Sony PMW-200 Brings HD 4:2:2 Workflow to XDCAM Camcorder Line - Page 17 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 22nd, 2013, 10:39 AM   #241
Regular Crew

Re: Sony PMW-200 Brings HD 4:2:2 Workflow to XDCAM Camcorder Line

Yes, I was glossing over the jpg vs raw details myself for want of conciseness. I have in fact done that kind of gradation expansion test in the past, as a way of comprehending bit depth. Video is a very different world, as we don't have the luxury of not worrying too much about file sizes. I haven't tried the addition of noise (I will at some point), but it makes perfect sense. Much of what you say is analogous to the world of audio, where the noise floor consideration of analog equipment would seem to trump having 24 bit acquisition. In that scenario we worry a lot about headroom and the effect of torturing the dynamics in post, but it is a luxury we can afford. Interestingly, we apply a dithering technique, basically adding a little noise, when finally rendering to 16 bit for CD. Anyway, I'm fairly convinced now of 8-bit depth sufficiency for the "front end" limitations of the kind of equipment we are referring to, having read both your and Alister's posts on this topic. Thank goodness for these forums - and thanks again.

Last edited by Terence Morris; March 22nd, 2013 at 01:19 PM.
Terence Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2013, 09:44 AM   #242
New Boot

Is there a way to adjust the colors of the lcd monitor from the service menu and how can I access it?
Gregory Argyropoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2013, 11:26 AM   #243
Inner Circle

News Flash... this just in... Sony announces EX3 replacement: "Based on customer feedback the PMW-300 features an innovative semi-shoulder design that has a rotary hand grip, allowing comfortable recording over long periods of time." ... the rotary grip lives.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds