DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Digital Video Industry News (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/)
-   -   Kodak has a new vision ... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-video-industry-news/511659-kodak-has-new-vision.html)

Allan Black October 24th, 2012 02:37 PM

Kodak has a new vision ...

so don't be negative about them ..

Kodak Releases More Film Stock for Archiving and Preservation | Studio Daily

Cheers.

Mark Kenfield October 24th, 2012 06:26 PM

Re: Kodak has a new vision ...

Still undoubtably the only real long-term archival medium I'd trust given the pace of digital technology at the moment - and the main reason I don't think film will be completely wrapped up as a medium for a long time to come.

Adrian Frearson October 25th, 2012 02:14 AM

It's such a mixed bag of news at the moment. Only yesterday, Kodak announced on their Facebook page that online ordering was being phased out ( I think this was only available in the U.S? ). Probably part of their restructuring plan. But if they're continuing the commitment to archival stocks, as well as camera stocks, then it's all good for those that want the choice.

David Heath October 25th, 2012 02:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Kenfield (Post 1760467)
Still undoubtably the only real long-term archival medium I'd trust given the pace of digital technology at the moment .......

I know what you mean - but do remember that any medium is only viable as long as equipment exists to make use of it. What use is a roll of film in perfect condition if you can't view it?

That may seem to be a very long way off at the moment, and I'd have to agree there. But although there is a lot of film equipment around at the moment, the less it gets used for production, the less for cinema distribution, you can expect it to become scarce relatively quickly from now on.

And whilst simple viewing on a Steenbeck or projector may indeed be possible for a long time to come, what about making use of the material in another form? I foresee telecine facilities becoming rarer, and therefore likely more expensive.

Regarding digital storage, the advantage it can offer is degradation free copying, and that without equipment anything like as expensive as a telecine. The implication of that is that even if the physical medium may have a short life, the file can last a long time without degradation. But it does mean active management of any archive, always making sure the physical media hasn't become obsolete. What you can't do is just put such an asset on a shelf for years and forget it.

Brian Drysdale October 25th, 2012 03:40 AM

Film scanners are available (some people have made their own) and the storage format doesn't change. Building a mechanical viewing system is relatively simple late 19th century early 20th century technology, which has advantages.in that new kit can easily be manufactured. ,