NXCAM -- first look tomorrow via Sony virtual trade show - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old November 22nd, 2009, 08:40 AM   #31
Inner Circle

True, but I see a trend with the newly released models.

The XDCAM line has been out for a few years and I would doubt they would release a new 1/2" CCD camera at this point. So the PMW-700/800 seem like the bearers of the CCD torch going forward.

After the 2/3" chip CMOS camera for $20,000 comes out, I don't think many would buy the 1/2" XDCAM for the same cost or more.

It would be nice if over time, the skew and jello could be fixed if the industry is going to embrace CMOS due to its image quality and cost to produce.

Last edited by Tim Polster; November 22nd, 2009 at 02:39 PM.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2009, 08:53 AM   #32
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Hogan View Post
Any ideas on pricing? and will it come with the 128GB solid state drive or is that separate?
The 128GB drive is an optional accessory.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2009, 03:33 PM   #33
Trustee

When will pricing be announced- did I miss this info somewhere?
Too bad they didn't include Motion JPEG for ready to edit footage- would have been perfect for those willing to bypass AVCHD!!!
Old November 22nd, 2009, 04:03 PM   #34
Inner Circle

Most of the material I've seen says pricing will be announced in January, with product availability in the Spring.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2009, 08:52 PM   #35
Inner Circle

If it is the spring maybe they will put in the "R" sensor in the production units!!!

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2010, 06:55 PM   #36
New Boot

It all comes down to the imager

This is the 3 CMOS 1/8" imager block and noise handling setup from the V1U and V7U, rigged with the lens and top LCD from the EX-1 and Z1U. The imager is NOT the same as the EX (which has much larger sensors and creates a lot more heat), and this is not intended to be Pro-series like the EX Cams. This is a high-end prosumer camera - I'd put it in the same class as the DVX-200.
Without having seen the full specs on the AVCHD codec that this uses, I can't really comment on the quality of the image. Certainly it will be better than HDV, but probably not as good as XDCAM.
I'm digging the TC and HDSDI options.
Matthew Galvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2010, 11:56 PM   #37
Trustee

I had a go at the pre production unit 2 days ago. It IS pretty sexy. AVCHD files edits easily on Vegas 9. Have not attempted on FCP yet. Does not work on Vegas 8 thou.

The model is very refined with some nice enhancements. The 128Gb Flash unit is really small and handy and can be edited directly via USB. XDCAM EX definately trumps the AVCHD2 or whatever they call it.
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2010, 08:34 AM   #38
Trustee

Sean thanks for the info.
The native files probably won't work in FCP anyway (FCP won' edit native AVCHD), as the files would have to be transcoded.

But why wouldn't Vegas 8 edit the native files. Doesn't Vegas 8 edit AVCHD?
Old January 23rd, 2010, 10:12 AM   #39
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Seah View Post
IThe 128Gb Flash unit is really small and handy and can be edited directly via USB.
What filing system does the 128GB unit use? (Does it break clips up?)
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2010, 10:27 AM   #40
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Galvin View Post
This is the 3 CMOS 1/8" imager block and noise handling setup from the V1U and V7U, rigged with the lens and top LCD from the EX-1 and Z1U. The imager is NOT the same as the EX (which has much larger sensors and creates a lot more heat), and this is not intended to be Pro-series like the EX Cams. This is a high-end prosumer camera - I'd put it in the same class as the DVX-200.
Without having seen the full specs on the AVCHD codec that this uses, I can't really comment on the quality of the image. Certainly it will be better than HDV, but probably not as good as XDCAM.
I'm digging the TC and HDSDI options.
The NXCAM is basically a Sony Z5, three 1/3" Exmor CMOS chips, lens has extra OIS function over the Z5 but is otherwise the same. The EX uses 1/2" sensors so will have more sensitivity etc. AVCHD is essentially a decode spec, each manufacturer has their own encode algorithms which will vary by model allowing for different block sizes, data rates etc.

Ron Evans
Old January 23rd, 2010, 10:35 AM   #41
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert M Wright View Post
I think its FAT32 so would still be advisable to use the Sony Browser management software to transfer to PC and create clips rather than files from the flash memory. I do this now with my SR11 and XR500 and its fast too. That way all the metadata is correctly saved too allowing the Browser software to search and display etc. If you have not seen this work the face search is a little freaky!!!!

Ron Evans
Old January 23rd, 2010, 12:59 PM   #42
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert M Wright View Post
According to the manual:

If a movie file exceeds 2GB during recording, the camcorder divides the file and creates a new file automatically.
Michael Murie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2010, 03:45 PM   #43
Inner Circle

Where did you get the manual?

Ron Evans
Old January 23rd, 2010, 10:11 PM   #44
Inner Circle

Am I the only one who finds it quite humorous to hear Sony's Juan Martinez talk about the importance of high quality audio in a camcorder when Sony historically has always had the most horrendous sounding cameras ever produced? Ever shoot with or dialogue edit footage shot with the TRV900/PD150/170/VX2000/VX2100?

Even the EX1, which I shoot with regularly, does not sound as good as my DVX100A or my HPX170. The EX preamps are noisier and have less dynamic range to my ear although it sounds leagues better than their DV cameras did.

Glad to hear Sony at least pay some lip service to the importance of audio in video production. They are really trying to segment differentiate by playing up LPCM, which is a good thing. Now if they haven't saddled the NX5 with crappy sounding mic pre-amps and a poorly executed audio signal path, we might actually have a good sounding Sony camera.

Here's hoping!

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2010, 10:43 PM   #45
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Evans View Post
Where did you get the manual?
It's on the NXCAM site under manuals: Sony | Micro Site - NXCAM

No sign of the HDR-AX2000 manual over on Sony's regular site.
Michael Murie is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News