DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Digital Video Industry News (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/)
-   -   canon 4k dslr announced (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/502311-canon-4k-dslr-announced.html)

Shaun Roemich November 3rd, 2011 07:31 PM

canon 4k dslr announced

Canon has a new 'EOS Movies' DSLR on the way too: 4K video, 35mm full frame sensor -- Engadget

Shaun Roemich November 3rd, 2011 07:32 PM

Re: canon 4k dslr announced

Given the disappointment around the C100 announcement, I'm surprised this isn't a hour topic of discussion right now..

Shaun Roemich November 3rd, 2011 07:33 PM

PS. Waiting for the first mention of the term "game changer"...

Jacques Mersereau November 3rd, 2011 08:18 PM

Game changer? Hmm. Well, as was coined on another list,
Today (before the announcement) we bitch, moan and flame.
After, we bitch moan and flame.

I guess he knew what was coming from Canon.
and yes, I will now bitch, moan and flame.

Bitch:
No 4K.
No 1080P@60.
No 4:4:4.
No RAW.
No global shutter

Moan:
50mbps?

Flame
$16K?!!! Maybe if the lens is as good as a Cooke or DP Rouge (yeah, right).

THREE YEARS AGO WHEN ASKED, had it been delivered it would have been a game changer.
Now its a flame maker, and believe me, I hope I am SO WRONG that I am flamed to a cinder.

Shaun Roemich November 3rd, 2011 08:21 PM

Jacques: this link is to the dslr style yet-unnamed 4k camera, not the much lamented C300

Jacques Mersereau November 3rd, 2011 08:23 PM

There's a difference? Oh yeah, $12.5K.

Sorry - ;-(

Steve Kalle November 3rd, 2011 11:23 PM

Isn't Motion-JPEG *only* 8 bit? So, 4k at 8bit for cinema applications is useless. Plus, it won't have SDI out which is needed for cine related shooting.

Shaun Roemich November 4th, 2011 08:43 AM

I would respectfully suggest that at this point, finding focus more frequently is more of a consideration for digital cinema production at this market level than 8 bit versus 10 bit. Have you watched much Indy cinema shot on dslrs on a BIG screen? User proficiency is more often than not the limiting factor right now, at least in my market. I'd rather see a bit of 8 bit dithering than a film that is over 50% out of focus.

I'm not a Canon fanboy in the least but to dismiss a shallow depth of field 4k cinema capable camera at what I expect the price point to be seems short sighted.

Plus, it is a marketing edge for wedding, event and corporate shooters.

Bottom line, if it doesn't work for you, don't buy it but I am very curious to see what it is capable of when it is no longer vapour ware...

Glen Vandermolen November 4th, 2011 09:00 AM

Canon states that this camera is more "cinematographic." Does this mean it will have less moire and aliasing problems? More video friendly?
If so, this could be the cheap - or rather, cheaper - 4K camera many were hoping for.

Brian Drysdale November 4th, 2011 09:04 AM

A number of cinema feature films have been shot using 8 bit, to get distribution that's the least of your worries and there are now petty of camera options for cinema release productions, so you don't need to use this particular camera for those. You pick the right tool for the job.

Dylan Couper November 4th, 2011 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Kalle (Post 1693978)
Isn't Motion-JPEG *only* 8 bit? So, 4k at 8bit for cinema applications is useless. Plus, it won't have SDI out which is needed for cine related shooting.

Clean HDMI out would be a possible good substitute for SDI out. If it doesn't have clean HDMI... argh.

Lawrence Bansbach November 4th, 2011 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Kalle (Post 1693978)

If it is indeed M-JPEG, which is an antiquated format, and not the more likely M-JPEG2000, which like RedCode is wavelet based. I believe that M-JPEG2000 supports up to 16-bit encoding.

Charlton Chars December 31st, 2011 01:01 AM

I'm quite interested in this, for the smallish (compared to Red etc) form factor and the 4K.