Sony Announcement, 26th July. - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Closed Thread

Old July 24th, 2012, 03:24 PM   #61
Inner Circle

Re: Sony Announcement, 26th July.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Wood View Post
Fully approved codec is no guarantee though; Sony have just had the PMW-100 with 50mbs XDCAM codec not approved by the BBC.......
That doesn't surprise me at all, but (not surpisingly) it's going to be the front end that lets the PMW100 down. The earlier comment was intended to specifically relate between the EX1, XF305 and HPX250, my apologies for not being clearer.

I believe the BBC will accept an EX1 at the moment - provided it is coupled to an external recorder like a nanoFlash to give at least 50Mbs. Build that codec in, and keep the same (or better) front end and I can't see why it won't be even more acceptable than the XF305.

Last edited by David Heath; July 24th, 2012 at 05:13 PM.
Old July 24th, 2012, 05:07 PM   #62
Inner Circle

The PMW-100 was never going to be accepted and anyone that thought it might needs to look at the minimum specs that the BBC and EBU have for a broadcast camera.

For long form programme aquisition EBU R 118 requires that cameras have 3 x 1/2" sensors and a minimum of a 50Mb/s 422 codec. There is a dispensation for 3x 1/3" sensors provided they meet specific testing requirements.

For news you can use 3x 1/3" or 3x 1/2" with a minimum of 35Mb/s according to EBU R 118.

But in no instance can you use a single small sensor as your main camera for any type of broadcast production, so the PMW-100 was never going to get approved, same story with the Canon XF100/105. That's not what the PMW-100 was designed for. The idea behind it is a small camera using the same codec and thus same workflow as the PMW-500 for getting occasional pick shots that fall into the 20% of a programme that can be shot with non "HD" cameras.
Old July 24th, 2012, 11:41 PM   #63
Major Player

If it is EX1 replacement as the leaks suggest, it won't have 1080 50/60p, because I think it's not supported by the MPeg2 compression. It is kind of surreal that a €600 still camera can output that and not a €6000 pro video camera.
Old July 25th, 2012, 06:30 AM   #64
Inner Circle

So what? I had an inexpensive 3-chip TM700 that recorded 1080p60. I'd take the EX1R image over it any day.
Old July 25th, 2012, 09:21 AM   #65
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmanuel Plakiotis View Post
If it is EX1 replacement as the leaks suggest, it won't have 1080 50/60p, because I think it's not supported by the MPeg2 compression.
It is supported by MPEG2. It's not a standard but it is supported.
Old July 25th, 2012, 09:31 AM   #66
Trustee

Looks like we have "credible" people saying that the PMW 200 will have iPad and Android WiFi control.

I got a feeling this camera will be a huge seller.

Bye bye XDACM EX 4:2:0. Looks like Sony is done making cameras with this codec. It seems that 4:2:0 will be the sole domain of NXCAM moving forward.

Alister, have you seen one yet? (Damn,....I guess you cant talk until tomorrow)

Cliff
Old July 25th, 2012, 10:16 AM   #67
Inner Circle

This does beg the question: Is there still value in a EX1+Nanoflash combo because of this?

For those not planning to exceed 50Mbps, this does cancel out the reason to get a EX1/EX1R.

Personally, I always shoot 100Mbps with the Nanoflash when I'm using it so I don't see a compelling reason to upgrade as of yet.
Old July 25th, 2012, 10:45 AM   #68
Trustee

I LOVE my EX1r. Especially when shooting to Avid DNxHD 10bit 4:2:2

However, the camera is based off the EX1 and that camera is a few years old now. The EX1r is a bit "dirty" in the upper gain levels by today's standards. I have a NEX VG20 that is beautiful at +12db. Even +18db is very usable. Even the NX70 looks very clean at +12 & 15db. Much better cleaner than the EX1r at +9db. (not saying it's a better image, just saying it's "cleaner")

In these last few years, Sony has made HUGE improvements in sensor readout, post processing and noise reduction. Just look at what they have been able to do with the single 1/3rd inches today. It's crazy to see what they are getting from these little guys. The processing on the FS100 and F3 are fantastic as well. (granted, those are large sensors)

I have a very strong feeling that if Sony "allows" this new PMW 200 to have all the current sensor readout and processing technology that they have developed so far,...we will see the PMW 200 having far superior noise handling to the "old" EX1 cameras. ("old"...lol..I cant believe I'm saying that)

Imagine having an EX1r or EX3 that looks just as clean at +12db as it does at 0db.

I hope we see Alister pop out with his surprise PMW 200 field test results tomorrow. ;-)

EX1r for sale!

CT
Old July 25th, 2012, 11:51 AM   #69
Major Player

QUOTE=Jack Zhang;1745343]This does beg the question: Is there still value in a EX1+Nanoflash combo because of this?

For those not planning to exceed 50Mbps, this does cancel out the reason to get a EX1/EX1R.

Personally, I always shoot 100Mbps with the Nanoflash when I'm using it so I don't see a compelling reason to upgrade as of yet.[/QUOTE]

I have an EX1 and Nanoflash combo and also record at 100mbps - if the only major difference in this camera is 50mbps and 422 without any significant upgrade in tweaking the sensors for better low light performance, less noise - I also see no reason to upgrade. I also like the idea of 4-7 second pre record buffer and having duplicate recording capability in case there is a problem with any corrupted files on the in-camera recording system.
Old July 25th, 2012, 12:24 PM   #70
Inner Circle

I feel sad to see the flip-under LCD not re-instated in future models. This is really beneficial if you want to retract your LCD with a light on the front shoe mount (for instance, a Flolight Microbeam with a 970 battery) and still want to open it later on.
Old July 25th, 2012, 02:38 PM   #71
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Totten View Post
I hope we see Alister pop out with his surprise PMW 200 field test results tomorrow. ;-)
Possibly :-)

The embargo ends at 2am tomorrow UK time.
Old July 25th, 2012, 03:42 PM   #72
Inner Circle

That's coming up quick. 3 hours to go.

I'll really need to see results shot at 18db gain before I reconsider skipping this.
Old July 25th, 2012, 05:07 PM   #73
Major Player

Here is the announcement:

Sony Brings HD 4:2:2 Workflow to XDCAM Camcorder Line at DV Info Net

So its an EX1R with 50Mb/s 4:2:2 MXF recording and a Wi-Fi remote facility to follow in December with a free firmware update.
Suggested price: $7790
Old July 25th, 2012, 05:33 PM   #74
Obstreperous Rex

Continued in a new thread at:

Sony PMW-200 Brings HD 4:2:2 Workflow to XDCAM Camcorder Line -- Discussion Thread

See you there!

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News