The Canon 60D has arrived - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old August 27th, 2010, 07:56 AM   #16
Regular Crew

1/3 stop iso and kelvin

1/3 stop ISO and Kelvin WB... Two big big things missing from the t2i are on this camera... If the higher ISO's are as clean as a 7D there won't be much of a reason left to stay with a 7 over the 60... Articulating screen, SD cards instead of CF, and manual audio control... It beats the 7 in several things as long as the iso is clean...
Old August 27th, 2010, 10:47 AM   #17
Major Player

I'm really interested in this camera. I find the dial controls and top display on my 40D so much nicer than the rebel controls, and I thought the t2i was too small when I played with it in the store. This is a nice compromise for someone who wants more pro features but is on a tighter budget. I'm sure the newer features in this will find their way to other models sooner or later.

Of course, if this drives the price of the t2i and 7D down a few bucks as well, that would be nice.
Jason Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2010, 11:32 AM   #18
Regular Crew

For the rebel owner, 60D is a perfect upgrade without breaking the bank.

From the inside, T2i, 60D and 7D are all the same, they all take excellent picture and same video quality. What makes them different are the functions of the camera and the body.

One thing that makes 60D stand out is the price range. At $1100, it doesn't have the small body as the T2i, professional look of the 7D with some 7D functions and swivel screen.

However, if any of you are looking to buy a new cam and considering the 60d. Maybe you should reconsider the T2i and 7D, because of the printer rebate going on at BH or Amazon.

I pull the trigger on a 7D yesterday even through Canon just announce the 60D, I would wait a little because the 7D will definitely drop in price further, but I need it now. Also, I can get a free professional printer and I also do photography, the 7D has better AF system, better viewfinder, faster burst rate and better body construction.

One interesting thing is that the T2i, 60D and 7D are exact $300 different in price. $800 for the T21, $1100 for 60D and $1534 for the 7D. So there you go, if you looking for something exactly in between of the T2i and 7D, Canon has already help you to decide.

As for filming, these cameras are almost the same because of the magic lantern.
On a budge, T2i.
Swivel screen and some professional function, 60d.
Full metal jacket, 7d.
Full frame, 5dMkII
Man Yip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2010, 12:41 PM   #19
Regular Crew

So, does the 60D have AF with video? I can't tell from what I've read. Does anyone have anything definitive? Thanks!
Marc Brackhahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2010, 03:03 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Brackhahn View Post
So, does the 60D have AF with video? I can't tell from what I've read. Does anyone have anything definitive? Thanks!
I read that it does but haven't seen anything that specifically says auto focuses while shooting video. Maybe some of the online videos will give a clue?

The specs on Canon's site seem to say AF in Live mode:

Shooting Modes
(1) Live View shooting
(2) Remote Live View shooting (with a personal computer installed with EOS Utility)

Focusing
Autofocus (One-Shot AF)
1. Live mode - One-point, contrast AF. Switching to another AF point possible.
2. Face Detection Live mode - Face Detection, Contrast AF. Face selectable.
3. Quick mode - Nine-point, phase-difference AF, same as normal shooting.

Manual focus - Magnify the image by 5x or 10x and focus manually.
Dave Eaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2010, 05:53 PM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Brackhahn View Post
Not according to Gizmodo's write-up:

"Which means video and Live View autofocus ain't any better, unlike Nikon and Sony's latest"

Canon 60D Impressions: The Perfect Video DSLR Is Just a Little Bit Closer

and the comparison chart at dpreview doesn't list it:

Canon EOS 60D Hands-on Preview: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review
Old August 27th, 2010, 06:26 PM   #22
Trustee

Having an articulating screen is a HUGE bonus. I'm glad Canon finally decided to put one in a DSLR for a change.
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2010, 10:51 AM   #23
Major Player

The Gizmodo article said the 60D has a built in tilt-shift filter. I wonder if this works with the video mode. Would be interesting if it worked with video in time-lapse mode.

This is definitely more of a "super rebel" than an entry level pro camera. Notice in Canon's introductory video that the guy never once uses the camera in the traditional manner, but just uses the LCD display?
Old August 28th, 2010, 11:30 AM   #24
Trustee

There is no timelapse mode. To do timelapse with a DSLR, you take a serie of still pictures with an intervalometer. So yes, you will be able to use the tilt-shift filter for timelapses.
Old September 22nd, 2010, 11:55 AM   #25
Major Player

Looks like these are starting to show up in the retail channels. Can't wait to see some real world results
Old September 22nd, 2010, 12:52 PM   #26
Major Player

I just bought a 60D last night for for $1,030 Canadian. I was planning on buying a 7D, but the price was too good to turn down.
Guy McLoughlin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News