DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Digital Video Industry News (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/)
-   -   £1m theft from CVP in the UK (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/505400-1m-theft-cvp-uk.html)

Mike Beckett February 20th, 2012 11:33 AM

£1m theft from CVP in the UK

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but here goes.

CVP blog & more Archives c£1M theft from CVP – PLEASE RE-TWEET!!

Creative Video in the UK have had a break in at their warehouse, with around £1 million of good stolen. It includes Sony and Canon camcorders along with other equipment.

They have a serial number search for this on their website. If anything "dodgy" turns up that may be from this, please let CVP or the police know.

Justin Molush February 20th, 2012 12:24 PM

Re: £1m theft from CVP in the UK

Wow - thats unreal... how did someone take that much equipment? Good luck to them finding the guys who did this...

Tom Bostick February 20th, 2012 02:56 PM

that is an insane amount of equipment, they must have a ton of vehicles to carry it off

Andy Wilkinson February 20th, 2012 03:10 PM

Wow! Makes the recent theft of Nikon D4s and D800s from a van in Dublin look like a little bit of pick pocketing. Hope they have insurance of some kind as it would be a great shame to loose such a well respected professional video retailer here in the UK.

Buba Kastorski February 21st, 2012 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Wilkinson (Post 1716169)
Hope they have insurance of some kind .

of course they do, how can you not have an insurance keeping in your warehouse £1mill of equipment?

Andy Wilkinson February 21st, 2012 10:32 AM

Not necessarily. I've worked in multinationals where very expensive things were not insured (in order to keep huge premiums manageable). It's about managing risk and benefits with costs.

Also, with my own insurance with what I'm doing now, I am still hit with 10% of the value of a say a camera loss (again to keep my premiums sensible).

Anyway, I'm considering buying a new Vinten tripod system from CVP, maybe, so I'll be doing my bit to help them with cash flow at this difficult time!

Mike Beckett February 21st, 2012 12:26 PM

Interesting point from Phil Baxter on their blog:

Quote:

We are fortunate that CVP is strong and can deal with the theft without business interruption, however our main concern is to try and mitigate our insurer’s potential losses and increased premiums for our sector by doing whatever we can to aid recovery of the stolen goods.
So it looks like maybe this sort of event could affect insurance premiums (premia?) for all dealers, which isn't good news for anyone.

Phil makes it clear that this doesn't pose a threat to CVP other than some temporary inconvenience with certain orders (I assume the C300s are like hens' teeth at the moment). Which is good, because they have to be the number one "goto" dealer for a lot of the UK broadcast industry, as well as a lot of amateur dabblers like myself.

Tony Davies-Patrick February 21st, 2012 06:52 PM

WOW! That's a lot to go missing in one go! I hope that they recover the goods.

J. Stephen McDonald February 21st, 2012 09:11 PM

Those stolen goods were probably packed into a container and shipped to a faraway place to be sold.

Ronald Jackson February 22nd, 2012 08:55 AM

CVP blog & more Archives c£1M theft from CVP – PLEASE RE-TWEET!!

Some very nice kit there! Insured CVP advise. Wonder where it'll end up? Most pros one imagine would ask a few questions about something at a bargain price and this out of league for most amateurs,

Ron

Noel Lising February 22nd, 2012 09:10 AM

This certainly dwarfs the $300K stolen from my previous employment. Insurance did cover the lost but it was a nightmare, we were scrambling to rent gear in the morning for a show happening in the evening.

The insurance company was trying to hit us with negligience, our crew drove from Toronto to Montreal, it was 2:00 am whent hey got there and rather than unload the truck, they decided to do it park the truck, sleep and plan to unload at 6:00 am instead. The thieves were brazen enough to tow the truck and clean it out some hundred meters away from the loading dock.

Brian Drysdale February 22nd, 2012 10:36 AM

I imagine it may end up in countries where they may not ask too many questions.