DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Digital Video Industry News (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/)
-   -   James Bond's Skyfall is yet another digitally-shot film (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/507977-james-bonds-skyfall-yet-another-digitally-shot-film.html)

Heath McKnight May 23rd, 2012 08:42 AM

James Bond's Skyfall is yet another digitally-shot film

Skyfall Joins The Growing List Of Features Shot Digitally

Between the Alexa and RED EPIC (and DSLRs, etc.), more and more major films are going digital. What George Lucas predicted/hoped for in that 1996 Wired interview, predominantly digital acquisition and distribution, is finally happening.

Heath

Glen Vandermolen May 23rd, 2012 03:11 PM

Re: James Bond's Skyfall is yet another digitally-shot film

And it's about time, too.

Allan Black May 23rd, 2012 05:52 PM

To keep the 'film' buffs happy during the cross over, there should be a couple of years where all digital features show 2 film projector change cues,
every ten minutes in the top right side of the screen. Keep me happy for a start ;0

I'd love to work on the Ian Fleming feature, I have an original copy of the book, it's a great read. Duncan Jones To Direct Fleming Biopic

Hey! Shaun Connery could play Fleming .. cool huh.

Cheers.

Robert Sanders May 23rd, 2012 06:14 PM

When Roger Deakins says he'll probably not shoot film again.... that says something.

Tom Bostick May 25th, 2012 12:26 PM

link is dead

Evan Donn May 25th, 2012 05:11 PM

Quote:

link is dead
Just like film...

Allan Black May 25th, 2012 05:37 PM

Here's some new Skyfall links ..

skyfall | Screen Rant

Duncan Jones to Direct Ian Fleming Biopic | Screen Rant

Roger Deakins has his own website ..

Roger Deakins, ASC, BSC • View topic - Bond 23

Cheers.

Brian Drysdale May 26th, 2012 02:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evan Donn (Post 1735035)
Just like film...

It's certainly becoming more boutique, but that doesn't mean dead. Although, the means of distribution are moving totally to digital.

Peter Corbett May 26th, 2012 07:16 AM

I was lucky enough to be on the Pinewood set of Skyfall last month, and the producer said it was the first all-digital Bond. They had Alexa's eveywhere on multiple units. Looking foward to seeing the end result.

Graeme Sutherland May 27th, 2012 01:08 PM

I saw a comment earlier, I think at the LA Times, that the Dark Knight Rises is the only one of this summer's tentpole movies that's been shot digitally.

Allan Black May 27th, 2012 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Corbett (Post 1735093)
I was lucky enough to be on the Pinewood set of Skyfall last month, and the producer said it was the first all-digital Bond. They had Alexa's eveywhere on multiple units. Looking foward to seeing the end result.

That's one of the real advantages of shooting big features digitally, there's no film processing costs, that translates to more digi cameras shooting each scene from various angles. And you can try many more different things, not to mention an editing rig set up right on the set.

The director of the the digitally shot Oz film 'Red Dog' made those points in an interview.
Also the producers of the UK TV series 'Doc Martin' use that process, not more cameras, but they edit on the set.

The whole things changing folks, maybe the next big thing will be digitally written scripts.
Hey how about that!, you enter your cast list, a full description of each character, then either Drama, Comedy, Love Story, etc ..
the mind boggles :)

Cheers.

Glen Vandermolen May 27th, 2012 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graeme Sutherland (Post 1735241)
I saw a comment earlier, I think at the LA Times, that the Dark Knight Rises is the only one of this summer's tentpole movies that's been shot digitally.

Don't you mean TDKR is the only one NOT shot digitally?

Ryan Jones May 28th, 2012 01:36 AM

Isn't TDKR shot in IMAX just like The Dark Knight? Except that this time they're aiming to shoot the entire film in IMAX, instead of just the action scenes?

Robert Sanders May 30th, 2012 01:12 PM

TDKR is still a mixture of anamorphic 35mm and IMAX. The ratio of IMAX is bigger this time. So fidelity will still change mid-sequence (which annoys me).

Jonathan Shaw June 3rd, 2012 09:16 PM

It's funny I saw a post from Jim Jannard that if Peter Jackson had shot the Hobbit on film they would have equivalent of 4 million feet of film. Imagine the processing costs alone of that....

Images from Alexa do just look beautiful, looking forward to this one