Kodak files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old January 19th, 2012, 07:31 AM   #1
Equal Opportunity Offender

Kodak files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy

Quote:
THE century-old US camera pioneer Eastman Kodak, which brought photography to the masses, filed for bankruptcy early today after years of failing to keep pace with the digital age.
Read more: here

I trust we all saw this coming. I'm sure there will be plenty of eulogies as well.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2012, 07:38 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Kodak files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy

Strange how these things run, they are one of the big pioneers in digital imaging.

I guess it could be like Xerox and computing, all the big ideas like icons and the mouse used by Apple and Microsoft were developed there, but they still do mostly printers.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2012, 04:10 PM   #3
Major Player

It seems that despite Kodak being the pioneers of many imaging technology, they had feet of clay when it came to product development.

Steve
Steve Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2012, 09:17 PM   #4
Trustee

According to people who worked there Kodak was never behind in product development or innovations. It's just that their management thought they could control the market at their own pace.

Sad day, indeed.
Old January 20th, 2012, 09:04 AM   #5
Major Player

Can't remember the guy's name, he was quite famous in the early 90s but what he taught back then was so true. Any business should be able to sense a business paradigm shift, those who are not able to recognize it will fail.

so true.....
Old January 20th, 2012, 03:48 PM   #6
New Boot

Perhaps now is a good time to buy that backup battery for my Kodak Zi8.
Old January 20th, 2012, 05:18 PM   #7
Inner Circle

If free enterprise is allowed to run it's course, Kodak could choose to emerge from bankruptcy.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 07:21 PM   #8
Major Player

I don't think anyone anticipated 15-20 years ago when the world was exclusively using film photography, how quickly digital cameras would supplant a technology that had been around for 150 years. When Kodak came out with digital cameras they were actually pretty popular and at one time they had a pretty good share of the market. But now, the digital camera market is convulsing due to the proliferation of smart phones. Maybe if Kodak had gotten into smartphones or pads they would be riding high.

On parallel note, I've worked for a few large corporations. There seems to be an impression with the public at large that most corporations are well organized and firing on all cylinders. Things couldn't be further from the truth. Most Large companies struggle with internal organization due to their size, become overly political, too much group-think, good ideas get watered down or not pushed to market because of an aversion to risk. I've seen it more than once where a good idea gets canned or diverted, watered down, maybe because some loudmouth dufus in a meeting who had a strong personality but was low on market or product knowledge steered a good idea into the drain and nobody in the meeting wanted to expend the energy to override them. I think the power of Apple was that Steve Jobs' personality was so strong that he was able to peel through the layers of the onion and ram through products with a vision as HE wanted them and ultimately he had good vision (not perfect, but usually got it right). It's evident that Kodak didn't have that kind of leadership.
Old January 21st, 2012, 03:45 AM   #9
Inner Circle

The economist as an article explaining how Fiji has been more successful in handling the drop of in the highly profitable film sales:

Technological change: The last Kodak moment? | The Economist
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2012, 11:37 AM   #10
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Drysdale View Post
The economist as an article explaining how Fiji has been more successful in handling the drop of in the highly profitable film sales:

Technological change: The last Kodak moment? | The Economist

Good reading. Thanks for posting.
Old February 11th, 2012, 10:15 AM   #11
Major Player

Kodak to shutter camera business | Reuters

Kodak just killed it's digital camera and pocket video production and scaled back further. I remember being in my first darkroom at age 15 and every guide, chemical and paper was kodak. The kodak professional photo guide was a must to own.
Don Parrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2012, 11:20 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Parrish View Post
Kodak to shutter camera business | Reuters

Kodak just killed it's digital camera and pocket video production and scaled back further. I remember being in my first darkroom at age 15 and every guide, chemical and paper was kodak. The kodak professional photo guide was a must to own.
With that, Kodak will no longer distribute its own branded digital cameras. Instead, the Kodak brand will be licensed to third parties who will do their own distribution. This is done in a similar fashion to the Kodak-branded blank optical media that's sold at Fry's.

Although to be honest, Kodak has not manufactured a digital camera on its own since the early 2000s. Around 2005, Kodak sold its camera manufacturing operations to Flextronics of Singapore. And the Kodak-branded media that's sold at Fry's are distributed by "KPS Media" (a company unrelated to Kodak), but the media itself is made primarily by Moser Baer of India (with some of its production also made by UmeDisk of Hong Kong).
Randall Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2012, 05:59 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Worse to come ..

At the Oscars, It's 'The Kodak Theater' No More | The Wrap Awards

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News