DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Digital Video Industry News (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/)
-   -   Panasonic releases AG3DA1 Fully-integrated Full HD 3D solid-state camcorder (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/474797-panasonic-releases-ag3da1-fully-integrated-full-hd-3d-solid-state-camcorder.html)

Andrew Smith March 15th, 2010 02:18 AM

Panasonic releases AG3DA1 Fully-integrated Full HD 3D solid-state camcorder

Yours for a mere USD $21K. (For a small fee you can also beat the rush.)

Learn about Panasonic's AG3DA1

Andrew

Konrad Haskins March 15th, 2010 04:40 AM

I've got a bet with my daughter that there will be consumer 3D camcorders by Christmas.

Paul Cascio March 15th, 2010 06:55 AM

I agree, can I get in on that bet?

Michael Murie March 15th, 2010 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Konrad Haskins (Post 1499739)
I've got a bet with my daughter that there will be consumer 3D camcorders by Christmas.

Is that a bet on HD 3D, or just anything 3D, because Fujifilm has their Real 3D camera, and DXG already announced a $400 3D camera coming in June....

Mel Enriquez March 15th, 2010 09:02 AM

how to edit it in to come output in 3D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Smith (Post 1499729)
Yours for a mere USD $21K. (For a small fee you can also beat the rush.)

Learn about Panasonic's AG3DA1

Andrew

Andrew,

Thanks for the link. At least there's more to it now

My question now, is - how do you edit or render your video to come out with a 3D output? I presume, the 21k price tag still does not factor in the price of the 3D LCD-TV, and the equally expensive 3D goggles (unless that comes with the 3d-tv already). I see that 2 sensors are recording independently, and I presume the fact that there are 2 sensors with 2 lenses (?), you need 2 SDHC/XC cards with 2 file output that should match in time. So, does editing in 3D go? Or what is the process of editing or rendering to 3d?

Andrew Smith March 15th, 2010 10:57 AM

Exactly my line of thinking .... in particular, how will we edit and output the 3D video content? Some video editing software upgrades must be in the pipeline. I can only hope that the manufacturers have their workflows and data exchange schemes sorted out.

Myself? I'm going to be content with 2D for quite a while. :-)

Andrew

Paulo Teixeira March 15th, 2010 12:09 PM

I went to a video show in Massachusetts recently and the last thing I did was attend a 3D seminar. They talk about all of the complications involved in making 3D and although this particular camera have solved a lot of serious issues that people been having, the way you shot in 3D is far, far more different than a lot of people think. They had two camcorders hooked up to projectors and showed that if your not careful, you can have one of your subjects look significantly bigger than real life. That's great for a horror movie. They also talked about how it could be better to edit on something greater than 1920x1080 if that's your final resolution. That's to allow for paining around the screen which increases the chances of getting the right 3D effect. If you shoot at 1920x1080, you'd have to be more careful. Still, the 3DA1 does have an advanced two lens set up so you wont have to worry about rather or not some of the setting were the same on both sides.

This is serious business and with all that said, I'd still like to use one at a live event although I'd rather have someone with me who knows a great deal about 3D shooting. You really need some practice first before you start using that camera alone for a serious project.

Steve Gibbons March 26th, 2010 01:43 PM

Avid Media Composer has been able to handle 3D stereoscopic editing since version 3.5

See page 833 in this for more info on how that happens:

http://cdn.pinnaclesys.com/SupportFi...dGuide_4.0.pdf

Jonathan Shaw March 28th, 2010 06:12 PM

I recently saw an online tutorial with a guy editing 3D on FCP, it looked pretty straightforward. I will try and find the link.

J

Dan Brockett April 7th, 2010 12:53 PM

FCS has been 3D editing capable using the Cineform Neo 3D plug-in for quite a while. http://www.cineform.com/neo3d/ Nice that AVID includes it although I am sure that the next big FCP update will include it natively as well (if there ever is another big FCP update!)

Dan

Mel Enriquez April 8th, 2010 02:38 AM

3d editing

Jonathan, Dan,

Thanks for the input on editing. It's seems that it may be straightforward as you claim. Unfortunately, learning a new NLE is another extra work coming from Vegas (unless Vegas has 3d editing I don't know).

Paolo,

I saw a homebrew 3d projection project for below U$3,000 in tomshardware. Pretty interesting as to how the issues were threshed out. And yes, about U$2,500 of that went to the 2 projectors. It's interesting how one can convert regular 2d stuff to 3d, so I presume, if you use a 3d camera, the results will even be better. At least, I got that display part out of the way and got an idea on the technologies and issues involved.

You folks can check out Tomshardware.com on this article project he did on 3d projection.