Canon USA introduces EOS-1D C Digital SLR camera featuring 4K - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old April 13th, 2012, 01:26 AM   #16
Trustee

Re: Canon USA introduces EOS-1D C Digital SLR camera featuring 4K

I'm with Robert...

It's a good time to be in the biz... It wasn't that long ago when cameras with a fraction of the resolution, cost 4 times as much. Never mind editing work stations...

My next purchase may just be the 5Dmk3, based on my current needs, and bang for the buck. But the C300 would fill 95% of my expected needs over the next 5 years. But the C500... well, damn...

It's nice too see Canon bringing out some great options. Especially knowing that the glass is compatible across all the bodies.
Old April 13th, 2012, 03:51 AM   #17
Inner Circle

It struck me that looking at Canon's line from the top, there are these modular DSLR/camcorder hybrids and then as you go down the line, they turn into DSLRs. Other than the XF30x, the Canon "video camera" line-up above $3k isn't camcorders but DSLRs: (5DM3, 1D-X, 1D-C).
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2012, 05:42 AM   #18
Major Player

Ever since Canon combined the DSLR and video folks into one, it seems the video contingent has been relegated to red-headed step child status. The Cinema types on here seem to LOVE this new business model and revel in the lower prices compared to what they are used to paying.

Canon put a red "C" on a $6800 camera, made a few internal changes and now it's $15,000? Now I know why it's taken the longest time in Canon history from announcement to delivery of the "X" version and why it was dumbed down. This 4K fever for 98% of us on here won't mean squat for years to come and even longer with the general public. Almost 50% of tv's sold are 720P. You think you needed a computer upgrade for AVCHD, wait until you try 4K.

I wouldn't pay $2000 for a proper video camera without XLR imputs, to me $15,000 (or whatever it happens to sell for) is absurd for a rebadged DSLR. For the select few that like this new business model, more power to you. For the rest of us we will wait until the real video people at Canon design a camera, if they haven't already been fired.
Old April 13th, 2012, 05:49 AM   #19
Obstreperous Rex

Well Dave, that certainly raised my eyebrows.

Refer to my reply to you last month: Canon USA Announces EOS 5D Mark III -- March 10th, 2012, 04:27 PM

... especially the first and last sentences there.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2012, 01:05 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Chilson View Post
This 4K fever for 98% of us on here won't mean squat for years to come and even longer with the general public. Almost 50% of tv's sold are 720P. You think you needed a computer upgrade for AVCHD, wait until you try 4K.
I see a big opportunity for 4k acquisition in a DSLR form factor for documentary filmmaking and news/journalism. The ability to shoot an interview with a single camera, lens, support equipment and operator and then cut between wide and close-up simply through cropping represents a huge potential savings in production costs. So the fact that we'd all be delivering 1080p or lower can actually be an argument for the benefits of acquiring in a higher resolution.
Old April 13th, 2012, 01:19 PM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Donn View Post
The ability to shoot an interview with a single camera, lens, support equipment and operator and then cut between wide and close-up simply through cropping represents a huge potential savings in production costs.
This is exactly my thinking, too -- with 4K I can be quite "generous" while framing my shots, and then in post zoom & crop the footage. This also suits the way I like to work -- shoot as linear as possible, and then do most of the work in post. So yes, I definitely welcome a 4K camera, pronto.

-- peer
Old April 13th, 2012, 02:39 PM   #22
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Chilson View Post

Canon put a red "C" on a $6800 camera, made a few internal changes and now it's $15,000?
I hope Canon people read that, though I imagine they'll enjoy reading it less than I did.
Old April 13th, 2012, 03:35 PM   #23
Inner Circle

I'm still trying to figure out why they called it a 1D. The body doesn't look like any 1D I've ever seen. There's an EVF, no LCD video display, and BNC connectors. Good luck finding the firmware update that can deliver that. :)

Just because it has "1D" in the name doesn't mean that it's almost exactly like a 1D X.
Old April 13th, 2012, 08:31 PM   #24
Major Player

Not too sure how a $15,000 camera with no lens or audio and a fixed screen translates into a "huge potential savings in production costs" especially when coupled with a computer to wrangle the 4K footage. Could somebody please explain to me how this would make a good form factor for documentaries and news gathering?

The only positive reason I see posted so far for 4K is framing!? “Ya, know boss, I have been having a little problem with framing. If you would spring for a couple 4K cameras and update the editing suites, you wouldn’t be all over my butt about that framing thing”. This is saving me HUGE in production costs?

This is still a DSLR camera that happens to shoot video and here’s a question. Do you think maybe the form factor is contributing to your framing problems?

How many photographers would spring for this? Zero would be my guess. This was aimed directly at the video crowd and I’m amazed at how many people bit. It could be very likely the first and most expensive Canon DSLR camera in history that never takes one photo.

For the love of god man could somebody at Canon at least TALK to those folks in the video camera division? If I’m going down, I’m going down swinging.
Old April 13th, 2012, 08:51 PM   #25
Major Player

I will say one thing... I bet the footage from this thing is gorgeous.

BUT... for 15k, you could be getting a LOT more for your money. I know if I was to spend that much, I would be looking at just about anything else as a much more complete video camera solution that functions more than a simple sensor box. Which is just about how this camera feels like to me.
Justin Molush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2012, 02:27 AM   #26
Major Player

Honestly, I mean this with all due humility - if you know how to shoot and light, 5DII footage looks gorgeous.

We've got and will keep shooting with two of them. I'm cutting my most recent project, all shot in 5DIIs and the quality continues to impress me. We have moire issues that mean anything on a rare occasion, and record audio separately as we alway have.

The only thing I would upgrade for right now, would be 1080p 60fps. Other than that, for 99% of the work being produced now and for the next few years, either 5D will continue to serve as a world class tool.

Even at $12k the 1D C is absurdly priced for what it offers as a film making tool.
Jim Giberti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2012, 04:07 AM   #27
Trustee

Canon video gear has always been overpriced. However, Canon DSLR gear (1100D to 5D) are at excellent price points for the features they offer. I believe marrying the video and stills departments was an excellent decision, considering the future. I'm not sure it has worked out very well for Canon so far, but of one thing I'm quite certain - Canon rarely disappoints on image quality, delivery and customer service.

Even though I think the 1DC to be an outrageously priced camera, Canon has really thought this through. Those who cannot afford a 4K pipeline shouldn't even be looking at this camera. In fact, if I have to shoot a 4K movie and all I could afford was a $15K camera, I'd still pick this weather-sealed DSLR and its 8-bit codec over a Red Scarlet. To me peace of mind is worth the extra 30% in price.

The only other company that comes close is Sony. What I'm eagerly waiting for is Panasonic's and JVC's reply to these announcements.
Old April 14th, 2012, 07:36 AM   #28
Major Player

I have the Canon EOS-1D X on pre-order and one of our favorite Pro videogear websites. Then Canon comes out and announce and almost identical camera except it can shoot native 4K!

I believe that's the only real difference! At least it appears to be the only difference in the side by side comparison which you can see at the link below:

Side by Side Comparison: Digital Photography Review

I guess it comes down to do you whether you want to pay $6700 street and stay at 1080p for your video movies or you want to pay $13500 street (my guestimate) and be able to shoot 4K videos native?

Yes I already have a digital 4K projector in my home theater. (Sony SRX-S105)
Douglas Call is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2012, 09:09 AM   #29
Trustee

Yes, Douglas, that's certainly a whole pile of money extra to have that higher resolution 4096 x 2160 (24 fps) inside the exact same body; although I expect those who MUST have 4K will part with their well-earned cash to have one.

I truly cannot understand why the EOS 1D-C is ONLY 24fps (which is mainly US & Japanese broadcast), because Europe mainly shoots in 25p for broadcast and do not mix it with 24p. Surely for that price they will bring out a 1D-C body able to use 25p at full rez? Without it, I doubt if many, including the BBC, will even entertain it.
Old April 14th, 2012, 11:04 AM   #30
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst View Post
Just because it has "1D" in the name doesn't mean that it's almost exactly like a 1D X.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Call View Post
I'm confused here -- are Jon and Douglas talking about different cameras..? Other than the 4K capability, I don't see much of a difference between the 1DX and the 1DC.

-- peer

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News