Fuji to stop producing movie film at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Digital Video Industry News
Events, press releases, bulletins and dispatches from the DV world at large.

Old September 19th, 2012, 06:01 AM   #1
Space Hipster

Fuji to stop producing movie film

The days of motion picture film are truly coming to an end. Long live digital!

Digital devices killed film: Japan's giant Fujifilm to stop making film for movies — RT
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2012, 06:35 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Fuji to stop producing movie film

I hope not, film still has a look of it's own and is still being used by a number of stills photographers. Fuji are continuing to manufacture film for archiving digital productions.

A number of DPs would prefer that Kodak had stopped and Fuji had taken up the slack because their films still looked like film compared to the HD looking Kodak stocks. There are a number of companies continuing to manufacture B & W. film. Unfortunately, there isn't the volume of business that was created by print film for distribution.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2012, 06:36 AM   #3
Inner Circle

They indicate that photographic film will remain in production. There is a bit more detail regarding the products affected on a FujiFilm news release.

Announcement on Motion Picture Film Business of Fujifilm | Fujifilm Global
Old September 20th, 2012, 02:32 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Good to hear that Fuji continues to produce still film.

I just recently got an early '70s Bronica S2A that shoots 6x6 (60mm x 60mm) stills on 120 film. I mainly shoot Fuji Acros 100.

Learning to shoot DSLR video first is great. You have to shoot manual. With 8-bits, you have to get it right. You get fast feedback so you learn quickly. Each shot is cheap as it just eats a few cents worth of hard drive.

Going to film stills after that is easy. You don't get fast feedback, but good skills produce consistently good results. Big, old cameras are cheap. It's the film and processing that costs money.

There's a big difference in perceived value. I can snap a photo with my phone, send it to friends, and it quickly fades from memory. Shoot film, develop it, pick a great shot, and create an enlargement, and it belongs in a nice frame.

Anyway, shooting film stills makes me really appreciate the medium. It's sad to see cinema film coming to such an abrupt end.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > Digital Video Industry News