DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Digital Video Industry News (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/)
-   -   Rode Introduces Two New Microphones – Built in Digital Recorder (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/504506-rode-introduces-two-new-microphones-built-digital-recorder.html)

Lee Mullen January 18th, 2012 06:52 AM

Rode Introduces Two New Microphones – Built in Digital Recorder

Nice.

Quote:

A new Stereo VideoMic Pro, and the VideoMic HD – worlds first ‘Digital Recorder Microphone‘. Say what?? Yes, Rode actually has a built in Digital Recorder inside their latest VideoMic HD that saves to MicroSD. Cray right? From the looks of it, I’m guessing this will save a copy of high quality audio to it’s built in Digital Recorder, and spit out a signal via 3.5mm for the DSLR to record. I think i’ll just let the Rode Press Release speak for the new products – below.

RØDE ANNOUNCES NEW STEREO VIDEOMIC PRO

ON-CAMERA Microphone
Tuesday January 17th 2012, Sydney Australia – RØDE Microphones is proud to announce the release of its latest on-camera microphone, the Stereo VideoMic Pro.

VMPS_oncamera_backVMPS_back_left

Building on the success of the VideoMic Pro, which launched in early 2011 and quickly became the defacto standard for DSLR on-camera audio, and RØDE’s original Stereo VideoMic, the new Stereo VideoMic Pro provides a high quality stereo option for videographers, and is ideal for recording music, and the atmospheric ambience essential in building a realistic audio scene.
Based around a matched pair of high sensitivity ½”cardioid condenser capsules in a coincident XY pair, the Stereo VideoMic Pro provides a wide stereo image with natural depth.

rode-videomic-stereo-polar-pattern

The Stereo VideoMic Pro builds on the feature set of the VideoMic Pro, with an ergonomic form factor perfectly suited to DSLR, consumer camcorders and large-sensor video cameras. The integrated shock mounting system provides superior isolation from vibration and mechanical noise that can otherwise degrade the recording quality. Additionally the lightweight yet robust multi-strand cable provides excellent acoustic decoupling from the camera and offers significantly lower noise transference than traditional audio cable.

VideoMic-Stereo

The user friendly designed rear of the microphone body features the power and equalisation controls, including a high pass filter at 75Hz which is designed to cut out the noise generated by air conditioning, traffic and other undesirable low frequency interference.

A -10dB PAD allows the user to reduce the sensitivity of the microphone, making it suitable for recording loud sound sources such as live music or at sporting events.

Like the VideoMic Pro, the Stereo VideoMic Pro features a +20dB level boost specifically designed to provide a higher quality signal with DSLR cameras. When activated, the typically low quality camera preamp level can be reduced, resulting in a lower noise floor and much clearer recording.

“The release of the Stereo VideoMic Pro reaffirms RØDE’s category ownership of the on-camera microphone, and gives yet another tool to filmmakers, content creators and musicians” commented Damien Wilson, RØDE Microphones’ Global Sales & Marketing Director. “The audio quality of this microphone really is outstanding, and I can’t wait to hear some of the great content our customers will create with it.“

The RØDE Stereo VideoMic Pro is shipping now. For more information please visit rodemic.com/svmp

THE WORLD’S FIRST DIGITAL RECORDER VIDEO MICROPHONE
Tuesday January 17th 2012, Sydney Australia – RØDE Microphones is extremely proud to announce the VideoMic HD, a high-fidelity, precision RF bias shotgun microphone with integrated digital recording, designed for use with DSLR and large-sensor video cameras.

VideoMic HD FrontVideoMic HD Left

The VideoMic HD’s audio DNA is directly inherited from RØDE’s flagship NTG3 professional shotgun microphone. Incorporating the same capsule and sharing much of the electronic design of the NTG3, the VideoMic HD is a true condenser super-cardioid shotgun microphone with RF bias technology. This makes it virtually immune to RF interference and condensation that can cause other condenser microphones to fail.

Continuing its history of innovation and ‘industry-firsts’ RØDE has incorporated a high quality digital recorder into the body of the VideoMic HD. This completely removes the requirement for a separate audio recorder, while still also providing throughput of the audio signal to the camera for a superior reference audio track.

File storage is via microSD card and a microUSB port is supplied for convenient file access and possible firmware updates.

VideoMic-HD-Digital-Recorder

An integrated headphone jack with level control allows users to monitor their recording in real-time, while a high contrast LCD display on the rear of the microphone provides visual metering as well as basic recording control.

Audio capture and output can be configured in a number of ways thanks to the microphone’s innovative output selection. In its default mode the VideoMic HD’s audio is recorded and outputted as a dual mono signal. When in ‘safety recording’ mode, the microphone captures and outputs the standard audio signal on the right channel and a -20dB attenuated signal on the left channel. In case of unexpected boosts in the audio the user has a safety backup channel of audio that can be referenced. A third output setting allows for dual mono audio capture and a balanced signal output using the optional RØDE VXLR 3.5mm to XLR adaptor.

rode-videomic-hd-digital-recorder

The VideoMic HD offers a 3.5mm mono line in that supports ‘plug in’ power, allowing for the connection of a secondary microphone such a lavalier or headset. The microphone’s fourth output mode allows the tracking of the line-in to one of the stereo channels, both on the on-board recorder and through the 3.5mm output jack.

The microphone body is constructed from rugged, lightweight die-cast aluminium and features a quick release cam lever for simple and secure mounting in any universally sized camera shoe mount.

Drawing on the design architecture of the award winning RØDE Blimp, the VideoMic HD features a unique windshield and suspension structure. The capsule and line tube are completely suspended inside the microphone, providing superior shock mounting and isolation from physical sound sources through the microphone body, and the outer geodesic structure provides strength while offering superior wind protection to foam windshields. A DeadCat VMHD furry windshield is supplied with the microphone to provide protection in high wind environments.

For more information and to register your interest to be notified when the microphone begins shipping, please visit rodemic.com/vmhd.
http://www.rodemic.com/vmhd

http://media.rodemic.com/images/vmhd...background.jpg

Quote:

Integrated digital recorder (microSDHC)

RF-bias, true condenser shotgun microphone
(based on RØDE NTG3 technology)

Line and Mic (mixer) inputs (with 'plug-in' power)

High level headphone amplifier for monitoring

Three-level High Pass Filter (0, 75Hz, 150Hz)

Integrated Blimp wind protection and shock mounting

Multi mode outputs
(Dual mono/split 0db and -10db for auto safety/dual mono + 20dB)

High frequency 'boost' switch for increased intelligibility at distance miking

Utra-lightweight metal casing

Quick release mounting system

Colin McDonald January 18th, 2012 08:22 AM

Re: Rode Introduces Two New Microphones – Built in Digital Recorder

The Stereo Videomic Pro:
Stereo Videomic Pro on-camera microphone

The NTG-3 long shotgun (now in black) is also now listed:
RDE Microphones - NTG8

Presumably it's OK to discuss these now that Rode has put details up.

John Vincent January 18th, 2012 08:35 AM

Any word on pricing?

Bill Koehler January 18th, 2012 08:43 AM

A couple links direct back to RODE...

RDE Microphones - RDE News

RDE Microphones - Stereo VideoMic Pro

Brett Sherman January 30th, 2012 08:21 AM

I figure it has to be at least $600 since it has a NTG-3 capsule. It would still be worth it for me, but maybe pricey for many users. I'm glad they didn't skimp on the quality of the microphone. The only thing I'm not sure is how to deal with it in an interview situation when I want the shotgun on the interview subject. Maybe long headphone and camera cable? Calibrate the meters on the DSLR so I can watch the levels? Of course to adjust, I'd have to run into the shot. But with 24-bit, I can probably keep the level low enough to avoid peaks.

Taky Cheung January 31st, 2012 11:58 AM

I got a note from RODE sales manager that the VideoMic HD will be around $299. That would be great news.

Robert Morane January 31st, 2012 12:53 PM

Let's hope you're right Taky, that would be a great news. I do think that Rode should provide the list price of the product with their Press Release.

Taky Cheung January 31st, 2012 12:57 PM

OH.. I read that email again. It looks like the MSPR for Stereo VideoMic PRO will be $299, not the videoMic HD. Sorry for the wrong info. If I hear anything about videomic HD, I will report =)

Taky Cheung January 31st, 2012 01:28 PM

Got email back from RODE. No pricing for VideoMic HD yet. It will be available in second half of 2012.

Sean Seah February 2nd, 2012 10:41 AM

the videomic HD is one great product!

Robert Morane April 3rd, 2012 06:20 PM

What is happening with the Videomic HD? Any new infos about price in the US and availability? Thanks!

Robert Morane July 19th, 2012 09:35 AM

What happen with this Videomic HD with integrated recorder? It sounded like a very interesting product but I've seen nothing since the announcement.

Taky Cheung July 19th, 2012 10:21 AM

I talked to RODE regional sales manager in April. He said VideoMic HD won't be available till end of this year. Pricing would be about $1K.

Robert Morane July 19th, 2012 12:07 PM

Thank you Taky. This one will be too expansive for me.

Lee Mullen July 20th, 2012 06:41 PM

Wow! Pricey! Aussie's love their money!