Sony HXR-MC50E - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old February 24th, 2011, 04:21 AM   #76
Major Player

Re: Sony HXR-MC50E

thanks for the replies.
what exactly is the point of the HXR-MC50E when the HDR CX700 seems to offer more? here in spain they are the same price! the HDR CX700 doesn't come with a mic nor hood but i guess the image and sound are the same (bar the progressive on the HDR CX700). would that be right? will the low light ability be the same?
Andrew Maclaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2011, 10:47 AM   #77
Trustee

It also have zebras that I believe the MC50 doesn't have. Since it's newer, their could also be other manual features the MC50 doesn't have. From reading the specs, it appears to have a different higher resolution sensor as well so in broad daylight the CX700 may actually have better colors and sharpness than the CX550 or MC50 when shooting in 1080 50i/60i. The low light capabilities might be the same but it's too early to tell.

I'd say get either the CX700 or the TM900 and forgot about the MC50. Not everybody is ready for 1080 50p/60p yet but the picture quality out of it is incredible. 60i/50i is getting less and less popular as time moves on so it's definitely better to get a camcorder with progressive modes.
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2011, 02:34 AM   #78
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Maclaurin View Post
thanks for the replies.
what exactly is the point of the HXR-MC50E when the HDR CX700 seems to offer more? here in spain they are the same price! the HDR CX700 doesn't come with a mic nor hood but i guess the image and sound are the same (bar the progressive on the HDR CX700). would that be right? will the low light ability be the same?
If you wait a little bit, at NAB, Sony is unveiling a new ultra-compact camcorder in the NXCAM line, alonside their new 35mm NXCAM and a new 3-D NXCAM-

Sony?s Big (NAB Show) Reveal ? Part I

You may want to check out the new camera to see if it fits your needs in a way the MC50 and CX700 might not.

Ozzy
Ozzy Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2011, 07:49 AM   #79
Inner Circle

I expect its base on the CX700 just like the MC50 was a CX550. I have had my CX700 now for 2 days and am still working through all the features and how they are selected.
It does have zebra ( 70 and 100), peaking ( three colour choices), expanded focus assist ( if manual focus is selected it works while focusing and then reverts back to normal view when control wheel is released), has tracking focus ( will track the focus of a selected item if it moves in the scene)

Low light is a little better than my XR500 and in low lux is a lot better than my NX5U!!! Looking at data code gain now goes to 21db all my other Sony's stop at 18db, noise even at this level is minimal and usable.

Downside is all controls are buried in menus with only the control wheel parameters and nightshot being available easily. Maybe Sony will bring all these to better manaul controls on this new camera and charge another $2000 !!!!

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2011, 02:18 PM   #80
Inner Circle

I would hope they do something more along the lines of the new Canon, or something large enough to provide physical access to the functions. I'd like something just a bit larger (maybe VG10 size?), but with real access and menu-ing to allow fast easy control. IMO the loss of the "My Menu" capability between the C550 and the CX700 is a gigantic epic fail... that feature at least made it easy to access six functions you use all the time in 2-3 touches... not too bad.

I thought the price jump between the CX550 and the MC50 was rather high for a hood and a mic and no apparent firmware upgrades - not that it's "bad", I've got a pretty similar setup for my 550... looks plenty serious as cameras go. But to ask over $2K for the new "compact" weatherized NX would be REALLY stretching if based on the CX700...
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2011, 10:46 PM   #81
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Evans View Post
I expect its base on the CX700 just like the MC50 was a CX550. I have had my CX700 now for 2 days and am still working through all the features and how they are selected.
It does have zebra ( 70 and 100), peaking ( three colour choices), expanded focus assist ( if manual focus is selected it works while focusing and then reverts back to normal view when control wheel is released), has tracking focus ( will track the focus of a selected item if it moves in the scene)

Low light is a little better than my XR500 and in low lux is a lot better than my NX5U!!! Looking at data code gain now goes to 21db all my other Sony's stop at 18db, noise even at this level is minimal and usable.

Downside is all controls are buried in menus with only the control wheel parameters and nightshot being available easily. Maybe Sony will bring all these to better manaul controls on this new camera and charge another $2000 !!!!

Ron Evans

So, this new compact NXCAM camcorder may be the NXCAM replacement to my HVR-A1 I've been looking forward to. I'm really forward to this camera and the 35mm NXCAM. I'm ready to jump from HDV to AVCHD and I'm glad I didn't jump the gun on the MC50. I'm hoping these two new cams offer specs and features worth pruchasing them for. And if this new compact NXCam is a pro version of the CX 700, I hope it offers more bang for the buck from consumer to prosumer firmware updates than the MC50 did for the CX550.

Ozzy
Ozzy Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2011, 09:23 AM   #82
Major Player

these rapid developements are making it hard to choose which to invest in! the new sony sounds very interesting. ideally i'd like a jvc hm100 style camera as in 2 xlr, uncompressed sound, small, quicktime, sd cards but with a bigger sensor, better low light, bigger and better lcd, better zoom but who doesn't?
best things come to those who wait..............possibly!
Andrew Maclaurin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News