DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Digital Video Industry News (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/)
-   -   George Lucas retires (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/504587-george-lucas-retires.html)

Andrew Smith January 20th, 2012 10:57 AM

George Lucas retires

See: George Lucas to Retire from Producing Epic Movies - Forbes

Quote:

George Lucas, whose headstone will surely read, “I created Star Wars…and Greedo shot first,” has announced that he will be retiring from big-budget movies in order to make smaller art-house films. The decision came on the heels of the snub of his latest film, Red Tails (which opens on January 20), a movie that Lucas produced (for $58 million) and distributed (another $35 million) himself when studios wouldn’t finance a film with an all-black cast.
Well, close enough. He won't be doing the big business stuff now. Just the occasional artistic creation from here on.

Andrew

Konstantin Kovalev January 20th, 2012 12:00 PM

Re: George Lucas retires

No more blowing the budget of motion picture companies, eh? I don't find that a bad thing, perhaps it'll push Lucas to get off the gravy train and make good movies again.

Jon Fairhurst January 20th, 2012 12:34 PM

Hopefully, no "younglings" will be at risk in his future films.

Mark Goodsell January 20th, 2012 07:01 PM

No big suprise. He's talked about it for years in previous interviews and such. Does that mean no more Indiana Jones, or let Speilberg take the reins?

Don Bloom January 20th, 2012 10:19 PM

Well, he doesn't need the money, he's getting a bit older (aren't we all) his girlfriend is a knockout and quite wealthy on her own...Good for him. I wish I could "retire"!

Matt Sharp January 21st, 2012 12:04 AM

In the meantime he's also trying to expand Skywalker Ranch with a few sound stages. Residents Take On George Lucas Over Marin Construction Plans CBS San Francisco

Glen Vandermolen January 21st, 2012 07:50 AM

Does this mean no more Jar-Jar Binks?

Konstantin Kovalev January 21st, 2012 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst (Post 1710597)
Hopefully, no "younglings" will be at risk in his future films.

Quote:

Does this mean no more Jar-Jar Binks
Oh, haha, you guys just reminded me of these reviews of the Star Wars prequels.

Star Wars: Episode 1 – The Phantom Menace |
Star Wars: Episode II – Attack of the Clones |
Star Wars: Episode III – Revenge of the Sith |

Slightly NSFW, but completely worth watching.

Emmanuel Plakiotis January 22nd, 2012 01:02 AM

Lucas has retired as a film director a long time ago. His name is still around, because of his expertise on milking old cows :-)