DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Digital Video Industry News (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/)
-   -   CineSkates Compact Camera Sliders Deliver Fluid Video Shots (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/499903-cineskates-compact-camera-sliders-deliver-fluid-video-shots.html)

Chris Hurd August 23rd, 2011 08:36 AM

CineSkates Compact Camera Sliders Deliver Fluid Video Shots

Cinetics™ is launching a professional-grade yet lightweight camera slider, CineSkates™, which allows filmmakers to capture stable, high-resolution video footage without lugging heavy gear. CineSkates™ combines cutting-edge skateboard technology with the flexible GorillaPod Focus™ Tripod, allowing the amateur or seasoned filmmaker to achieve fluid camera movement in space-constrained environments where traditional camera sliders, dollies and cranes are too cumbersome.

For more info, read the full press release at CineSkates Compact Camera Sliders Deliver Fluid Video Shots at DVInfo.net

Justin Jensen August 23rd, 2011 12:10 PM

Re: CineSkates Compact Camera Sliders Deliver Fluid Video Shots

Thanks for sharing CineSkates with the community! I can't wait to hear some feedback, and to see what DVINFOers shoot with CineSkates. Also, here is a link to the Kickstarter page - CineSkates Camera Sliders by Justin Jensen — Kickstarter

Mario Vermunt August 24th, 2011 02:04 AM

Great job Justin, compact and flexible. Just what I like. I have backed your project - of course.

Justin Jensen August 24th, 2011 07:53 AM

Thank you for the feedback, Mario! So happy that you like it. And THANK YOU for backing the project!

Andrew Smith August 24th, 2011 09:03 AM

Brilliant, and these really tick the box in terms of fulfilling a need.

Can't see this one not happening. It's one of those "of course!" inventions.

Andrew

PS. Thanks for bringing this to our attention, Mr Hurd. :-)

Mario Vermunt August 24th, 2011 12:48 PM

Wow, one or two backers and you are ready to roll. Congratulations. I am looking forward to receiving mine.

Andrew Smith August 24th, 2011 01:01 PM

I'd love to jump in now, but I'm spending a heap of money at the moment. Wish I could get in on the current pricing but purchase a little later. Dang it.

Andrew

Zach Love August 24th, 2011 04:18 PM

Congrats on all the funding, looks like you've gotten a lot of supporters in the last 24 hours.

Because I can't depend on smooth surfaces where I'm shooting, I'd love to see a version 2 that is quickly changeable to roll on PVC pipes.

Justin Jensen August 24th, 2011 04:46 PM

Thanks for the comments! Pretty amazing that we passed the Kickstarter goal that quickly. Hopefully people will keep preordering :)

Zach, great suggestion on the PVC rolling attachment. Great simple idea. Is there a standard diameter PVC pipe that is used in the film industry? Thanks!!

Chris Hurd August 24th, 2011 07:06 PM

Congrats Justin for achieving your funding goal so quickly -- it was practically overnight!

Plus, getting picked up on TechCrunch doesn't hurt either... CineSkates: Roller Skates For Your Camera | TechCrunch

Ken Plotin August 24th, 2011 09:27 PM

Justin,
Congratulations on your new product.
The PVC diameters that are commonly used on indie productions are 1" or 1 1/4" heavy walled PVC.
"Regular" budgets generally use steel/aluminum dolly track (much heavier camera and dolly packages).

I use the 1 1/4" stuff with my home built tripod dolly. Works fine with light loads.
Hope this helps.
Ken

Ray Bell August 25th, 2011 07:12 AM

Justin, Great idea.. I can't wait to try it out... for those that do not have this version of the Gorilla tripod, it is the " PRO " version... very well made, of metal... holds quite abit of weight... looks like Justins project is a great match for the tripod....

Andrew Smith August 25th, 2011 07:27 AM

Hi Justin,

I've just realised (now that I look at the video again) that it's a stills camera doing video that is being used. Will be have an adapter thinggy for a video camera such as a Sony V1?

Andrew

Zach Love August 25th, 2011 02:23 PM

Andrew Smith,

If I understand your question... still cameras use the same 1/4" tripod attachment that video cameras use. So as long as the Gorilla Pod & small ball head can take the weight of your camera, you can use any type of camera.

As long as you're not putting a lot of accessories on your Sony HVR-V1U, you should be fine. Joby rates their gorillapod focus & ballhead X both to 5kg / 11lbs. Should be more than enough for event a EX1 with a LED light ontop.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin Jensen (Post 1677390)
Zach, great suggestion on the PVC rolling attachment. Great simple idea. Is there a standard diameter PVC pipe that is used in the film industry? Thanks!!

I'm not sure what the "industry" uses, but I'd say something that is easily found in hardware stores around the globe.

I'd think for the weight of the cameras this is targeted at, having it adjustable from 1/4" to 1" pipe would be enough. That way whatever people find close to them for sale would be useable.

3" PVC pipe would probably be able to hold more weight than the gorillapod, so things would start getting moot (assumption, please no one hold me to this).

Hopefully it isn't too difficult to figure out wheels that would have a range of acceptance.

I'm still shocked that the kickstarter went from $600 to $20,000 to just under $50,000 every 24 hours I check it. Congrats!

Nicholas de Kock August 26th, 2011 04:51 AM

Looks amazing! Do you think this will support a Manfrotto 701HDV with 60D?