Ikegami XYZ camera at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old November 17th, 2011, 12:39 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Ikegami XYZ camera

Yesterday, I attended a technical talk that mentioned the XYZ camera from Ikegami. Rather than use RGB color filters, the XYZ camera captures the entire gamut - 100% of the colors available to the human eye.

Here's a translation of the Ikegami page: Google Translate

I saw some test results, and the camera truly captured colors right at the curved ring of the CIE color chart with very small errors compared to those of RGB cameras. In fact, right in the middle of the chart, RGB cams can have extreme color errors, while the XYZ cam was nearly spot on.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...srgb_gamut.png

According to the speaker, the camera is 10-bits linear and it has a fair amount of noise, so it's not going to shoot blockbuster films just yet. But it can capture amazingly accurate colors. For some applications (art, textiles, manufacturing, etc), color accuracy is critically important.

In the same talk, they showed the benefits of adding additional colors to RGB displays to extend the gamut. Again, the results are impressive.

The problem with RGB is that you need negative values to create all of the colors perceivable by the human eye. A filter that sucks green out of the environment has yet to be invented. ;) XYZ filters for displays would have terrible light efficiency. Therefore, additional primaries are the solution for wide gamut displays.

DCI (Digital Cinema Initiative) already stores video in the XYZ colorspace. I wonder how long it will be before we have cameras and displays that can make full use of it.
Old November 17th, 2011, 02:16 PM   #2
Wrangler

Re: Ikegami XYZ camera

When I read the title, I was going to say "at least I'll never complain about how bad Sony/Panny/Canon are about naming their cameras!" :)
Old November 17th, 2011, 04:58 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Maybe they'll give it the brand name, "zylophonz". ;)

Under any name, it's impressive. Today, you simply can't take a photo of a beach in Tahiti and faithfully represent all the hues. With this camera, we get very close to that possibility.
Old November 18th, 2011, 07:54 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Accurate color from the camera sensor is a huge step forward.
Old November 18th, 2011, 08:59 AM   #5
Major Player

Looks like an interesting idea. Gonna take a few years but I'd be interested to see how this develops.
Justin Molush is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News