DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Digital Video Industry News (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/)
-   -   Transformers 3 shooting 3D (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/481282-transformers-3-shooting-3d.html)

Heath McKnight July 2nd, 2010 11:36 AM

Transformers 3 shooting 3D

Michael Bay Shooting Transformers 3 with 3D Cameras | /Film

Plus a look at some other 3D cameras Vince Pace is working on, like the Alexa. I met Vince at NAB 2007 (I know our own Chris Hurd did, too) and was blown away by the NBA footage he shot with the Pace-Cameron 3D cameras. They projected it with a 4K Sony HD projector.

Though I sometimes have a love/hate relationship with cameras (I used to think a better camera would make me a better filmmaker, oh how naive I once was), I still love seeing new tech!

Heath

Heath McKnight July 2nd, 2010 11:37 AM

By the way, I bring this up because in the past, Michael Bay mentioned he hated shooting 3D or HD, and preferred film or IMAX. I assumed they were going 3D post-conversion, as did the /Film article's writer. Glad to see they're doing it natively.

But I wonder if the quick cuts and moves Bay is known for will give us bigger headaches.

Heath

Steve Rusk July 2nd, 2010 01:03 PM

We all should support this project and buy 10 tickets each...make it so successful, he'll want to shoot the next Victoria's Secret fashion show in 3D. Loved that segway/steadicam rig video.

Lawrence Bansbach July 2nd, 2010 05:40 PM

With nonstop explosions, excessive decibel levels, and potentionally iffy 3-D, the patrons will be vomiting in the aisles.

John Wiley July 2nd, 2010 08:21 PM

Avatar is the only movie I've seen in 3d so far so it was a bit of a novelty. My girlfriend, however, has also seen Alice In Wonderland and a few others in 3d and says she hates it now, and that she cannot concentrate properly on the story. This is coming from a girl who wouldn't normally notice anything about the quality of a video/film, even with obvious things like rolling shutter, interlace aftifacts on a PC screen, etc. I wonder if this is the general sentiment of the average movie-going public?

I loved the first two movies for their sheer over-the-top-action-blockbuster-with-hot-chicks-and-exposions-and-robots-and-cool-cars-ridiculousness, but I don't know how comfortable I'd be watching that much action in 3D. Especially seeing as Megan Fox is no longer on board and I won't get to see her assets protruding off the sceen towards me.

John Wiley July 2nd, 2010 08:24 PM

By the way when you click on the link, has anybody else figured out how to minimise the pop-up flash animation for Mother? I can't seem to find the 'close' button anywhere. I hate those things!

Dan Brockett July 6th, 2010 09:04 PM

It does disappoint me that junk like The Last Airbender is still making boatloads of money. The movie would be terrible even in 2D, yet even with the dim, grungy looking 3D conversion, the public still was suckered in to laying down their $12.00 to see it.

Sure, some people hate 3D but when you put the marketing might of Hollywood behind it, people line up with their wallets in their mouth like slack-jawed zombies to see this drivel. As long as they can keep pulling the numbers, you will continue to see Hollywood doing more of these cheesy 2D to 3D conversions than shooting in 3D.

Dan

Dan Passaro July 6th, 2010 10:12 PM

I hope 3D succeeds as well as it did in the 80's ……… ie: not. at. all

lol

Now a holodeck …… that's different :D

Kevin Sherman July 12th, 2010 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lawrence Bansbach (Post 1544757)
With nonstop explosions, excessive decibel levels, and potentionally iffy 3-D, the patrons will be vomiting in the aisles.

Can't wait! Got my Michael Bay endorsed barf-bag on pre-order. :D