DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Digital Video Industry News (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/)
-   -   Panasonic introduces AG-AC7PJ camcorder (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/497249-panasonic-introduces-ag-ac7pj-camcorder.html)

Chris Hurd June 16th, 2011 08:50 AM

Panasonic introduces AG-AC7PJ camcorder

1 Attachment(s)
Read the press release here:

Panasonic Introduces AG-AC7PJ Camcorder at DVInfo.net

Rick Presas June 16th, 2011 11:29 AM

Re: Panasonic introduces AG-AC7PJ camcorder

I really want one. I wish they had specified available frame rates, but I'm guessing it'll be the same as the HMC-80 before it.

Ken Hull June 16th, 2011 03:28 PM

This sounds like it's considerably LESS of a camcorder than the HMC80. Single sensor (slightly less than 1/4 inch), no XLR inputs. and no mention of manual audio level control.

Steve Struthers June 16th, 2011 04:37 PM

This looks like it's basically a replacement for the old DVC-20, which, if memory serves, has a 1/6" sensor. So I suppose the inclusion of a 1/4" sensor constitutes an upgrade... of sorts. And with the capability to take 2.1 megapixel stills, no 24p, no 30p modes, this camera seems like a throwback. Kinda makes me wonder why anyone would buy one when, for $300.00 less, give or take, one could buy a TM900 and get considerably more capability - even if it does come in a form factor that doesn't look 'professional'.

What are you thinking, Panasonic??

Bill Bruner June 18th, 2011 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Struthers (Post 1659023)
This looks like it's basically a replacement for the old DVC-20, which, if memory serves, has a 1/6" sensor

Steve,

More likely a replacement for the -- an old 3CCD 1/4" shoulder mount.

Quote:

....What are you thinking, Panasonic??
What they're thinking is that they're missing out on sales in the low-end shoulder mount market to the $1749 shoulder-mounted 1080i, 1/4" sensor, 12x zoom Sony HXR-MC2000U, which is sold out at Adorama and marked up $200 to $1950 at .

Many wedding shooters, community college broadcasting studies departments and other buyers with 'professional' aspirations don't care that the

is a better camcorder for less money. They're buying form-factor -- not image quality. And they will pay a premium for it. Panasonic and Sony know that.

Bill

Chris Hurd June 18th, 2011 10:46 PM

This camcorder is today's AG-456.

Steve Struthers June 19th, 2011 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd (Post 1659596)
This camcorder is today's AG-456.

Bingo!

Actually, the AG-450, the predecessor to the AG-456, wasn't a bad little camcorder in its day either. I checked out the link you provided and was quite surprised to see that old tech like the '456 is still being sold!!

John Dimasii July 12th, 2011 08:06 PM

Any idea if you can plug in a tripod arm remote lens/focus control for this cam?

Chris Hurd July 12th, 2011 08:53 PM

That's a good question, John. I'll try to find out.