable vendors.. I haven't used Maxtor drives, but I do have several LaCie drives, including 500 gig RAID 0 drives, but they go up to 1 terabyte, 1.5 terabytes, and so one. Such large drives are pretty commonplace in digital video editing. I understand that the Maxtor drives are pretty popular for their price, but I don't really know much about them, although I have heard that folks have found their 'one-touch' backup software solutions to be pretty buggy - but I don't know about recent products...likewise, the LaCie RAID drives were reported to have buggy RAID implementation in their earlier units, but I haven't heard that in a while, and I have never had any problems with them...although with any drive, its only a matter of time, so a good backup is a good plan.
-Jon
Old April 5th, 2006, 03:11 AM   #4
Major Player

Wow Glenn I think you need to read the date of that article!
Evan C. King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2006, 03:13 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I personally like Western Digital. For external I prefer LaCie. I have used them and like the preformance and the reliability but as Jon said it is only a matter of time with some drives. I'm getting ready to buy the LaCie 2.5 Tb Sata II Raid so I hope it will last me until my project is done. Sometimes it is cheaper to buy the drive housing, buy the drives you want, and build your own.
Matthew Delong is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News