JVC HM-750 press release at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old January 31st, 2011, 03:54 PM   #1
Major Player

HM 750 - New Camera

JVC Professional Features page

FYI...Upgraded DSP and records to two slots at same time.

Cheers
Old January 31st, 2011, 07:44 PM   #2
Wrangler

...and I think you can also record to a SxS module in the MP4 wrapper at the same time as the redundant recording to two SDHC cards! (This is yet to be confirmed.)
Old February 1st, 2011, 01:51 PM   #3
Regular Crew

JVC HM-750 press release

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
High resolution photo

JVC INTRODUCES GY-HM750U PROHD CAMCORDER

New HD/SD Compact Shoulder-Mount Model Offers Simultaneous Recording to
Two SDHC Cards, Optional ASI Module for Live ENG Microwave Broadcasts

WAYNE, NJ (January 31, 2011) – JVC Professional Products Company, a division of JVC Americas Corp., today introduced the GY-HM750U ProHD compact shoulder-mount camcorder. Ideal for ENG news, sports, documentaries, events, and other location shoots, it offers the industry’s fastest shoot-to-edit workflow by recording native HD or SD footage in ready-to-edit file formats on low-cost SDHC memory cards.

Equipped with the same 3-CCD imaging system found in the GY-HM790U, JVC’s ProHD flagship camcorder, the GY-HM750U delivers outstanding 1920x1080 images in a small, lightweight form factor. It records at selectable data rates up to 35 Mbps and can record HD footage in 720p, 1080p, and 1080i, as well as SD footage (480i).

Using JVC’s established native file-based workflow, the GY-HM750U includes a dual card slot design that records to non-proprietary SDHC cards and/or optional SxS recorder. A new feature, borne from numerous customer requests, allows simultaneous recording to both SDHC cards for instant backup or client copy.

JVC’s native file recording technology allows recording in ready-to-edit file formats for Apple Final Cut Pro or Adobe Premiere (.MOV), as well as other major NLE systems that are compatible with Sony XDCAM EX files (.MP4). For legacy SD applications, the camcorder can also record standard DV files (.AVI or .MOV).

“High definition has not yet been standardized in many markets, and a vital segment of broadcasters don’t have the infrastructure to deliver HD from the field,” said Craig Yanagi, national marketing and brand manager. “That’s why the new GY-HM750U offers the flexibility to record in 480i as well as a variety of HD formats. It can fulfill current SD needs while providing an seamless transition to HD in the future, all with the fastest and most efficient workflow available in the industry today.”

Building on the modular approach of the GY-HM790U, the GY-HM750U includes a 68-pin chassis connector that creates a clean, direct interface with various modules – no external cables needed. The new KA-AS790 ASI output module, for example, provides a direct feed from the camera to a satellite uplink or microwave transmitter via BNC, which is ideal for broadcasters that want live HD video from the field. Not only can the camera be connected to the transmitter or uplink with a single BNC cable, thereby eliminating the need for additional “black box” interfaces, but the GY-HM750U automatically switches to low-latency mode (less than 300ms delay) when the module is in use.

JVC has also improved its Pre Rec (retro cache) feature, which continuously records and stores footage in cache memory and helps prevent missed shots of breaking events. The GY-HM750U stores 20 seconds of footage in its cache. Other features include variable frame rate recording, extensive image customization, a high resolution (1.22 million pixel) LCOS viewfinder and 4.3-inch flip-out LCD monitor, and JVC’s patented Focus Assist functionality. The GY-HM750U also features two XLR audio inputs with phantom power, plus manual audio level controls with audio meter.

The GY-HM750U is priced at $7,450, including a Canon 14:1 zoom lens, though it accommodates a variety of lenses with its 1/3-inch bayonet lens mount. JVC offers 10 lenses from Canon and Fujinon, as well as a broad line of studio and field accessories, that are compatible with the GY-HM750U. The camcorder will ship in February and be demonstrated at the 2011 NAB Show, which runs April 11-14 at the Las Vegas Convention Center in Las Vegas, Nev. (Booth C4314).

A LoLux version of the camera specially designed for ENG use, the GY-HM750LL, will also be available to direct broadcast customers next month. Developed to assist television journalists when external lighting cannot be used, JVC’s exclusive LoLux feature goes beyond the normal gain boost to produce broadcast acceptable imagery in extremely low-light environments.

ABOUT JVC PROFESSIONAL PRODUCTS COMPANY
Headquartered in Wayne, New Jersey, JVC Professional Products Company, a division of JVC Americas Corp., is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Victor Company of Japan Ltd. JVC is a leading manufacturer and distributor of broadcast and professional video and audio equipment. For further product information, visit JVC’s Web site at JVC PROFESSIONAL PRODUCTS COMPANY or call (800)582-5825.

# # #
Casey Krugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2011, 02:36 PM   #4
Space Hipster

Nice.
I like the LoLux version.
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2011, 03:45 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I have to figure (obvious observation) that it's going to replace the 700 over time but I wonder if it's going to also replace the 790? Just curious.
Old February 1st, 2011, 03:47 PM   #6
Major Player

The Lo Lux version and its reason for selling it is interesting. I had to assume that broadcasters were not especially excited about low lux abilities, having a license more so than other video people to use lights where and when they wanted, and assumed that is why Canon did nothing super special for the low light end of their broadcast approved XF300/305.
Galen Rath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2011, 08:22 PM   #7
JVC America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood View Post
...and I think you can also record to a SxS module in the MP4 wrapper at the same time as the redundant recording to two SDHC cards! (This is yet to be confirmed.)
Yes, you can, Tim.
Old February 1st, 2011, 09:31 PM   #8
Trustee

@Craig, thanks for your input, saw you in the JVC promo video. Looks like a good ENG camera...does it offer the pool-video (dv) input like the 790u? Great feature in a place like this where there's lots of pool situations...
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2011, 09:32 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Still no time lapse on the new camera, I really miss not having that feature on my 700. I like the dual record option, that would be useful in many situations.
Scott Berrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2011, 10:02 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Vaughan View Post
does it offer the pool-video (dv) input like the 790u?
It doesn't look like it has a pool feed, Battle.....

ProHD Camcorder Differences
Old February 2nd, 2011, 11:03 AM   #11
Obstreperous Rex

Duplicate threads merged, with a re-direct from our ProHD forum to
Industry News (it will go back to ProHD eventually). Our 700 / 790
forum is re-named to include the new 750.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2011, 03:32 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Is the new model any better than the existing models in regards to base ISO? There is not mention of the f-stop at 2000 lux on the website. An f8 at 2000 lux 1/3" camera is hard to justify.

The camera looks nice, but it is a shame that it does not offer 4:2:2 levels of SD recording as the bandwidth is there from the HD side. An HDMI output would be a nice addition as well since this is an under $10,000 camera and a lot of users will be monitoring on an HDMI device.

Funny how the SD options of these HD cameras came out in their second and third generations. I guess we all thought SD would go away a lot quicker (if it ever does) than it is...

Love the form factor.

Last edited by Tim Polster; February 3rd, 2011 at 09:06 AM.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2011, 11:54 PM   #13
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin Bellows View Post
It doesn't look like it has a pool feed, Battle.....

ProHD Camcorder Differences
Thanks for the link, Calvin, I was looking for a comparison matrix and couldn't find it....!
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2011, 09:56 PM   #14
JVC America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Vaughan View Post
@Craig, thanks for your input, saw you in the JVC promo video. Looks like a good ENG camera...does it offer the pool-video (dv) input like the 790u? Great feature in a place like this where there's lots of pool situations...
No, the pool feed feature is exclusive to the HM790 (and HD250).
Old February 3rd, 2011, 10:03 PM   #15
JVC America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Bloom View Post
I have to figure (obvious observation) that it's going to replace the 700 over time but I wonder if it's going to also replace the 790? Just curious.
The HM750 is an addition to the 700 Series. The HM750's increased processing capabilities enable it to record SD as .avi or .mov DV files, as well as simultaneous dual slot recording, a feature requested on this forum multiple times. There's also 20 sec. of cache available.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News