The Canon 60D has arrived at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old August 26th, 2010, 12:04 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Eos 60d

Here it is. Manual audio level, vari-angle LCD, SD cards, smaller and lighter than 7D.

Canon EOS 60D Hands-on Preview: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review
Alan Halfhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2010, 12:10 AM   #2
Major Player

The Canon 60D has arrived

Canon U.S.A. : Consumer & Home Office : EOS 60D

I have to admit a rotating, better in sunlight is making my 7D a little jealous.
Evan C. King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2010, 12:49 AM   #3
Major Player

Keep in mind that they changed the positioning of this camera. It is now below the 7D and above the 550D whereas the old 50D was positioned in place of the 7D. This means the build quality of this camera is below the build quality of the old 50D... lightweight and more plastic like the 550D.

The specifications looks nice though. But I want to see what Nikon is going to do with the D90 replacement and the D700 replacement. Not yet buying into a DSLR system at this moment.
Floris van Eck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2010, 01:01 AM   #4
Regular Crew

same video performance

Since this is a video site, I am guessing that as far as video goes, the video performance will be the same as the 7d/550d. The flip screen however, will prove a god-send as it will make the process of looking at the subject much easier.

I like the camera and at U$1,100 at the start, it's a good price to get that articulating LCD and other goodies. I don't care much about the plastic body. That is a polycarbonate body, so that is not just ordinary plastic. I don't mind it is not magnesium alloy like before. There are a host of features that still make it better as a still camera compared to the 550d. The wireless flash trigger is good, and that raw converter in body can be useful. The lost the joystick button w/c I like, but I can live with that.

At the same time, it does not threaten the 7D. .

The Sony alpha 55 and 33 though is also something worth looking at. Unfortunately, I have canon lenses. Though for video and if I were to just get some basic lenses (kit and maybe a prime, or just get an adapter for Canon lenses) it might work. At U$850 with the 18-55 kit lens, it's a good starter. I can get the upcoming 85 f2.8 lens for U$250 and maybe another prime, I should be ok. If primarily for video, maybe the a55 is worth looking at as an option vs the new 60d. Will make more study on this later.

For it's price, the 60d is pretty decent. It really sits between the 7d and 550d.
Mel Enriquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2010, 01:03 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Just a couple of notes that stood out to me:
1. articulating screen!
2. has manual audio controls (5Dmk2 and 60D; dont expect the 1dmk4,7D,t2i to get the manual audio firmware upgrade)
3. uses sd cards. [i have too many 32gb UDMA CF cards! I need the super fast transfer speeds!!]
4. didnt fix/address hdmi issue

Points 1 and 2 should draw more buyers to Canon.
Sony and Nikon is WAYYY behind... Panasonic w/ the AF100 is okay.

Last edited by Jack Tran; August 26th, 2010 at 01:05 AM. Reason: spelling
Jack Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2010, 01:17 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Just found this 60D Product walkthrough video on Youtube. This could possibly be shot on the 60D.

YouTube - Canon EOS 60D product walkthrough video
Mark Grgurev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2010, 01:18 AM   #7
Trustee

The only thing I would like to see is if the hdmi out switches resolution upon record like the 5d and t2i or is it like the 7d and stays at 1080.
Something tells me with a single processor, it will be more like the t2i and 5d in which case, 7d here I come!
Old August 26th, 2010, 08:41 AM   #8
Trustee

I'm just reading this article myself. Looks very interesting.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2010, 08:42 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Anyone know if this will output a full HD signal while recording like the 7D does?
Paul Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2010, 08:59 AM   #10
Trustee

Until they come out and somebody can verify it,I think that's the million dollar (or at least $600 move up to the 7d) question.
Old August 26th, 2010, 10:52 AM   #11
Major Player

Will the 60D have in-between ISOs like the 7D? I've got a 7D and a T2i and that has been a significant difference for me between the two.
Bryan McCullough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2010, 12:08 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel Enriquez View Post
Since this is a video site, I am guessing that as far as video goes, the video performance will be the same as the 7d/550d. The flip screen however, will prove a god-send as it will make the process of looking at the subject much easier.

I like the camera and at U$1,100 at the start, it's a good price to get that articulating LCD and other goodies. I don't care much about the plastic body. That is a polycarbonate body, so that is not just ordinary plastic. I don't mind it is not magnesium alloy like before. There are a host of features that still make it better as a still camera compared to the 550d. The wireless flash trigger is good, and that raw converter in body can be useful. The lost the joystick button w/c I like, but I can live with that.

At the same time, it does not threaten the 7D. .

The Sony alpha 55 and 33 though is also something worth looking at. Unfortunately, I have canon lenses. Though for video and if I were to just get some basic lenses (kit and maybe a prime, or just get an adapter for Canon lenses) it might work. At U$850 with the 18-55 kit lens, it's a good starter. I can get the upcoming 85 f2.8 lens for U$250 and maybe another prime, I should be ok. If primarily for video, maybe the a55 is worth looking at as an option vs the new 60d. Will make more study on this later.

For it's price, the 60d is pretty decent. It really sits between the 7d and 550d.
DP Review says "The 60D loses the PC sync terminal but gains the ability to control a group of flahsguns wirelessly - a feature that first appeared on the EOS 7D".
Marc Brackhahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2010, 08:41 PM   #13
Major Player

The 60D is on the Canon website now:

ISO Speed Range
- ISO 100 - 6400 (in 1/3-stop or whole-stop increments)
- ISO 12800 can be enabled with a Custom Function.
- With [Highlight tone priority], the ISO speed range will be automatically set within 200-6400.

Dave Eaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2010, 12:11 AM   #14
Regular Crew

I can't seem to find anything that says there is a recording limit to the video. I'm really hoping there's no length limit.
Mark Grgurev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2010, 05:51 AM   #15
Major Player

It has the same 4 GB limit (i.e. about 12 minutes)

"Video can be captured at a number of resolutions and frame rates for numerous applications. It can capture 1920 x 1080 Full HD video at frame rates of 30 (29.97 fps), 24 (23.976 fps) and 25.0 frames per second, for up to 4GB per clip"

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News