DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Digital Video Industry News (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/)
-   -   EX3 3D Prototype - First Picture? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/477987-ex3-3d-prototype-first-picture.html)

Andy Wilkinson May 2nd, 2010 04:54 AM

EX3 3D Prototype - First Picture?

I'm still wondering if this is a Photoshopped picture rather than genuine (no viewfinder for a start) but this is what Engadget is reporting as Sony's answer to recent 3D moves by Panasonic.

Sony EX3 prototype 3D camcorder spotted, destined for retail channels? -- Engadget

Dave Blackhurst May 2nd, 2010 02:24 PM

I dunno, looks sort of close to the one they were showing off a few months ago as a concept for 3D shooting, EXMOR "R" sensors took under a year from lab reports/press releases to market...

Dan Brockett May 2nd, 2010 04:00 PM

I would be surprised if Sony didn't come out with a low cost 3D camera before the end of the year. If they didn't, Panasonic would be seen as winning the high tech/3D race. It's called brinkmanship.

Whether or not this is actually the camera that they will introduce, hmm...tough to tell.

It does seem like Sony is playing catch up these days, Panasonic introduces the AF100 at NAB with rough cost and a shipping date, then Sony quickly cobbles together a "prototype" large sensor camera with basically no details available about specs or cost. Then there the 3D race, Panasonic has already taken orders for hundreds of AG-3DA1s and this surfaces.

It's not always best to be first though, you can take advantage of your competitors shortcomings and limitations, kind of what Sony did with the EX1 and EX3.

Dan

Dan Brockett May 2nd, 2010 05:57 PM

From what I hear though, the AF100 will use six 1/4" sensors?!?! If this thing has six 1/2" sensors, game over. Although in the 3D world, shallow DOF may not be as big a deal as it is in 2D because you have the convergence point to manipulate what the audience looks at.

Dan

Paulo Teixeira May 2nd, 2010 08:04 PM

You mean the Panasonic 3DA1. It has 1/4" chips but at least it's very tiny and so it's easily hand-held so the market between the Panasonic's and Sony's 3D cameras will be a little different. Still, I'm not so sure Sony would stick with the same type of shape as the EX3 since it has gotten many complaints for it ergonomics so I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out to be fake.

Now if it does happen to be real and gets a price lower than the 3DA1, it might cause Panasonic to lower it's price since that would make the 3DA1 seam like a rip off. I'm not saying the 3DA1 doesn't look like a rip-off already.

Dan Brockett May 2nd, 2010 08:27 PM

You're right Paulo, getting my new Panasonic model numbers mixed up.

Dan

Alister Chapman May 3rd, 2010 02:22 AM

It is real, it's the same as the prototype that was shown at NAB.

Andy Wilkinson May 3rd, 2010 02:29 AM

Thanks Alister. Exciting times ahead then!

Sander Vreuls May 3rd, 2010 08:11 AM

I wonder how this ties in with the Sony design for 2 lenses and 1 sensorblock. Splitting the image up between left and right before projecting them on the sensor. Atleast that's what they showed some time ago.

David C. Williams May 3rd, 2010 05:10 PM

This was posted elsewhere on the Web:

"Sony is [..] developing a new camera system for the needs of independent producers, especially "run-and-gun" natural history. This new camera system is not a product announcement; it is a conceptual prototype in its early development. There is not a product plan yet. However, Sony and Discovery are working together to gather feedback. Field tests are scheduled to start in July.

These details were announced at the keynote speech at the SMPTE Digital Cinema Summit, by John Honeycutt of Discovery Channel.

-3 CMOS 1/2-inch sensors per eye
-full 1920x1080 progressive capture
-interchangeable lens capability
-adjustable inter-axial distance - 1.5 to 3.5 inches -
-adjustable convergence via horizontal lens shift
-full metadata support
-it is being designed by Sony with input and collaboration from Discovery

Technology was drawn from Sony San Jose laboratories, Sony Pictures (Culver City) and Sony Atsugi, with major contributions by 3D consultants 21st Century 3D"

Erik Phairas May 3rd, 2010 09:58 PM

it's got to be a spinning mirror or something right? that's a tight fit for 6 1/2inch sensors.

Olakunle Olanrewaju May 4th, 2010 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alister Chapman (Post 1522541)
It is real, it's the same as the prototype that was shown at NAB.

Well is it going to be exmor R lens or exmor in old pmw ex3