DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Digital Video Industry News (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/)
-   -   Matrox MXO2 Mini is the Missing Link in Your Tapeless Editing Workflow! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/478668-matrox-mxo2-mini-missing-link-your-tapeless-editing-workflow.html)

Gary Bettan May 13th, 2010 05:59 PM

Matrox MXO2 Mini is the Missing Link in Your Tapeless Editing Workflow!

Regardless of what tapeless formats you shoot on (P2, XDCAM, AVCHD, DSLR or H.264): what platform you use (PC or Mac, Workstation or Laptop) what NLE you edit with (Apple Final Cut Pro, Adobe Premiere Pro or Avid Media Composer) the MXO2 Mini is the perfect HD monitoring solution for you. No other hardware is as powerful, flexible, portable or affordable.

With the Matrox MXO2 Mini you can monitor your timeline in full HD resolution on a flat screen HDTV via HDMI or component video. Matrox's exclusive monitor calibration utility lets you turn your off-the-shelf HDTV into a professional broadcast monitor suitable for color correcting and color grading. Using the Matrox MXO2 Mini as a preview output to an HDMI monitor allows you to use your workstation to spread your workspace over multimple computer monitors. The MXO2 Mini provides an additional full resolution HD output to your workflow. If you edit on a laptop, the MXO2 Mini gives you the same ability to output your timeline in full HD.

For under $500, the Matrox MXO2 Mini is the MUST HAVE hardware for your
Adobe, Avid, or Apple editing suite.

If your workflow requires SDI connections for integration with broadcast level gear, the Matrox MXO2 LE is simply the best SDI I/O solution on the planet for under $1,000! You get all of the features of the MXO2 Mini plus additional SDI and XLR I/O.

Videoguys Blog - Matrox MXO2 Mini is the Missing Link in Your Tapeless Editing Workflow!

Gary

Ken Plotin May 13th, 2010 09:45 PM

Gary,
The mini looks interesting. I like the additional analog capture options.Does this support Sony Vegas?
Thanks,
Ken

Brian David Melnyk May 14th, 2010 01:12 AM

i think i would be interested in the MAX technology aspect also.
it is faster than Compressor, but are the results significantly better (specifically for HDV to SD-DVD)?

Gary Bettan May 15th, 2010 08:31 PM

Unfortunately mini does not support Vegas

Not only is the max h.264 encoding faster then realtime. The image quality is outstanding

Gary

Perrone Ford May 15th, 2010 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary Bettan (Post 1527447)
Not only is the max h.264 encoding faster then realtime. The image quality is outstanding

Gary

I'm very happy to hear you say this. We'll see how it works with Avid MC5...

D.J. Ammons May 16th, 2010 08:19 AM

I really wish Sony Vegas Pro had some hardware support like this. Any chance that is coming from Matrox or someone else?

Perrone Ford May 16th, 2010 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D.J. Ammons (Post 1527557)
I really wish Sony Vegas Pro had some hardware support like this. Any chance that is coming from Matrox or someone else?

I wouldn't hold my breath. Many are hoping Vegas 10 opens the door to a lot of new things, like GPU acceleration and other modern things. But I had to move on.

Mark Joseph June 30th, 2010 07:09 AM

Can this scan convert MBP output to component, say for instance I can output a PPT to projector or LCD display? I specifically need component output as we have distribution/amplifier & 60ft cabling that is all component.

Gary Bettan June 30th, 2010 11:40 AM

the mxo2 mini is not a scan converter at all. if you require scan conversion, check out the Matrox Convert DVI. It is a fantastic HD scan converter. We have some really big name broadcasters using it to put web video, youtube, Skype, computer generated graphics and more on Air & Cable.

Videoguys.com - Matrox Convert DVI

Gary

Mark Joseph June 30th, 2010 03:41 PM

Thanks Gary - is there a HDMI/SDI IN/OUT product that does the following:

1. HD HDMI and/or component OUTPUT for FCP monitoring
2. HD-SDI input for prores 422 (HQ) capture
3. component output from MBP 17" (expresscard34) of the Finder or PowerPoint so we present PPT presentations.

Terry Wall July 16th, 2010 04:59 PM

Hi Gary & Gang! My question is: If someone purchases an I/O device, do you also then need a high powered graphics card onboard your computer, or does the I/O eliminate that need? I've been studying all these gadgets and was leaning toward the MXO2 Mini. Some of the high end GPU cards are quite expensive and I'm trying to weigh where I should make the investment--with dollars always being tight.

Thanks for the collective feedback!

TW

Perrone Ford July 16th, 2010 05:10 PM

They serve different purposes. The Matrox mini drives your monitor. Rendering still goes through the card. Very different tasks.

Jay West July 16th, 2010 09:15 PM

To be a bit more specific, the MXO2 mini drives an external tv monitor. It also provides good calibration tools so you can do more accurate color matching, adjustments, and grading. It seems to work pretty well with Avid MC5 and does a great job (at least for me) with PPro CS5. The video card accelerates some effects, filters and the like during playback and enhances rendering of some (but not all) effects and transitions. So when Perrone says these are different functions, they are.
Do you need an expensive (i.e. Quadro) card? Maybe yes, maybe not for PPro CS5. Probably a good idea with MC5, although you can get by without one. I manage with a GTX 260 rather than a Quadro. This has nothing to do with external monitoring through an MXO2 Mini, however.

Is use of the MXO2 Mini absolutely seamless? Not exactly. But what is?

Number 1 for me is that for those of us who have both CS5 and MC5, the MXO2-Mini uses different and incompatible versions of the drivers for the two programs. CS5 needs the Matrox 3.0 drivers while MC 5 uses the 2.2 drivers. There doesn't seem to be a way (yet) to use the MXO2 mini with both programs under the same Win 7 installation.

Additionally, there are quirks with multi-cam editing under PPro CS5. For me with an I7/920 - GTX 260 system, the MX02 Mini works with 3 AVCHD streams in my multi-cam sequence but not 4 AVCHD streams. When I need to work with 4 AVCHD streams, I either have to convert the camera streams to Cineform intermediates (NeoScene or NeoHD) or else I have to use one of Adobe's AVCHD presets without external monitoring via the MXO2 mini. If you can live with those limitations (I can), you'll probably find that the MXO2 mini is very much worthwhile. I should note that this is just an issue with PPro CS5's multi-cam window. video plays fine from the timeline and to external monitors. It is only the four-way multi-cam window itself that has trouble. Use Adobe's AVCHD sequence presets and there is no problem.

I should mention that I bought my MXO2 mini from videoguys and think highly of the service I have received. If that counts as bias, so be it.

Daniel Broadway July 22nd, 2010 06:50 PM

So is this just a monitoring device? Or can you capture to the formats listed on that page. Being able to capture to AVC-Intra would be awesome for keying.

Jay West July 22nd, 2010 10:04 PM

Daniel --

Not sure what you are asking here, What page of formats are you referring to?

Also, are you asking about something other than the MXO2 Mini we have been discussing?

I'll give a shot at an answer if you meant to ask about the Mini.

The MXO2 Mini is a monitoring device with two capture options for HD video: analog-component or HDMI. If you have AVC-Intra cams with HDMI output, it seems like you could output AVC-Intra through the Mini.

Not sure what you meant by "capture." I thought AVC-Intra was recorded to P2 cards. Wouldn't it be easier to move the P2 files to your media drive and edit or transcode to Pro Res or whatever from there?

Or did you mean taking a live, uncompressed feed from a camera sensor through HDMI directly to a computer? If the Panny AVC-Intra cams will send an uncompressed sensor signal out the hdmi, you can use a Mac to capture it to Pro Res. On the PC, however, the MXO2 Mini converts the signal to Matrox MPEG2 which does not seem to be what you are after.

PRO CS5 with a Matrox MXO2 Mini does have sequence presets for AVC Intra 100 and AVC Intra 50. This means that once you get the AVC-I footage into PPRO, the MXO2-Mini and PPro CS5 will display AVCI 100 and AVCI 50 footage from the to an external tv monitor. Not having tried it, I can't say how well that works or how easy or hard it will be to edit with AVCI/100 or AVCI/50.

But maybe you were asking about an MXO LE or something else in the Matrox line?