DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Digital Video Industry News (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/)
-   -   New POV camera: Replay XD1080 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/497132-new-pov-camera-replay-xd1080.html)

Bernd Eller June 14th, 2011 02:28 AM

New POV camera: Replay XD1080

Seems there will be one more POV camera option soon: It's called Replay XD1080 and claims to be the lightest and smallest 1080p camera on the market. But the most interesting feature might be its live HDMI out that can stream uncompressed 720p, 960p and 1080p bypassing the internal h.264 compression. Here is the press release:

REPLAY XD® Unveils the New XD1080 HD Action Video Camera, Packed with Pro-Shooter Features & Easy to Use Controls in a Bulletproof Body

Newbury Park, CA (PRWEB) June 08, 2011

Full HD is now Smaller, Lighter and Smarter. Introducing the all-new, radically different Replay XD1080. Starting with a clean sheet of paper, the video experts at Replay XD managed to combine stunning high definition video and a wide range of professional camera features into the smallest package on the market… period. Featuring a water-resistant, hard anodized, rugged aluminum housing for extreme adventures, the Replay XD1080 is the smallest and lightest full HD action camera on the market, and is packed with pro-level audio, live uncompressed HDMI video out in full HD, video playback, external audio line-in, time-lapse photography, and highly-configurable image and camera settings. All in a sleek, rugged, aluminum tube smaller than anything on the market. The game just changed.

At only 3 ounces, 28mm x 93mm, Replay XD 1080 is the lightest and smallest 1080P camera on the market. Whether shooting on a movie set, from the hood of a racecar, flying high on a Motocross bike, Mountain Bike, Snowboard, or carving through a wave, the Replay XD1080 can capture jaw-dropping video where others simply cannot. The new model features color rich 1080p or 960p HD video at 30 frames per second or 720p HD at 30/60 frames per second for high-speed action. The system packs a crystal clear non-fisheye, non-distorted 135 degree field of view lens and 5-megapixel image sensor. It will allow the addition of widely available lenses, filters & polarizers. Time-lapse photography can be shot in 3, 5, 15 & 30 second increments in full 5MP, 2592 x 1944 printable stills.

Replay XD1080 provides a live HDMI out that can not only allow for connection to any HDMI monitor for precise framing of your shot, but it can also stream live uncompressed video in whatever mode you select 1080p, 960p or 720p as the action happens. Perfect for broadcast transmission for live television or on-site production. The Replay XD can also do just that… Replay direct to any HDMI compatible TV or device through an incredibly intuitive playback interface.

In addition to the camera's best-in-class onboard mic, the Replay XD1080 also has a secondary audio input that allows users to feed audio from their own source such as race radios, LAV mics iPods and more. Filmmakers can mic their subjects for crystal clear audio in every scenario.

The Setting of modes is so simple through the rear multi color LED panel. Pick your setting once and replace the cap, it’s that easy. The Power and Record buttons are on the top and require one simple touch. Each command provides a specific vibration feedback to let you know it’s starting or stopping. The Replay XD1080 records up to 120 minutes of video on a single charge of the internal Li-Ion battery. It comes with a 4GB micro SD card and can support up to a 32GB micro SD. The system also remembers the last setting and holds it, even if you run the battery down. Also, simple “Quick-Clip” function allows on the fly editing in the field.

Unlike other, bulky action sports cameras, the Replay XD line can be mounted virtually anywhere, due to its compact size and shape. The Replay XD1080 comes with an exclusive HeimLock swivel/tilt mount, and LowBoy flat mount. It comes with 2 convex and 2 flat SnapTrays with 3M VHB adhesive to mount almost anywhere.

In addition to the two mounts, the camera also comes with a kit that includes a soft silk protective pouch, a black ballistic carrying case, 4GB micro SDHC card which holds up to 2 hours of video, USB charge / data cable, Micro USB card reader & micro SD to SD card adaptor for easy file transferring, HDMI view and playback cable, AC power adapter, Car power Adapter, safety leash.

Replay XD’s years of motorsports and specialty manufacturing experience also inspired the most complete line of optional Pro Mounts, billet aluminum tubular chassis mounts, helmet mounts, single and multi-camera suction cup mounts, skateboard mounts, magnet & gun mounts. Replay XD is constantly engineering ways to make mounting and using Replay XD cameras even more effortless.

"We wanted to design a camera that can go places other cameras can't," says Replay XD President, John Spar, " Whether you're bombing down the mountain, or setting a fast lap, your Replay XD1080 will always get a solid shot in perfect High Def clarity. The new Replay XD1080 offers even more freedom to capture the action exactly how it happens."

Replay XD was designed by a group of racing professionals with over 50 years of experience in the high performance racing industry. The development team saw the need for ultra-lightweight cameras that could capture never before seen video footage from the most extreme racing and action environments on earth. The Replay XD1080 has been put through the most grueling conditions possible and has come out unscathed with crystal clear footage. Replay XD's goal is to bring you the most technologically advanced recording systems available today. Replay XD (805) 480-9800.

Paul Cronin June 14th, 2011 09:04 AM

Re: New POV camera: Replay XD1080

Thanks Bernd,

Another player in the 1080 HD POV game is good for the customers. Looks like a nice tough little unit I will have to give one a try along with my Coutour and GoPro options.

The lower distortion will be nice to cut to instead of fisheye all the time.

Eugen Oprina June 14th, 2011 12:12 PM

It would be nice if is much more sensitive than the gopro. Besides the hdmi out which is great for nanoflash recording it would be great if we can use it for interior shooting. I have searched their site in this respect and there is no info :(

Paul Cronin June 15th, 2011 08:15 AM

Eugen I agree more sensitive would be nice but for $299 I do think it is going to be much better.

Dylan Couper June 15th, 2011 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eugen Oprina (Post 1658348)
It would be nice if is much more sensitive than the gopro. Besides the hdmi out which is great for nanoflash recording it would be great if we can use it for interior shooting. I have searched their site in this respect and there is no info :(

Agreed. That would be #1. However, I'd settle for less Jello Wobble than the GoPro has,

Eugen Oprina June 15th, 2011 03:19 PM

Yes Paul, you are right :(
I'd pay double or triple for 320 ASA :) and for times more for an sdi output :)))
Hope so Dylan.

Dylan Couper June 15th, 2011 03:40 PM

I'd also pay double for something with better low light quality and less Jello. I think they missed that opportunity when designing this....

Bernd Eller June 25th, 2011 05:49 AM

Correction: HDMI out not uncompressed

It took Replay quite a time to answer my questions but yesterday I finally got the information that the HDMI output is NOT uncompressed (as stated in the press release), but only H.264 in one of three possible bitrates: low, medium or high. So using a ProRes recorder to get a much better picture quality out of the XD1080 will unfortunately not be an option.

Phil Stone June 26th, 2011 01:02 PM

Dam shame I placed a order on that,

Radek Volf June 27th, 2011 09:32 AM

It's nice camera but can I expect PAL 25p for EU countries? Maybe synchronisation for 3D work would be great.

Robert Turchick June 27th, 2011 12:14 PM

Two things that prompted me to buy...hdmi out so I can frame the shot...and replaceable lens option!
Also, looking through the demos, i don't see as much jello as I have with Gopro and contour. I think the light weight is part of that as it doesn't have as much leverage to make the mounts wobble. We will see as I have a summer full of fun aircraft at the air museum that needs to be documented!
Plus my Ducati has been begging me to do a short video!

Bernd Eller June 27th, 2011 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radek Volf (Post 1662082)
can I expect PAL 25p for EU countries?

Being in PAL country myself, I asked that too and got the answer that the XD1080 has a "NTSC and PAL option", but I am not sure - and Replay didn't bother to explain - what this exactly is. Up to now at least there is only 30p/60p mentioned in the specs. I guess we have to wait for the first field tests till we know what this camera can deliver or not.

Bernd Eller June 30th, 2011 01:05 AM

Correction again: HDMI out is uncompressed!

Good news, folks: I just received another e-mail by Replay clearing up the confusion around the XD1080. These are the most important things:

1. The HDMI out is uncompressed indeed, only the files saved on card will be H.264. So the first press release was correct and an external recorder can be used.

2. The maximum bitrate for card recording has been tuned now to 15 Mbit/s.

3. PAL and NTSC are supported out of the box: The XD1080 can shoot in 25/50 as well as in 30/60.

Robert Turchick June 30th, 2011 08:35 AM

My pair will be here Friday. Confirmed the hdmi out is suitable for recording. There's a couple of inexpensive portable hdmi recorders that aren't terribly expensive. The Atomos ninja is one (like that it has the monitor built in) and the other is this which looks very interesting!

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/766053-REG/Blackmagic_Design_HYPERD_PT_HyperDeck_Shuttle_Video_Recorder.html
Gonna play with the cameras this weekend then consider a recorder. Report soon!

Prech Marton June 30th, 2011 11:17 AM

If i place two of them side by side, i can get the same 3D result
like with gopros, or the gopros 3D housing is better in synchronisation?
I like the not so distrorted picture of replays.
And i can use filters in 37mm diameter?