DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Digital Video Industry News (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/)
-   -   Avid announces new product: Avid Studio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/491801-avid-announces-new-product-avid-studio.html)

Floris van Eck February 15th, 2011 04:06 PM

Avid announces new product: Avid Studio

Avid | Avid Studio

Overview
Transform your HD videos, photos, and audio files into rich, multimedia experiences with Avid® Studio movie production software––featuring the same technology used by top Hollywood editors. Edit like a pro with sophisticated photo and video correction tools, a powerful library that organizes all your media in one place, unlimited timeline tracks for advanced effects, and more. In-depth training materials get you started quickly, and the included templates, effects, and transitions provide fresh inspiration for each new project. Integrated disc authoring and a variety of export formats make it easy to share your production with family, friends, and the world.

Key Features
Sophisticated movie editing tools, including markers and keyframes
Powerful media management library to organize videos, photos, and audio files
Media editor to apply corrections or effects to videos, photos, and audio
Unlimited timeline tracks for advanced editing and compositing
Professional add-ons and plug-ins (valued at over $2,000):
Red Giant Plug-in package
Complete Avid content package
100 additional HD video transitions
Comprehensive collection of how-to videos from Class on Demand™
Motion Titler for adding animated graphics and text
Audio tools for professional sound quality
5.1 surround sound import/export functionality
AVCHD burning; DVD and Blu-ray disc authoring and burning tools
5' x 6' green screen sheet for chroma-key effects

They position it between Pinnacle and Media Composer.
Avid | Avid Studio

Only $169 and that includes many professional plug-ins (i.e. Red Giant Magic Bullet and Knoll Light Factory)

Rob Katz February 15th, 2011 09:36 PM

sounds interesting

i wish there was an apple/mac version

ymmv

be well

rob

Jos Svendsen February 16th, 2011 08:10 AM

It is a turbo version of Pinnacle Studie with a lot of extra effects filters thrown in. So it is the same Pinnacle engine. Studio is nice software if you have the right hardware.

Markus Bo February 16th, 2011 11:34 AM

Avid Liquid was a marvelous editing software, now condensed into Avid Studio. Well, I thought when I first read "Avid Studio": Hey, they are back on track but, no........unfortunately they let Liquid it die.

Sanjin Svajger February 17th, 2011 02:05 PM

This costs only 180$. What is this a consumer-ish editor?

Bill Koehler February 17th, 2011 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jos Svendsen (Post 1618718)
It is a turbo version of Pinnacle Studie with a lot of extra effects filters thrown in. So it is the same Pinnacle engine. Studio is nice software if you have the right hardware.

I am interested in finding out where you got that information, Jos - that Avid Studio is built on top of the Pinnacle Studio engine. Any weblinks handy?

Michael Wisniewski February 17th, 2011 09:22 PM

This German beta-tester seems to be saying that Avid Studio was developed from the code base of Avid Liquid 9, and then given an interface similar to Pinnacle Studio. But my German is really, really rusty.

FWIW: Here's the press release.

Floris van Eck February 17th, 2011 10:52 PM

I haven't used my german skills for a while...

The article reads:

Entwickelt wurde das Avid Studio in München, zum Teil von dem Team, das schon für das alte Fast 601/Purple/Silver beziehungsweise das bis exakt vor einem Jahr weitergeführte Liquid, verantwortlich zeichnete. Der Programmcode der eingestellten Software hat überlebt, denn er arbeitet bereits seit der Version 9 unter der weitgehend unveränderte Oberfläche des Pinnacle Studios. Mit dem neuen Schnittprogramm, setzt Avid dennoch ein anderes Zeichen: Das Schnittprogramm soll nicht nur bei der Oberfläche neue Wege gehen, sondern ist abermals komplett neu programmiert.

translates roughly to

Avid Studio was developed in München, a part of it by the team, responsible for the fast 601/Purple/silver interface that has been used in the now-discontinued Liquid. The program code has survived, and is since version 9 under the mostly unchanged interface of Pinnacle Studios. With the new Avid Studio, Avid doesn't only go new ways with the interface, but it is also completely reprogrammed.

Markus Bo February 18th, 2011 04:31 AM

No corrections! Good job :-) They refer in vers. 9 to Pinnacle Studio. But yes, it looks like consumer stuff.

Richard Gooderick February 18th, 2011 02:59 PM

Interesting to learn that Liquid may have survived in some form at least.
I had to migrate to Media Composer when Avid discontinued Liquid.
But Liquid was a hugely elegant, intuitive and efficient example of great software design. I miss it badly.
If the Liquid team have designed this it is well worth checking out.

Philip Howells February 21st, 2011 09:42 AM

Re: Avid announces new product: Avid Studio

Richard I concur. I couldn't justify the upgrade to MC so continue with Liquid, a little frustrating now that 3rd parties no longer support their products which worked perfectly well before.

However, I've recently upgraded my z1s to ex1rs and I'm having the devils own job getting my clips into Liquid. The mods in the old forum (well one in particular) are frankly useless - one line answers - one for example which said simply that "plug-ins in Liquid were never very good" - not exactly a great help.

I wonder if there's enough of Liquid in Avid Studio to make it worthwhile - on the other hand included free with my new camera is a copy of Vegas 10 PRO. I don't mind the learning curve but I'm sure I'll miss things like not having to save. On the other hand again apparently it take native EX1R files straight in and I've got three 64Gb cards waiting to be worked on.

Roger Van Duyn February 21st, 2011 01:47 PM

I'm still using HDV cameras, and it will be hard to beat Liquid's workflow. I took the upgrade offer to Media Composer, but am not using it for real work. I wanted to cover the bases for when I eventually shift from tape to card based, likely AVCHD format.

However, I may opt for a card based storage system that attaches to my HDV cameras. Properly shot HDV footage is fine for the clients I usually get. Then I can continue to use Liquid for another couple of years. Having footage from the timeline go to a web ready format or to DVD with one click saves a lot of time. I can deliver some projects to clients the very next day.

Nevertheless, I am extremely interested in the new Avid Studio. If it supports multicam and multiple monitor editing environment comparable to Liquid, I'll buy it. Done deal. Especially since it apparently supports native AVCHD editing. That would be my most likely type of camera, given current revenue from my business, that I would switch to from HDV, at least in the next two years.

It is pretty inexpensive, so not much risk should it not work out. Of course, maybe MC's workflow is better than it seems to me. Maybe I haven't caught on yet. But I've used plenty of software packages since the early eighties, and didn't take this long to come up with efficient ways to do my work. Yeah, I can do the work in MC, but it takes me longer than Liquid.

Steve Mullen February 22nd, 2011 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Floris van Eck (Post 1619326)
, and is since version 9 under the mostly unchanged interface of Pinnacle Studios. With the new Avid Studio, Avid doesn't only go new ways with the interface, but it is also completely reprogrammed.

It seems to say they tossed out the wonderful Liquid human interface that is/was very close to Composer and used the toy Pinnacle interface. That would lead one to think the Liquid engine was retained.

Unfortunately, the Liquid engine was a multi-part beast. Some was very old.

Then it seems to say it's completely reprogrammed.

So hopefully they mean by that the engine was cleaned-up.

But, if it has Pinnacle interface IMHO it's another Avid failure that can't compete with iMovie and Vegas Movie Studio. (I leave out Premiere Elements because it has zero real time capabilities. It's like going back to the late 1990's.)

David Parks February 22nd, 2011 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roger Van Duyn (Post 1620496)
Nevertheless, I am extremely interested in the new Avid Studio. If it supports multicam and multiple monitor editing environment comparable to Liquid, I'll buy it

I doubt that multicam will be offered at $169.00 price point. That would be too good to be true.

Bruce Foreman February 22nd, 2011 12:18 PM

When Pinnacle Studio 10 was introduced, Pinnacle stated Studio was totally "re-written" around the Liquid Edition "engine". Studio 10 as introduced was a MESS, but after a couple of updates most things kind of worked out.

I started out with the original Pinnacle StudioDV that came free with a 1394 Firewire port card I had to put in my computer to handle the first Sony Digital8 I got. I upgraded to Pinnacle Studio 7 and then each version up through 12.1 which I run now.

I noticed the offer to upgrade to Avid Studio.