NXCAM -- first look tomorrow via Sony virtual trade show - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old January 23rd, 2010, 10:47 PM   #46
Inner Circle

Here's a link for the NX5U manual (PDF):

http://pro.sony.com/bbsccms/assets/f...Ops_Manual.pdf
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2010, 10:49 PM   #47
MPS Digital Studios

I saw this:

HDR-AX2000 | High-Definition Handycam® Camcorder | Sony | Sony Style USA

I have to say, the NX5U is probably going to be the next camera I buy. I want to test it out first, of course.

Btw, Chris and Barry, I bought my first camera, the XL1, back in early 1999, and I was ridiculed for even thinking I could make a film digitally, which I did that summer. Ahhh, memories. I also bought the first "mini-HD" camera, the JVC HD10, but let's not go there.

Heath
Old January 23rd, 2010, 10:56 PM   #48
MPS Digital Studios

You can get a $500 rebate on the flash unit (the FMU), bringing the final cost when the check comes, to $300 or less. I gotta say, this is all very tempting!

The prices I've seen on the pre-orders for the NX5U are around $4000, the AX2000 are around $3500. I think if I were to buy one, instead of going the "FX1 over the Z1" route, I'd go with the NX5U.

Heath
Old January 23rd, 2010, 11:30 PM   #49
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath McKnight View Post
The prices I've seen on the pre-orders for the NX5U are around $4000, the AX2000 are around $3500. I think if I were to buy one, instead of going the "FX1 over the Z1" route, I'd go with the NX5U.

Heath
There was a bigger price difference with the FX1 and Z1. To my mind the AX2000 is pretty severely stripped down version of the NX5U also (more so than the FX1 vs Z1). I've got to think the price on the AX2000 will probably drop a few hundred bucks before it is actually even shipping (or Sony probably won't sell that many).
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2010, 08:42 AM   #50
Inner Circle

I too was thinking the NX5 to be my next camera to replace the FX1 and yes there was a big price difference between the Z1 and FX1. However I don't really need SDI output, don't really need the FMU ( and at the present there is no promotion on that in Canada) and did like the smooth gain change as I often get into this position of needing to shift gain while shooting in the theatre. The AX2000 has exposure assignable to the iris ring that isn't on the NX5 and if I can set gain and iris limits in the menus while keeping shutter in manual this is of more use . I don't really need PCM audio as I will record audio separately in PCM anyway. Not going to use 720P or for that matter 24p or 30p either.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2010, 12:20 PM   #51
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert M Wright View Post
What filing system does the 128GB unit use? (Does it break clips up?)
Yes it does. I can see this folder called "streams" with all the xxx.mt2s in there. However I did not remove it the right way. I still see the thumbnails when I had them offloaded.

I have no idea why Vegas8 wouldnt load them.

And yes, the iris change is stepless like the EX1. Very nice!
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2010, 01:27 PM   #52
Major Player

In reading the NX5U manual it doesn't look like it does crank forward/back like the ex1. The slow motion has a 12 second maximum so it looks similar to the cx camcorders. Wondering if it also reduces quality like the cx models, if so the slow motion won't be usable for anything professional.
Duane Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2010, 01:53 PM   #53
Inner Circle

I think the newer Sonys retain higher resolution in the slo-mo mode... the image appears to retain pretty good quality.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2010, 09:42 AM   #54
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane Adam View Post
In reading the NX5U manual it doesn't look like it does crank forward/back like the ex1. The slow motion has a 12 second maximum so it looks similar to the cx camcorders. Wondering if it also reduces quality like the cx models, if so the slow motion won't be usable for anything professional.
It does however do 720/60P so just drop that on a 24p timeline for really nice slowmo.
Michael Dontigney is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News