Omnivision introduces 16 megapixel cell phone camera module with 4K 60fps! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old May 24th, 2012, 03:56 PM   #1
Major Player

Omnivision introduces 16 megapixel cell phone camera module with 4K 60fps!

Wow!

Quote:
OmniVision Launches 16-Megapixel CameraChip™ Sensors For DSC/DVC and High-End Smartphone Applications

OV16820 and OV16825 Provide 16-Megapixel Burst Photography, Support Emerging 4K2K Standard in High Resolution Recording

SANTA CLARA, Calif., May 22, 2012 /PRNewswire/ — OmniVision Technologies, Inc. (NASDAQ: OVTI), a leading developer of advanced digital imaging solutions, today announced the OV16820 and OV16825, two 16-megapixel CameraChip sensors that support 16-megapixel burst photography and can capture 4K2K video, or Quad Full High Definition (QFHD), at 60 frames per second (FPS). Built on the high-performance 1.34-micron OmniBSI-2™ pixel architecture, the OV16820 and OV16825 were developed by OmniVision to support emerging standards in high-resolution video recording for the digital still and video camera (DSC/DVC) markets and the high-end smartphone market, respectively.

“It was an industry-wide assumption that smartphones would cut into DSC/DVC sales; but at higher resolutions, we’re seeing a very distinct divide between the two markets and both remain strong,” said Devang Patel, senior product marketing manager at OmniVision. “Industry experts have observed that mainstream DSC products are shifting to 16-megapixel resolutions and are offering improved image quality and optics. The OV16820 supports such offerings, allowing DSC/DVC manufacturers to provide consumers a high-resolution, feature-rich point and shoot photography experience, while the OV16825 provides top-tier imaging and video recording capabilities for flagship smartphones.”

The 1/2.3-inch OV16820 and OV16825 image sensors are capable of operating in full resolution (4608 x 3456) video at 30 FPS, 4K2K (3840 x 2160) video at 60 FPS, and 1080p HD video at 60 FPS with extra pixels for electronic image stabilization (EIS). Additionally, the sensors enable full resolution 16-megapixel burst photography, a critical feature for DSC applications. All required image processing functions, including defective pixel and noise canceling, RAW scaling, image size, frame rate, exposure, gain, cropping and orientation are programmable through the serial camera control bus (SCCB) interface.

The sensors are offered with industry-standard connectivity, including up to 8-lane MIPI and LVDS output interfaces for high data transfer rates. The OV16820 is available for sampling in a ceramic land grid array (CLGA) package while the OV16825 will be available in die form (RW/COB). Both are expected to enter volume production by the fourth quarter of 2012.
Details from Omnivisions website

Love my tech, especially on the video end.

My cell phone (HTC Sensation 4G) now does 1080/30p @ 20 Mbs and the results in good lighting are pretty phenomenal for a cell phone. When I show off footage at the local Fry's store, I always get a crowd asking the source of the footage. I always get the jaw drops when I tell them it's from my CELL PHONE! Played back via HDMI @ full res from the same phone....

I'm excited to see what 4K from a cell phone is going to look like!

Cheers.
Troy Lamont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2012, 08:56 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Omnivision introduces 16 megapixel cell phone camera module with 4K 60fps!

Good grief. This is a great example of technology benefiting the marketing department. Although, perhaps if you scale the phone's 4K video down to 1080p, you'll get something pretty. :) Hard to imagine crappy phone optics, codecs, and low-bandwidth storage media being a recipe for success with one of these chips.
Old May 25th, 2012, 12:47 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Interesting... it appears this new sensor is designed for BOTH the high end cell phone market AND the consumer P&S still/video market.

Sure an indacator that higher resolution video could become "mainstream" sooner rather than later, especially if the "big boys" pick up on it and make it work. I see bandwidth and storage as a potential issue, but memory speeds and size keep going up anyway, guess we need some new tech to fill it up faster!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2012, 03:19 PM   #4
Space Hipster

That's the same size sensor that's in the JVC HMQ10 4k camera. I can see this chip going into a prosumer cam soon.
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2012, 04:58 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Imagine... soon we'll be saying "HD is so outdated..." gotta love technology.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2012, 05:10 PM   #6
Major Player

On the cell phone side this is probably not much use beyond marketing, but the possibilities of the technology are still exciting. Think 4k in GoPros, small quad-rotor aerial rigs, handheld bullet-time rigs, etc.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News