DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Digital Video Industry News (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/)
-   -   new Sony mirror-less full frame cam (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/510594-new-sony-mirror-less-full-frame-cam.html)

Glen Vandermolen September 9th, 2012 08:56 PM

new Sony mirror-less full frame cam

Full frame, fixed 35mm Zeiss lens, in a compact body. And it does AVCHD 2.0.

Sony RX1 Leaks: A Full Frame Fixed Lens Compact Camera for $2800

Jack Zhang September 9th, 2012 09:41 PM

Re: new Sony mirror-less full frame cam

Key word: Fixed Lens.

This eliminates tons of potential that this would have with fitting F1.4s or F0.9s.

Andy Wilkinson September 10th, 2012 02:52 AM

The one to look out for is the rumoured A99 mirrorless Full Frame DSLR - should get formally announced in the next few days (There are some supposedly leaked pictures of it on the web - I won't post them here).

It'll be interesting to see how that one might stack up against the 5DMkIII, et al for video.

Glen Vandermolen September 10th, 2012 04:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Zhang (Post 1752415)
Key word: Fixed Lens.

This eliminates tons of potential that this would have with fitting F1.4s or F0.9s.

I would think f2.0 on a full frame sensor would give plenty of potential.

Zach Love September 10th, 2012 11:29 AM

Two things:

1 - This is still in the rumor mill. I'm doubtful because it says it has an optical viewfinder, yet I don't see where it could fit.

2 - If this is competing against a Leica range finder, I could see the market it is intended for. But HDSLR shooters aren't going to be too interested & Leica is going to be a hard giant to take down. It is like a Hyundai competing with a BMW, a Hyundai could be more luxury than a BMW at a much lower sticker price, but it still won't be a BMW.

Dave Blackhurst September 10th, 2012 02:30 PM

The optical VF is an external device if you read the posting, and yep, this seems like a very "limited market" camera, something Sony is doing a lot of lately, searching for a profitable market niche as the consumer gives up their little still and video cameras for the one in their phone... (Sony is also making THOSE sensors, some with quite innovative features)

Personally, the phone cam is the cam of last resort, but it's killing the "traditional" camera market. For companies like Sony, they have to be looking for other profitable market niches.

Zach Love September 11th, 2012 12:21 PM

Missed the bit about how the optical VF works. Something I'd like to see, because I have no idea how you'd add an optical view finder as an add on.

Glen Vandermolen September 11th, 2012 09:45 PM

Official release info:

PHOTOGRAPHIC CENTRAL: Sony Cybershot RX1 Preview

There is an option for an OLED EVF or an OVF. But this camera won't be cheap.

Glen Vandermolen September 12th, 2012 05:42 AM

here's a sample of its video capabilities:

Joe Ogiba September 12th, 2012 06:59 AM

Glen Vandermolen September 14th, 2012 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zach Love (Post 1752812)
Missed the bit about how the optical VF works. Something I'd like to see, because I have no idea how you'd add an optical view finder as an add on.

It mounts onto the hotshoe on top of the camera. This link has plenty of pics with the OVF, as well as other attachments:

Sony RX1 Hands-on Photos | PhotographyBLOG

I have no idea how to use an OVF. Obviously, it shows the 35mm view you're getting, but how do you focus?

Glen Vandermolen September 14th, 2012 07:11 AM

Nice videos, Joe, but those are for the VG900, not the RX1.