DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Digital Video Industry News (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/)
-   -   Sad Kodak moment. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/501211-sad-kodak-moment.html)

Allan Black October 1st, 2011 05:42 PM

Sad Kodak moment.

Here's a terribly sad Kodak moment ..

Kodak bankruptcy and restructuring rumors send stock falling - Sep. 30, 2011

No cheers.

Zach Love October 2nd, 2011 03:59 PM

Re: Sad Kodak moment.

Well their stock has gone down 97% in the last 5 years, so things don't seem too surprising. My hope is that there is still enough hobby folks out there to keep at least one film factory alive. I'd hate it if I couldn't buy & develop B&W film in my basement 50 years from now.

Brian Drysdale October 2nd, 2011 04:50 PM

I gather the motion picture division is in profit.

B & W film isn't a problem, there are a number of other companies manufacturing it, colour film is more complex.

Rather imteresting that Bryce E. Bayer worked for Eastman Kodak, so something seems to have been lost along the way

Mark Kenfield October 2nd, 2011 05:29 PM

I seem to recall that Kodak invented digital photography (is that right?), it's a shame they didn't embrace it as the future of their business, I'm sure they'd still be right up there if they had.

Brian Drysdale October 3rd, 2011 12:43 AM

Kodak is involved in a number of areas, including digital imaging.

Innovation

Kodak Image Sensor Solutions - CMOS, CCD, full frame, interline, linear image sensors

David Chilson October 3rd, 2011 06:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Kenfield (Post 1686010)
I seem to recall that Kodak invented digital photography (is that right?), it's a shame they didn't embrace it as the future of their business, I'm sure they'd still be right up there if they had.

Yes, Steve Sasson invented the digital camera at Kodak in 1975. For those of us that live in Kodak's home town the impact of their employment going from 60,000 plus in the early eighties to the 7000 who are currently employed locally has been devastating. What will happen over the next couple of months nobody really knows. Yes, it's a sad Kodak moment.

Jason Lowe October 3rd, 2011 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Drysdale (Post 1686003)
I gather the motion picture division is in profit.

I doubt it, with digital projection taking off in the last couple of years.

Sad to see them go. I had high hopes for their ink jet printers, considering they weren't mugging people for ink like the other guys, but they just never seemed to get their act together.

Brian Drysdale October 3rd, 2011 10:16 AM

The majority of screens are still film projection, although it does vary from country to country. There has been a lot of growth, but a major problem has been funding the fitting of digital projection equipment. I gather the US is on track for 50% digital in the coming years.

In the end, the longer term progression is towards the digital projection and film will become more an acquisition medium than a distribution one.

I expect the company will exist in some form or other, even if broken up.

D.J. Ammons October 4th, 2011 10:16 AM

It is a shame that such an iconic company when it comes to photography did not move faster and better to make the transition to digital imaging. I hope Kodak survives and finds a way to prosper.

Monty Wentzel October 5th, 2011 04:35 PM

Yeah very sad. Many memories of Kodak from childhood, all good. Don't tell me they got some young punk to drive it into the ground?

Monty

Rick Presas October 24th, 2011 01:09 PM

Sad day indeed. Still inevitable, though.

Bruce Watson October 24th, 2011 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D.J. Ammons (Post 1686328)
It is a shame that such an iconic company when it comes to photography did not move faster and better to make the transition to digital imaging. I hope Kodak survives and finds a way to prosper.

You're kidding, right? Kodak *invented* the digital camera. Kodak engineer Steven Sessions built the very first digital camera in 1975. Kodak has been a major supplier of digital imaging chips from the very beginning.

I too hope they find a way to survive and prosper. But their film business isn't going to survive, that much is practically guaranteed. And Kodak's own success in digital imaging is part of the reason why. Serious irony, that.

Allan Black November 4th, 2011 03:10 AM

In the middle of all the Nov 3/4 hoopla, this popped up ....

Addressing the Rumors

Cheers.

Jacques Mersereau November 4th, 2011 11:27 AM

Sorry for my cranky mood, but still - Kodak bankruptcy is a result of poor leadership and denial. I mean, come on. With the right leader, the company could have re-invented itself years ago and been prepared for the demise of film. Maybe they still can, but ... now that the ship is going under is not a good time to try and do something different - ala - invest in digital sensors, processing and hardware.

I feel sorry for all those loyal employees who suck with the titanic and didn't jump even though it was clear kodak was headed right into an iceberg.

A sad day, but the lesson is, adapt to changing conditions or die. Same is for Kodak as it is for humans.

Konrad Haskins November 6th, 2011 01:24 PM

Very sad but not surprising. I'm gobsmacked that a technology company still thinks it's OK to have a white shirt and tie dress code when they are competing in the technology field. The execs stood out like sore thumbs as they walked around down town Rochester when I was there last year. Even IBM abandoned that idea.