Sony PMW-200 Brings HD 4:2:2 Workflow to XDCAM Camcorder Line - Page 14 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 11th, 2012, 10:06 PM   #196
Vortex Media

Re: Sony PMW-200 Brings HD 4:2:2 Workflow to XDCAM Camcorder Line

Hi David, I see your point -- but I did qualify my comments by saying 24-bit. Although the PMW-320 is capable of 4 channels, they are only 16-bit.
I should have been more clear.
Old October 11th, 2012, 10:07 PM   #197
Major Player

Great overview, Doug! That answered all of my questions about these 3 new models.
David Knaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2012, 01:42 AM   #198
Regular Crew

Doug,
One more simple question.
Is the DVCAM format switchable between 16:9 and 4:3 ?

Rajiv
Rajiv Attingal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2012, 07:17 AM   #199
Vortex Media

The camera offers options for "Squeeze" or "Edge Crop" when shooting SD. However, I can't see any justification to ever shoot SD no matter what type of program you're working on. And if you do configure the camera for SD, then a lot of the best features and functions will be disabled.
Old October 13th, 2012, 07:52 AM   #200
Regular Crew

Doug,

The SD is required in India because most of the broadcast is still in SD 4:3.

It is important to me, since I am doing some broadcast stuff and some corporate work.

I prefer to shoot the broadcast projects in SD 4:3 since it is easy to edit and transfer to DVCAM tape

without sacrificing any loss in down scaling.

For the other projects of course I will shoot @ 50 mbps 4:2:2.

Rajiv.
Rajiv Attingal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2012, 10:32 AM   #201
Vortex Media

Rajiv, you have to do what you have to do, but here in the USA, it is preferred to shoot with HD at all times no matter if the editing will be done in HD or SD. These days HD is just as easy to edit as SD and offers several advantages in post even if you are editing with an SD timeline. I highly encourage everyone to shoot with HD at all times, plus as I said, when the camera is in an SD mode, some of the functions are disabled. When it's done properly, down-convtered HD to SD looks better than if it was shot SD in the first place. This is the same reason a lot of high-end productions now shoot in 4K and downconvert to HD. Plus having the raw footage archived as HD clips future-proofs the footage in case it is needed again someday. I have not shot anything in SD since early 2006. But each person needs to come to their own conclusions.

BTW, I never shot on VHS even if my program was going to be distributed on VHS. :-)
Old October 13th, 2012, 09:22 PM   #202
Regular Crew

Anyone know if the lens is par focal?
John M. Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2012, 09:34 PM   #203
Vortex Media

Yes. All Sony camcorders that have a fixed lens are parfocal.
Old October 13th, 2012, 11:03 PM   #204
Major Player

In working with the PMW-200, I have discovered an irritation that I haven't seen mentioned here. When using the handle zoom rocker (not the main rocker on the camera body), the zoom continues for about a half second after you release the switch. This occurs regardless of whether you are zooming in or out. For me, this makes the handle zoom relatively unusable. This should be corrected in the next model. Also, the record button on the main body of the camera is extremely stiff. Even on a tripod, its difficult not to move the camera forward when pushing this button. Fortunately, the record button on the handle is easy to use. This should also be corrected by Sony in the future.
Mark Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2012, 11:19 PM   #205
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Jensen View Post
Yes. All Sony camcorders that have a fixed lens are parfocal.
Has anyone been able to replicate the issue found by this user?

PMW-200 Focus issue part 2 mskogstrom photography
John M. Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2012, 05:18 AM   #206
Vortex Media

I wasn't aware of that article until you posted it, so I thought I'd get my camera out and really check it even though I've had my PMW-200 for about two months and have not noticed any problems.
I set it up on a Fujinon test chart against a contrete wall that has a lot of small texture to it. I fed the video output to a very sharp PVM-1741 OLED monitor.

The conclusion: No problems at all through the whole range of the zoom. Focus holds just fine. Sounds like maybe the guy who wrote the article should have the camera's back focus checked.
Old October 14th, 2012, 05:34 AM   #207
Vortex Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Donnell View Post
In working with the PMW-200, I have discovered an irritation that I haven't seen mentioned here. When using the handle zoom rocker (not the main rocker on the camera body), the zoom continues for about a half second after you release the switch. This occurs regardless of whether you are zooming in or out. For me, this makes the handle zoom relatively unusable. This should be corrected in the next model. Also, the record button on the main body of the camera is extremely stiff. Even on a tripod, its difficult not to move the camera forward when pushing this button. Fortunately, the record button on the handle is easy to use. This should also be corrected by Sony in the future.
Mark,

It sounds like you don't have the right menu setting for the zoom switch on the handle. Go to CAMERA SET > ZOOM TRANSITION and change it from "soft" to "linear". Linear is the factory-default so somebody must have changed it at some point. Linear will stop when you let go of the button, and soft continues on a little bit as the camera tries to avoid coming to an abrupt stop.

I would suggest not using that switch anyway. The control on the handle is not a pressure-sensitive rocker like the zoom control on the grip and you're never going to get a decent looking zoom from it. It is just a simple on/off switch, with no pressure sensitivity, and no finesse. That's why the handle has a "soft" menu setting to sort of give it some ramping. But it never looks good. Use the grip instead.

As for the record button on the grip, that is purposely designed to be stiff and it couldn't be changed in a firmware update even if Sony wanted to -- nor would most people want them to. That switch is really intended to be used for handheld shooting and if the button was too soft or too easily pressed, that would become a big problem when the camera is being held by the grip I is better to have a nice tight button that won't get accidentally pressed.

If you want a record button that is easier to press and reach, why not program assign button 5 for record? It's in a much better position for tripod shooting than trying to reach around to the other side of the camera. Just a suggestion.
Old October 14th, 2012, 12:30 PM   #208
Inner Circle

The EX1/EX3's back-focus can be upset by rough handling, bumps or knocks, I expect the PMW-200 is no different and that might explain the focus issues noted in the link. After shipping from japan who knows what the cameras been through. As Doug says all that needs to be done I suspect is to run the back focus routine. The only problem is how to get into the service menu?
Old October 14th, 2012, 01:33 PM   #209
Major Player

Thanks for the great suggestions, Doug ! I never would have thought to look for a menu item for that handle rocker adjustment. I believe that I might use the handle rocker for fine adjustments to the zoom where it would otherwise be hard to get the right initial pressure on the body rocker. The idea for button 5 also sounds great - I didn't know that the buttons could be programmed for record. Thanks again !
Mark Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2012, 01:55 PM   #210
Major Player

Doug, in your for-hire shooting, what percentage of the shots will be done with the PMW-200?
Galen Rath is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds