Lightworks release date - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old May 12th, 2013, 10:26 AM   #76
Major Player

Re: Release Lightworks NLE available

Came across this thread while looking for something that can use the .mxf files from my Canon XH100.

I've looked at the website, as well as reading on this forum, and I'm still not sure I've got an answer to the question of whether the free version will import my .mxf files. And from reading other threads on DVInfo.net, do I need to keep the file structure from the CF cards? I've just added the clip folders to the same folder on an external drive, as I didn't know I wasn't supposed to do that.

My editing needs are quite simple and straightforward, and I've been using premier elements for some years - I just don't need the extra features of expensive software. But the files from my newest camera are causing a problem.

Thanks
Old May 12th, 2013, 11:02 AM   #77
Inner Circle

With the current free version (11.0.3) you'll need to convert your files into a more friendly codec. The free version being more limited than the Pro version.

EyeFrame is the current favoured software. it was developed by members of the Lightworks Forum.

EyeFrame Converter | Easy convert to and from Lightworks

EyeFrame - easy convert video to and from Lightworks with time code, reel name and proxies

There's a tutorial video explaining how to use Eyeframe at these links.

The upcoming free11.1 version will transcode more of the codecs found on many consumer cameras.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2013, 03:05 PM   #78
Major Player

Thanks Brian - I'll take a closer look at it sometime this week.

it looks like I'm in for a steep learning curve as soon as I can find time to concentrate on it. I guess I might have had second thoughts about upgrading my camera (the Sony A1 for infra-red work) if I'd known about the different file format.
Old May 12th, 2013, 04:03 PM   #79
Inner Circle

Best way to learn Lightworks is to watch the videos and look at the guides. Don't try cut and pasting, use the bins in combination with the racks and play with it, there's a simple logic to it.

The EyeFrame seems to get around many of the codec limitations on the free version and makes life easier for people with less powerful computers.
Old May 16th, 2013, 01:54 AM   #80
Inner Circle

Re: Lightworks NLE available on Linux beta

The latest version of EyeFrame converter has Wine friendly menus.

EyeFrame Converter 1.7.6 with Wine friendly menus and key shortcuts and MediaInfo generation is out! | EyeFrame Converter

This should assist Linux users convert various codecs to Lightworks free ver. friendly ones. A full Linux version seems to be a work in progress by members of the Lightworks forum or at least on the wish list.

Last edited by Brian Drysdale; May 16th, 2013 at 08:30 AM.
Old May 16th, 2013, 03:19 PM   #81
Inner Circle

More Shark Byte tutorials have been added and the series (together with the original getting started basic videos) can now be accessed on the Lightworks web site.

Shark Bytes

There are now over 500,000 registered at the web site.
Old May 17th, 2013, 02:58 AM   #82
Inner Circle

The latest Lightworks beta 11.1k is available. This has improvements for native MP4/H.264 mov handling. New Lightworks Version 11.1.k Now Available as Public Beta

Their target date for the release 11.1 version is 28th May 2013, which will include the new EditShare Licensing (ELS). This means that Lightworks will no longer be using HASP, the cause of installation problems for a number of users.

Last edited by Brian Drysdale; May 17th, 2013 at 12:48 PM.
Old May 24th, 2013, 09:32 AM   #83
Inner Circle

The new public beta is 11.1L is available for testing. This has the new EditShare Licensing (ELS), which they hope will avoid the issues that HASP was causing for some people.

New Lightworks Version 11.1.l Now Available as Public Beta

To coincide with the upcoming new release and the new licensing Editshare are introducing for the first time "a 30 day Pro Trial license allowing users to experience the full power of Lightworks Pro". However, I'm not sure if this trial is just for the beta testers.

28th May remains the target date for the release 11.1.

Last edited by Brian Drysdale; May 25th, 2013 at 05:46 AM.
Old May 28th, 2013, 01:18 PM   #84
Inner Circle

Lightworks NLE version 11.1 for Win. available

The latest Lightworks version 11.1 for Windows is now released.

New Lightworks Release 11.1 Now Available To Download

Key features are native MP4/H.264 mov handling and the new EditShare Licensing Service (ELS). The latter overcoming problems that people had with HASP Licensing.

Lightworks v11.1 - New Features Overview http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHyRE...ature=youtu.be

There are two versions the Free and the Pro with an annual subscription. Also new is a 30 day free trial of the Pro version that's currently being offered with the Free version. 11.1 now also transcodes some consumer codecs for importing into the Free Versions, while the Pro version can edit them natively. 64 bit is only available in the Pro Version.

For Free version users EyeFrame developed by Lightwork's forum users, converts to Lightworks friendly codecs EyeFrame - easy convert video to and from Lightworks with time code, reel name and proxies

I gather version 11.2 is now on the stocks will feature 4k and is due out later in the year. The current version only handles RED in those larger resolutions. The target for the Mac version is IBC.

An interesting thing that's happening is editors using Lightworks in combination with other NLEs.

Last edited by Brian Drysdale; May 29th, 2013 at 02:22 AM.
Old May 30th, 2013, 10:46 AM   #85
Inner Circle

Re: Lightworks NLE version 11.1 for Win. available

The Lightworks free version is now available as 64 bit in 11.1.

Also new is the licensing for AVID DNxHD, which is now included in the installer in a locked state. It's now also available for purchase to use with the Linux beta.

Important Update About Lightworks
Old June 1st, 2013, 04:42 AM   #86
Major Player

A warning to anyone before you part with your money.
Before you buy the Pro version make sure that Lightworks does not crash your system.
It reminded me so much of Liquid (which was bought by Avid and was then scrapped) that got a bit carried away and bought the Pro version without checking that Lightworks was stable on my system.
Now I have spent £48 for Lightworks which crashes Windows XP every time I open it.
I cannot find any way of getting support from Lightworks and my post to the Lightworks forum has had no response after two days.
Old June 1st, 2013, 05:36 AM   #87
Inner Circle

Yes, it's a good idea to try out the Free version first

I don't know the cause of your problem. The Lightworks forum is usually very helpful, but with the new licensing system there's a bit of learning curve for the members now that it's out in the wild. Unfortunately, the developers etc tend not to be around the forum over the weekend to give support, so you may have to wait until Monday unless the members come up with a solution. However, I've had Lightworks people sorting out a drive problem on my computer and they're keen to find out what problems are out there, so that they can do a fix.

Lightworks does have another support method if you can't get the information or help you need on the forum: Report a problem

This is separate to having a support contract, which I'd assume is much more hands on..

EDIT It seems that someone has a similar problem to yours with a LTO and they suspect it's a Windows issue.

Last edited by Brian Drysdale; June 1st, 2013 at 07:20 AM.
Old June 1st, 2013, 08:23 AM   #88
Major Player

Thanks Brian
I had not found the report a problem link. Thank you. I will try that.
I posted the problem to the forum on Thursday morning. I was hoping to play with it this weekend so it is a bit frustrating not to be able to do that.
I really hope that I can get Lightworks to work because from what I have seen so far it looks like it could become my NLE of choice.
Liquid and Avid run on my system without any problems and the specification seems to meet the minimum requirements for Lightworks.
The windows screen that comes up after each crash implies that it is newly installed hardware of software that is causing the problem and says to speak to the developers.
Old June 1st, 2013, 09:19 AM   #89
Inner Circle

Quite a few people on the Lightworks forum use Windows XP, so it could be a conflict somewhere in your computer.
Old June 1st, 2013, 10:10 AM   #90
Regular Crew

I normally use CS6 but I don't like the idea of renting software in the future so I was looking for a possible alternative. I have had a similar problem with frequent crashing on opening with Win 8, fortunately using the free version. When it was working, I found it unintuitive to use. Frankly is it worth the hassle? Should I persevere?
Guy Caplin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News