Sony prototype cinema camera shown at NAB - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old April 13th, 2010, 02:48 AM   #16
Major Player

Sony already has a S35 lower resolution dedicated chip from F35, to use on this camera, without having to go through the nuisance of line skipping a multi megapixel chip as is the case of Panny's new 4/3 camcorder and Canon's rumored APC sized camera. Of course he can borrow a chip from its Alpha line of DSLR cameras, but that doesn't seem rational to me.

Another site mentions SXS compatiblity and maybe Alpha lens mount.
If the SXS is true that probably means Mpeg2 compression and not AVHD like Panasonic.

Last edited by Emmanuel Plakiotis; April 13th, 2010 at 03:29 AM.
Emmanuel Plakiotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2010, 08:50 AM   #17
Inner Circle

I agree Tim, it does seem like a long time with the hardware in a seemingly developed state.

If I were Sony, I would put the Alpha mount on the camera to generate sales of the the still lens line. I am sure adapters will be available, but the auto mechanisms will probably only be with the Sony lenses.

The big design choice will be to engineer this around all manual film type lens use or create some servo motor choices for more video oriented use as well. Will a stock lens offering have a servo motor? Then you can swap for primes etc... Maybe a cheaper fixed lens version for the video oriented folks and interchangeable, higher res. version for the film orieneted folks?
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2010, 09:34 AM   #18
MPS Digital Studios

It wasn't this 3D prototype, I'm guessing?

3D camera introduced at NAB

heath
Old April 15th, 2010, 08:56 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Heath,

The camera you mention, according to the article attached to your note, mentions a 3-inch CMOS sensors for the camera. The camera being shown on this topic is mentioned having a S35 chip.

Ozzy
Ozzy Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2010, 09:14 PM   #20
Trustee

3" CMOS sensors? That has to be a mistake.
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2010, 02:14 AM   #21
Inner Circle

Could be the "2/" is missing? Or the sensor size is missing, so it's 3 x X" ...
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2010, 07:19 AM   #22
MPS Digital Studios

Thanks, Ozzy. I had a feeling it was two different cameras.

Heath
Old April 16th, 2010, 07:35 AM   #23
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmanuel Plakiotis View Post
Another site mentions SXS compatiblity and maybe Alpha lens mount. If the SXS is true that probably means Mpeg2 compression and not AVHD like Panasonic.
May be better still - the Arri Alexa is supposed to be recording ProRes direct to SxS isn't it?
David Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2010, 07:45 AM   #24
Obstreperous Rex

Yes -- the Alexa records 10-bit 4:2:2 ProRes to SxS cards.

No reason why this camera can't do the same; then again maybe it's XDCAM EX.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2010, 08:25 AM   #25
MPS Digital Studios

The Alexa is a very interesting camera; I wish I could've gone to NAB 2010 to see it and the other offerings. I may be there in 2011--Chris, save me a seat the annual NAB/DVInfo party!

heath
Old April 16th, 2010, 02:29 PM   #26
Major Player

The only thing that gets me is the possibility of super low light cameras. Everyone has that one thing that can never be good enough. Might be resolution or it seems shallow DOF is the obsession of most video shooters (not sure they even know why) but for me it is low light sensitivity. I hate not being able to record something in low light that looks just like what I see with my eyes.
Old April 16th, 2010, 03:28 PM   #27
Major Player

For me, low light sensitivity is the most important factor when buying a new camera as well... combined with a good dynamic range.
Floris van Eck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2010, 11:27 AM   #28
Trustee

It looks like Panasonic stirred up some competition with their announcement. It's about time too. It was looking like the "big boys" were ignoring Red Scarlet because they didn't feel threatened by it. But Sony (and Canon) can't ignore Panasonic's new camera. It would be marketing suicide to not competitively respond. I suspect Sony at the highest management level decided at the last minute to make an announcement at NAB just so they were anted up for the "game". The fact that Sony staff at the show knew nothing about it tends to support this.

Whatever the real story is, it looks like the large sensor cameras will start to be real products by the end of the year or early next year. I was really getting tired of the SIOB (sharp intake of breath) games the camera manufacturers were playing with this issue. The standard response by the manufacturers and their stooge minions to the suggestion of a large sensor camcorder was the "big glass is expensive" pitch. But with a removable lens, as with DSLR cameras, you can buy big or not so big glass and have the flexibility of different lens for different applications.
Jim Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2010, 12:56 PM   #29
Major Player

Yea if they came out with something with let's say twice the sensitivity of an EX3 for somewhere around the same price, solid state recording, and camcorder functionality. I'd think about selling my EX3 and starting over.

We shall see.
Old April 18th, 2010, 08:07 PM   #30
Major Player

As much as i love new cameras being announced, i still need to be the broken record and say that whatever camera your already own is likely more than good enough to shoot whatever it is that you want to shoot(aside from anything you may have bought at best buy, etc..)

There will always be new cameras and that's great, it seems i buy a new one every two years or so. but it's also about how much time you waste dreaming about that next big thing instead of being out shooting with your already capable camera.

On top of that, there are a lot of other things your wallet could give attention to instead of a camera upgrade, because as we have to remember; the camera is just a single element(albeit an important one) of dozens of other things that will make a film successful.

(sorry, i felt preachy tonight :) )
Darren Levine is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News