For Whom The Bell Tolls?...VHS, that's who! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old June 14th, 2005, 10:09 PM   #1
Major Player

For Whom The Bell Tolls?...VHS, that's who!

It's inevitable. The price of DVD players is quickly getting on par with VHS decks. I've personally seen DVD-RW's at the dollar store, right next to the 2(6)-hour VHS tapes. Spindles of 50 discs for less than that can't be far behind. DVD recordable decks are set to plummet in price, as well - already crossing the magic $99.99 barrier.

Now the U.S.'s largest and 2nd largest retailers will stop selling movies on VHS by early next year:

http://money.cnn.com/2005/06/13/news...0/walmart_vhs/

I welcome the change for the durability, random access and flexibility that discs offer, but I'll never get used to MPEG artifacting. A VHS tape recorded in 6-hour mode was often watchable, but I can't say the same for a low-bitrate DVD.

I apologize if this post is more opinion than hard news, but I'm curious about your opinions on the imminent demise of a dominant delivery medium.
Scott Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2005, 03:04 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Although I almost never watch VHS anymore, I have to agree with you that a VHS with 6 hours of recording was still watchable, where with DVD, if you record 4 hours, the image is just unbearable.

And somewhere I still feel for all the people that don't have DVD... They are forced too, in some ways, but I understand, they can't keeeeep making them for those few, but still...
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2005, 04:30 AM   #3
Capt. Quirk

The downside is, I often throw a junk tape in to catch a show for my wife, or myself. You just can't do that with a DVD.
Old June 15th, 2005, 01:29 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Forman
The downside is, I often throw a junk tape in to catch a show for my wife, or myself. You just can't do that with a DVD.
You can't? I thought there were DVD recorders out there that function just like VCRs?
Jesse Bekas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2005, 01:43 PM   #5
Capt. Quirk

I know they had DVD recorders, but they rewrite too? Hmmm...
Old June 16th, 2005, 01:46 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
I know they had DVD recorders, but they rewrite too? Hmmm...
Oh yes they rewrite. You can use DVD+-RW to write a number of times.
And some of them even have hard drives.
The thing is DVD recorders are still expensive.
Benjamin Durin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2005, 08:01 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
True, but easily done with a TIVO or other hard-drive based PVR. Our cable company made available a Motorola DCT6208 box when they began to deliver HD channels and it records an incredible amount of programming before the drive fills up. I think I've got about a 20 hour backlog of Discovery Channel programs and CSI reruns waiting for me to watch and it's still only about 40% full.
Steve House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2005, 09:05 AM   #8
Trustee

My wife is an avid soap fan, and she has about three shows that she routinely records on VHS, and it was a hassle cycling tapes, etc., until I picked up a pany HDD DVR. We only have standard cable (no Tivo), and no cable box. But access to TVGuide online provides one button scheduling. Now she browses her shows using a DVD like menu/navigation structure (video crouton's etc). Never missing a beat, in fact skimming through boring parts (uh, they're all boring to me) and commercials. Which saves me the hassle of dealing with VHS tapes altogether. I have since moved my Sony VHS player to my edit station for those occassional times where I need VHS (yup, some of my friends and relatives are still using them).

The unit also has a DVD-ram recorder, but image quality and speed is no match for hard drive recording. But it's nice to create an archival copy of interesting shows, etc using the highest rez that'll fit.

Pete
Peter Ferling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2005, 04:21 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Blu-ray disks

I cant wait for the blu-ray tech to come out. 25 gig single layered and 50 gig dual layered disks. It will be expensive at first though, but will go down within 2 years or so. You'll be able to make one crazy game/movie on something like that, not to mention storage.
Ben Bixby is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News