DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Digital Video Industry News (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/)
-   -   Canon shows UHD at Expo (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/484146-canon-shows-uhd-expo.html)

Chris Hurd September 1st, 2010 10:10 AM

Canon shows UHD at Expo

Working 4K camera, 4K display and more.

Read about it here:

Canon Inc. shows UHD at Canon Expo at DVInfo.net

Discuss it here.

Eric Lagerlof September 1st, 2010 10:29 AM

Very cool. Single 2/3" sensor with propietary filtering... Are we really going to hve UHD soccer moms?

Sean Woods September 1st, 2010 10:31 AM

It looks pretty good, but I think I'm more excited that Canon is going to manufacture 2 and 4k displays.

Sean Woods September 1st, 2010 10:43 AM

Correction: 4 and 8K. WOW. Chris, is there anyway you can describe what an 8K display looks like to your eyes? :)

Jad Meouchy September 1st, 2010 02:02 PM

I love technology!

Chris Hurd September 1st, 2010 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean Woods (Post 1565061)
... an 8K display ...

My apologies; that was a typo. Meant to say 2K and 4K displays. The part about 8K should have referred to an 8K broadcast UHDTV lens. I've since corrected the article. Sorry for any confusion.

Bob Hart September 1st, 2010 07:34 PM

Chris.

Regardless of typos - we all do them, thanks for keeping us remote viewers accessably in touch with the tech.

I wonder just how much Jim Jannard's endeavours prompted this particular fire in Canon's belly.

It would be interesting to know how much their R&D budget was for just a "concept demonstrator" versus what it cost to put the SI2K system into workable form.

Of course, when the wearable headset which pulls and records an audio-visual signal from the human brain becomes commonplace, all these camera thingys with pretty glass on front become moot.

With the amazing pace at which tech is advancing, I may not be moldering in the ground when such things come to pass.

Brian Drysdale September 2nd, 2010 02:09 AM

Seems like they should look at the ergonomics, it may look wonderful on the CAD, but less so if you have to use the thing, especially hand held.

Tim Polster September 2nd, 2010 07:07 AM

Thanks for the article Chris.

I guess we all knew this was coming someday. It looks like they are moving the megapixel race over to displays. I guess they figure consumers are used to equating higher megapixels with "better" cameras and hope they think the same about television.

HD, 3D now 4k and I still deliver so much on DVD. Just seems a little out of skew at this moment.

I think I have a slight case of tech burnout. I am sure it will fade in time!

Zach Love September 2nd, 2010 07:45 AM

DVD? Lucky guy. I'm doing tons of stuff for the web in 320x240!

HD took nearly 30 years from its' invention to implementation. Yay for the speed of technology!

Though I think higher resolution cameras won't take decades to be accepted, I doubt that they will become the baseline standard ever ("I want my wedding shot in nothing less than 25k & then exported to then 1" screen on my calculator watch."). Look how many Flip cameras have sold to soccer parents, that is honestly all the video camera they'll ever need at a price they're willing to pay.

Kinda cool to see this, but I almost feel like if this is a sign of the future, Canon is going to need a bailout.

At the autoshow car manufactures would show off cars that would "wow" the audience, and then continue to make the same mediocre product that people weren't thrilled to purchase. Now Canon is showing off a camera to "wow" the audience, but has no plans of selling it to the public. At the same time, some guy with an accessory kiosk at the mall has started up his own camera company & is actually making Canon's future concept camera a reality today.

Dear Canon,
Please don't fall to the same fate as the Detroit big 3. Instead of doing spending time on R&D catchup (to a guy who sold millions of $5 sunglasses for $200), just add XLR inputs & controls to all your still cameras. The billions of dollars will kinda be like a bailout, except you don't have to pay the money back b/c it is profit.*

(*Just watch, they announce this later today or tomorrow & I'll feel like I put my foot in my mouth)

Jack Zhang September 2nd, 2010 08:42 AM

If Canon is the first in the world to develop affordable full-raster 1080p(60) CMOS sensors with global shutters, I'm sold.

Right now, all the CMOS in the world won't convince me to get another CMOS camera unless it's a global shutter that's invulnerable to skew and flash banding.

Evan Donn September 2nd, 2010 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zach Love (Post 1565357)
Kinda cool to see this, but I almost feel like if this is a sign of the future, Canon is going to need a bailout.

You're assuming this has anything to do with filmmaking or videography - it probably doesn't. At a client's trade show earlier this year I saw some amazing rigs for doing heart surgery via remote-controlled robotic arms. These things had stereoscopic 3D HD displays for the surgeon - that to me seems the obvious market for something like this prototype.

Chris Hurd September 2nd, 2010 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zach Love (Post 1565357)
I almost feel like if this is a sign of the future, Canon is going to need a bailout.

Zach, you're talking about a highly profitable multi-billion dollar corporation which is incredibly diversified. The success or failure of one camera model is not going to make them or break them. The potential market for this thing is only a tiny little slice of their very large pie. Sometimes it's easy to overlook the fact that they make so much more than just cameras.

Heath McKnight September 5th, 2010 06:16 PM

I'll add that Canon made a ton of money with the XL-1 (and 1s and 2), and is currently dominating the HDSLR market that popped up in the last 2-3 years. I may be a Nikon guy for DSLR, and a Sony guy for HD (EX1, etc.), but I still believe in Canon.

Heath

Roger Shealy September 5th, 2010 07:14 PM

OK, now I'm having visions of everyone having to use NeoScene UHD in order to make this footage editable on a 16 core i10 chip! I'll never catch up!