Canon and Techicolor form alliance at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old April 5th, 2011, 03:11 PM   #1
Major Player

Canon and Techicolor form alliance

Technicolor | About Technicolor | Press Center | 2011 | Technicolor & Canon USA Form Strategic Alliance To Leverage Technicolor Color Science for Canon EOS DSLR Cameras

I wonder what this means. Talk of more latitude in grading. Is this a pre cursor to something special from Canon at NAB? I hope so. I cannot see this being much use on a heavily compressed codec and I hope it isn't just a set of picture profiles in post production so I await with bated breath................
Old April 11th, 2011, 07:16 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Canon and Techicolor form alliance

I'm wondering how all this will shake out too - I mean a set of picture profiles for the camera would be nice and all, but I'm doing just fine with my slightly tweaked neutral... so I too am hoping it is something more.
Old April 11th, 2011, 07:56 PM   #3
Trustee

According to the Technicolor guys in the booth it's a custom preset that mimics a log look so they can have a standardized setting to build color/film look plugins off of.

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2011, 07:59 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Read the press release carefully.

Here's a small excerpt: "The new suite of creative tools will be inaugurated with Technicolor’s CineStyle, that coupled with Technicolor’s Digital Printer Lights™, will provide a more seamless pipeline, from principal photography into editorial, for projects filmed using Canon EOS DSLR cameras."

Technicolor | Production & Post-Production ? Digital Printer Lights
Kirk Candlish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2011, 11:13 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Sounds like a lead up to the 5d Mark III and 7D Mark II. I'm leaning more to the thinking that Canon has seen real potential in this new market of filmmakers, and will deliver a RAW format. The problem is RAW is not for everyone, so maybe they are using Technicolor to give users a more automated way of grading. Latitude I think would reefer to post process rather then internal function in the camera or both. Options of various codec from Prores to RAW would be great!!!
Old April 13th, 2011, 12:20 AM   #6
Inner Circle

At the Canon booth the Technicolor rep said that their custom picture style will be available as a free download within the month.

The real-time color correction and logging tools are independent of the picture style. You don't need the Technicolor picture style to use the tools well.

Apparently, the Technicolor color scientists worked with Canon closely to develop the exact curve that they wanted. It sounded to me like the Canon engineers in Japan actually cooked up the implementation, based on Technicolor's spec and development feedback. If so, they weren't limited by the frustrating Picture Style Editor interface. ;)
Old April 13th, 2011, 01:18 AM   #7
Regular Crew

VIncent Laforet during a live interview yesterday said the Technicolor preset will offer a lot more than what we can adjust with just the picture style editor and will be THE preset to shoot with for video.
Tim Kerigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2011, 08:45 PM   #8
Inner Circle

I want to see the preset on my own footage, but the stuff they showed on a live scene looked nice. It was natural and had a wide latitude. (Wait, aren't latitudes tall and longitudes wide?)

Some might not like the low contrast. If somebody wants to shoot, cut, and deliver, this isn't for them. But for us graders out there, this has the chance to be a de facto standard.

It won't make Technicolor any money directly, but it's a nice gesture - and a solid marketing strategy.
Old April 15th, 2011, 03:50 AM   #9
Major Player

Available month end

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News