DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Digital Video Industry News (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/)
-   -   Zacuto Shootout 2012 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/507724-zacuto-shootout-2012-a.html)

Brian Drysdale May 12th, 2012 12:48 AM

Zacuto Shootout 2012

There's another Zacuto Shootout. Less DSLRs, only 7D and GH2 in that bracket, the other cameras cover a board budget range.

Revenge Of The Great Camera Shootout 2012 | Zacuto USA

Nicholas de Kock May 12th, 2012 12:51 AM

Re: Zacuto Shootout 2012

Seriously the 7D again? Why not the 5DIII?

Les Wilson May 12th, 2012 09:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Only two little 3 minute episodes basically content free. Nice lighting on Steve Weiss but I found the composition unpleasant. Hard to believe it wasn't intentional. Hopefully nicely shot and full of content episodes will follow.

Michael Kraus May 12th, 2012 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Les Wilson (Post 1732922)
Only two little 3 minute episodes basically content free. Nice lighting on Steve Weiss but I found the composition unpleasant. Hard to believe it wasn't intentional. Hopefully nicely shot and full of content episodes will follow.

I believe the deletion of lead room is a trendy thing to do these days. Hopefully it will end soon and people will start using it as a narrative tool again rather than as a hipster-esque statement of feigned individualism.

Stewart Hemley May 12th, 2012 10:13 AM

Agreed!

Hoping also they will only crush blacks, use weird colours, limit DOF, slow it down/speed it up, etc, etc, when artistically necessary for the narrative. But I suspect I may be wise not to hold my breath...

Jack Zhang May 12th, 2012 12:46 PM

Just from a critical technical standpoint, the 2nd part was edited in 29.97. 23.98 should be what the videos from now onwards need to be edited at.

Lee Mullen May 16th, 2012 10:06 PM

Where is this shootout, seems to be the guys waffling on about the set ting up?

Jack Zhang May 16th, 2012 10:18 PM

These are production diaries created as production is commenced. They're teasers to the final videos that will eventually be released. Those will have the tests and will have more production value thrown into it.

Brian Drysdale August 12th, 2012 03:02 AM

Just a word of warning, I gather this shoot out involved relights and different post workflows for each camera. So it does involve more comparing DPs rather than comparing cameras under the same test lighting set up.

Lee Berger August 12th, 2012 04:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Les Wilson (Post 1732922)
Weiss but I found the composition unpleasant. Hard to believe it wasn't intentional.

When I was in school, I was taught that this was the composition you used when you want the audience to expect that something bad is going to happen, eg. the killer is about to strike from behind.

D.J. Ammons August 13th, 2012 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Drysdale (Post 1748086)
Just a word of warning, I gather this shoot out involved relights and different post workflows for each camera. So it does involve more comparing DPs rather than comparing cameras under the same test lighting set up.

My understanding is that the part 3 of the shootout which has not been released yet is testing the cameras under the same lighting conditions vs part 2 where each camera operator was able to light for their camera.

Lee Mullen August 14th, 2012 03:33 AM

Why is it taking so long??

Nigel Barker August 15th, 2012 04:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jalan Salur (Post 1748364)
Why is it taking so long??

To keep you coming back to the Zacuto website.

Brian Drysdale August 17th, 2012 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D.J. Ammons (Post 1748254)
My understanding is that the part 3 of the shootout which has not been released yet is testing the cameras under the same lighting conditions vs part 2 where each camera operator was able to light for their camera.

Hopefully it will resolve any possible confusing conclusions as outlined here: ProVideo Coalition.com: Stunning Good Looks by Art Adams

Nigel Barker August 17th, 2012 04:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Drysdale (Post 1748805)
Hopefully it will resolve any possible confusing conclusions as outlined here: ProVideo Coalition.com: Stunning Good Looks by Art Adams

I agree with that article 100% As someone who was trained in a scientific discipline & then spent part of my career doing benchmarking & performance tests on computers it irritates the hell out of me how unscientific these tests have been & how unquestioning of the results people are.

I am even more irritated by the similar mindset of the GH2 fan boys who post a video that is "awesome" then ascribe that awesomeness to some stupidly high bit-rate hack without any point of reference or proof that the hack had anything to do with the image quality.

A recent example of this same class of stupidity was a couple of idiots removing the optical anti-aliasing filter on his 5D3 then claiming with zero proof that it improved the image quality. This was then all whipped up into a frenzy on the Internet forums by the wishful thinking of people uncritically believing the nonsense.