Sony pitches "fix it in post" 3D at 3D Conference at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old July 14th, 2010, 05:10 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Sony pitches "fix it in post" 3D at 3D Conference

Studio Daily Blog Sony?s 3D Plan? We Can Fix It in Post

Interesting approach by Sony. Makes me wonder if is because they have no product to compete with the impending Panasonic AG-3DA1 or if they truly are putting big resources into this supposed software solution.

I predict users will go for the simplicity and ease of use with the new Panasonic 3D camera, I am gearing up to hopefully shoot our first project with it. Sony always seems to be about doing it in the biggest, most expensive, most complex way possible whereas with this new camera, Panasonic is taking the "it won't do everything, but it wasn't intended to do everything, but it is really simple, easy and straightforward to shoot beautiful 3D" approach. Will be interesting to see what happens with 3D on the low to medium end.

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2010, 05:20 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I didn't read it as they are going "pure software", but rather the research is being implemented to augment a future 3D "dual acquisition in one body" camera under development (Sony has shown prototypes already). In theory, with dual data streams and sufficient software "post production", it should be possible to do all sorts of tricks with the images. Makes sense to me.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2010, 11:44 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I recently interviewed someone who is in post in the first commercial project shot with the Panasonic AG-3DA1 and he alluded to the same thing, that particularly with convergence and inter-axial, there is an opportunity to tweak the settings as you post. He is editing the show in Premier CS5 and used Neo 3D to do his conversion (mux) the 3D files from the AG-3DA1.

I would say it is Sony's move in low-end 3D, wonder what they will do? I am still not wholly convinced that 3D is the future. It is an intriguing format for certain things but I don't know if it will go past the movie theater with much success at this point. Time will tell.

Dan
Old July 15th, 2010, 08:18 AM   #4
Major Player

Having attended a couple of presentations by Sony about 3D production, the impression I get is that the entire adventure is being lead by the consumer (television) unit, and the broadcast unit is attempting to support it as best they can. There focus so far has been on twin camera rigs developed by third parties, and they've been doing a lot of training and educational seminars.

They have at least one prototype of a single camera 3D unit that's been flashed around here and there.

I think the software solution is just another alternative that some people think offers advantages.
Old July 15th, 2010, 09:48 AM   #5
Major Player

3D-One has a 'simple' 3D camera (full HD) for sale since a few months already:

3D-ONE Home

They are not along the major players, but they were the first with a HD 3D-camera and the footage I've seen looks great!

I guess, the complex setup with the mirror Sony uses, forces them to create a post-solution for the little/tiny deformation that might occur with such a setup. Aligning lenses is close to rocket-science ;-)
(Haha, talking about rocket-science: 3D-one is founded by a company, which makes high-precision instruments for outer-space.)

Anyway, I've visited a lecture about the Sony solution as well: looks like they built an impressive piece of software. They claim it can fix almost anything (within certain limits) except bad focus (which is logical).
Old July 15th, 2010, 12:33 PM   #6
Inner Circle

I've seen photographs of that camera Walter, I was wondering what the heck it was. Thanks for the link.

Dan
Old July 16th, 2010, 10:59 AM   #7
Major Player

lol, it looks more like a spaceship, so I'm not surprised you didn't recognize it ;-)
You are welcome, btw!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News